82 Year Old Sikh Wants To Sell Kidney Just To Pay Power Bill

S1ngh

old-sikh.jpg

Fatehgarh Sahib, Punjab: An 82-year-old resident of Mohadiyan village of Fatehgarh Sahib district, Gurdev Singh Panag, wants to sell his kidney for the survival of his family and pay the electricity bill.

He recently expressed his desire to sell his kidney through a Punjabi newspaper.

Talking to HT at his house, Panag said, “Although I am entitled for the old-age pension of Rs 250 per month, but I am not getting it regularly.“ About the selling of his kidney, he said, “By doing this, I will not only get money but it will also give me satisfaction of saving another person’s life.“ He said that he had served in Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee-run Gurdwara Sri Fatehgarh Sahib from 1949 to 1952. He said he was languished in jail in 1955 during Punjabi Subha Morcha.

He rued that neither the SGPC nor the state government recognised his services. Because of his poor financial condition, he had to mortgage his land in 1960. He had to work as a labourer in Ladakh in 1962.

He is the father of five sons and two daughters, of which one daughter has expired. His wife has also expired. His elder son lives in Gujarat. Another son lives in Jaipur. Of the rest three sons, two are drivers and one is a mechanic in the village.

Gurdev has started a small shop in his house where he lives with his two sons. But because of poverty, he had to sell his shop’s furniture to pay the electricity bill. He said he came to know through newspapers that by selling one of his kidneys, he would get good amount of money.

http://www.sikhsangat.org/82-year-old-sikh-wants-to-sell-kidney-just-to-pay-power-bill