Great Singer Kuldeep Manik Is No More

Vijayender

Kuldeep Manak born in 1949 came from a family of musicians. His ancestors were Hazoori Ragi's who sung Kirtan for Maharaja Hira Singh of Nabha. Born Latif Mohammed, he later converted to Sikhism and changed his name to Kuldeep Singh.

I wouldn't trust everything you read on wikipedia mate. Someone who's a fan of hazoori ragi obviously thought it'd be a good idea to add that to his profile. The fact of the matter is that as he was born into a muslim mirasi family......it has been the tradition since the beginning of Sikhism for the muslim mirasis to be the singers of kirtan and shabads in the Gurdwaras. The tradition of Sikhs doing the singing in the Gurdwaras only really started after 1947 when most of the mirasis went to Pakistan.

That aside, the man was a true legend of Punjabi folk. No other Punjabi singer has or ever will come close. A real loss.....but with his heavy drinking it was always on the cards.

I wouldn't trust everything you read on wikipedia mate. Someone who's a fan of hazoori ragi obviously thought it'd be a good idea to add that to his profile. The fact of the matter is that as he was born into a muslim mirasi family......it has been the tradition since the beginning of Sikhism for the muslim mirasis to be the singers of kirtan and shabads in the Gurdwaras. The tradition of Sikhs doing the singing in the Gurdwaras only really started after 1947 when most of the mirasis went to Pakistan.

That aside, the man was a true legend of Punjabi folk. No other Punjabi singer has or ever will come close. A real loss.....but with his heavy drinking it was always on the cards.

West London Singh,

It's a well known fact Kuldeep Manak changed his religion to a Sikh. You can go on the Web and just google the guy, you'll get countless evidence.

West London Singh,

It's a well known fact Kuldeep Manak changed his religion to a Sikh. You can go on the Web and just google the guy, you'll get countless evidence.

I know he changed his religion from muslim to sikh. Thats not in question. What I said was that the 'Hazoori Ragi' thing makes no sense to me at all. A hazoori fan put it up on wikipedia and now the whole world takes it as gospel. The simple fact is that like most Punjabi mirasis (muslim), his family had a long, long tradition of singing in the gurdwaras. 'Hazoori' has absolutely nothing to do with him and his family.

• 2 months later...