Ilex Anyone?

Guest singh

Gurfateh all,

Just got a non-sikhi, careers related question.

I'm studying law (llb) at university, I am considering going for ILEX upon graduation, just wondering has anyone followed this route? How difficult is it to get the five years qualifying experience and what is the pay like during this period and after becoming a fellow? If anyone who is going through ILEX or is a fellow I would really appreciate it if you would help me out, I really need to talk to anyone in the field.

Thanks

Gur Fateh Jeeo!

I'm also studying law and am in my third year. Recently I went to a legal fair and enquired about the course, at first it seems a good route to take however after speaking to cousins that have also taken law a LPC would be a better option. Yes it costs more however with a inlets you will never be a solicitor!

Hope this was of some help!

Fateh!

(null)

A family member of mine said this:....

"gurfateh ji - in my opinion ILEX is the best option only IF you have a job in the legal field.I was lucky enough to be blessed by Vaaheguroo to get work experience within a legal field and then given a full time paralegal role. My employers offered to fund ILEX (which I hadn't even considered) but while working I began to study. I am now a qualified fellow (qualified lawyer/legal executvie), however, I have had to work in the legal field for 5 years continuous while studying - it is not easy. You cannot become a fellow without working - my experience had to include non-contentious as well as contentious legal work. I was lucky enough to fall into these roles. My advice would be go straight onto the LPC and get a training contract if you can afford. Although I am a fellow, I am now doing the LPC so that I won't need a training contract when I finish. ILEX really is best for when you are in a secured job, otherwise you cannot call yourself a fellow until you complete 5 qualifying years.

As for the pay it depends on your employer - for example I am on a decent pay, i qualified as a fellow in september, but my employer wont match me to the market value of a fellow until January 2012 - all depends. You will always earn more as a solicitor which is why I am doing the LPC to change my title even though I do the same work as a solicitor. good luck vjkk vjkf "