Hukam And Karam.

13Mirch

Can anyone please explain to me the relationship between karam and Hukam in Sikhism? And how they affect one's life?

Khalsa Ji

When we as living beings come to earth our accumulation of committed deeds become our paralabdh , and hence our next life form is based on that. Mankind continues to commit actions under agyanta {ignorance} thus going round and round in circles. There comes a time when mankind can , through Naam Simran , can redeem their accumulation of karam {actions} , thus bringing about liberation from the involuntary rebirth lifecycle.

Everything is in the creator's Hukum , i.e. Wahehugur's will. Waheguru comes to earth in Sargun form and then through Naam Simran reverts back to Nirgun saroop. It's all a game that Waheguru is palying with himself.

Big ups to MokhamSingh ji. I would like to add that Hukam literally means command. It is God's command. The laws of the universe that hold everything together. Nothing is outside of Hukam.

In Sikhi, good karma can be attained by meditating on the naam and living in accordance to Hukam. We say Sat naam. The name is truth. What is truth? That is what is unchanging. One is awakened to Hukam when the veil of Maya is lifted. Whoever comes to understand Hukam, removes haumai (ego) from their heart. Ego feeds the illusion of Maya because you are only conscious of yourself. When you become jivan mukht, you see yourself as a part of the universe. You see how everything is connected and that God is all around us.