pentra in gatka

Shastar Man

Wjkk wjkf, i am looking to learn gatka, i have a couple of questions, 1. How many different pentras are there in gatka, could someone list them for me?

2. I have heard of a ustad based in coventry who teaches, empty hands in gatka, does anyone know who they are?

3. Does any ustadknow the relationship with chaands in jaap sahib and pentras?

Please dont start this into a gatka/shastar vidiya debate.

There was someone teaching at Ramgarhia Community Centre Coventry recently, before the commitee banned the classes..apparently they ddnt want people getting injured with shastar. The teacher was apparantly called Harcharan or Harjinder SinghI cant remember exactly.

I dont know what he was teaching exactly it was labelled as shastar vidiya and street defence. But as fas ar your open hands gatka goes, I have never seen any Gatka ustaad in the UK who teaches authentic puratan open hand combat methods. They normally just incorporate tae kwon do or other arts because the Gatka system as im sure you already know is more about exhibitionism than actual combat.

do you want to elaborate and explain which Gatka ustaad that you know the in the UK that have knowledge of purataan unarmed combat systems,, which incorporate striking, grappling, wrestling, fighting multiples, formation fighting, weapon disarming, joint locks and manipulation etc etc.

watch as many Gatka videos on YouTube, Sikh channel, sangat etc.. I still to this day have never seen a Gatka ustaad with any knowledge of traditional unarmed combat. I have seen plenty of Gatka ustaad incorporate karate, tae kwon do and more recently mma into their classes.

You guys seriously need to open your eyes and get some education stop spreading and believing crap like Gatka being an actual combat art..It's clearly not...at best it's a very basic introduction to footwork for young children. most Gatka these days should be renamed synchronized bhangra or giddah..It's become a joke

wjkk wjkf,

thanks for all your replies, does anyone know of the pentras used in gatka, I have only heard of mool pentra and once heard of sher pentra (although it was never demonstrated!). I have also heard of un armed martial exercises called 'sonchi, does anyone know of these?

there must be someone in the UK, who knows this?

wjkk wjkf

The only time I have ever heard Sonchi mentioned, is in the Shastar Vidiya system as taught by Niddar Singh... heres a quote from a student I found by Googling Sonchi..

" Sparing is termed Sonchi, and a format is used to pressure test the student to see how much the principles have been instilled into them. The difference is that no arm guards or helmets are used, so that emphasis is upon evasion of limbs and body. No strike is taught to be resisted, instead the energy of the opponent is to be controlled, reading his movements in order to break structure and achieve a better tactical position.

The aim through training is to achieve the higher skills without damaging your own body. My sparing partner should be able to skillfully deliver a killing blow which cannot be denied, and at the same time not hurt me. Through this method the student can learn, and maintain a healthy body. Too many hits to bones, limbs and joints will not serve you well in later life, so through a controlled training environment and a martial yoga system, the body is kept healthy and in good condition.

I dont need to be hit in the throat to know its in, by placing it there and catching me off guard will allow me to respect the skill much more. On the same token, this art is not to be used for mindless violence, so this control is always drilled into the student. "

I have not yet of any Gatka Ustaad mentioning Sonchi...unless they have adopted the term since Niddar Singh popularised it...as with many terms Gatka ustaads suddenly "borrowed" from his website...

Wjkk wjkf, i did see some gatka ustads demonstrating sonchi, it seemed very haphazard as they were trying block and defend punches.

It did not seem a complete empty hands system. I do feel that my quest to find a gatka ustad who knows the empty, weapons, battlefield

and how they are entwined in bani is going to be fruitless.

I think most gatka ustads do mix western styles of martial arts to form a complete system. We probably have lost the puratan way of

Khalsa yudh.

Is there an audio katha of jathedar baba nihal singh ji, in which they mention jaap sahib and shastar vidiya?

Does anyone have that?

Wjkk wjkf