Sikh & Success: A Role Model

Guest mehtab

Guest mehtab

http://autofeed.msn.co.in/clippath2/innerH...E83EFAA0DC}.asp

A: Sardar kahan miltey hain?

B: Jokes mein!

A: Sardar kahan nahin miltey hain?

B: Ramp par!

You got it, right!? Try to recall how often you’ve spotted a Sikh boy, complete with his turban, selling a product just like other non-turbaned models, or even on the ramp. Let’s allow Gurmeet Singh Gill, 23, to explain: “I wanted to be a model, so I approached an agency (he refuses to divulge the name). But, after making me wait endlessly, they told me that I didn’t stand a chance because I was a Sikh. I didn’t see any logic in denying the Sikh boys the chance to be models. I was hurt and didn’t know what to do.”

Distraught, Gurmeet headed to the Bangla Sahab Gurudwara and a few moments later, he knew what to do. “Rejection was my inspiration. I decided to open my own agency for all those Sikh boys who’ve wanted to be models but denied the chance,” he says. His rejection came in the summer of 2002, and by April 2003, he was on his way to realise his dream. He recalls, “I worked with an agency (he refuses the name again) for about four months, doing all sorts of jobs – cleaning, waiting on the models, taking care of their clothes and even carrying their bags – to get the hang of the job. Then on April 23, 2003, the first ad of my agency – Launchers, appeared in HT City.” He hasn’t looked back since.

The hurt is still lodged in his heart as he explains, “Sikh boys are good looking too, we use the same things that the rest of the people do. Why can’t a Sikh boy be used for m

odelling for a product that spells sophistication.” His efforts have sure borne fruits: a model from his agency – Harpreet Singh is seen in the BSNL campaign these days.

Gurmeet wants to restrict his work area to Sikhs only: “for others, there are other agencies. But, soon, I’ll be taking in girls as well.” He is planning to soon conduct a Mr. Sikh Universe. It’s a huge task, but he is sure he will be able to handle it. He has the will, at least.

Excellent.. Im huge fan of modeling thing :kid: My second dream-job is being model after the film/docu-drama directing stuff lolz... (they are just dreams)

Anyway.. I believe that it should be only done to keep the self-esteem of our young teenagers HIGH.. and they should do it in our sikh traditional way (no trims etc)

I’ll be taking in girls as well.

I will support if they are in traditional sense.. which means no waxing, hair removal or plz no bullemia patients..

BTW.. Awesome work he is doing.. Maybe he should be in contact withJaspal SIngh of india.. who is keshdhari model and won the second place in all over india national level... He went thru couple of difficulties too.. But he did it what he want too..