Resisting zulum

Resisting zulum

The impact of my faith on my experience of medical school

Proud to be both British and Sikh, I come from a family who believe that integration into British society at all levels without surrendering our Sikh identity is important. Although this is relatively easy for a medical student at university, growing up as a young Sikh lad did not come without its difficulties, especially in the playground--since the age of 12, I have worn a turban over my unshorn hair.

Easy to recognise

The turban is a symbol of royalty and dignity, which has historically been held in high esteem in Eastern cultures. However, Guru Gobind Singh Ji, the 10th Sikh Guru, transformed this cultural symbol into a religious requirement for Sikhs. This meant that the long unshorn hair, itself a symbol of spirituality and an acceptance of God's will, could be fully respected and kept tidy, but at the same time it made Sikhs easy to recognise.

This distinctive appearance probably makes many Sikh medical students different from others. Sikhs, just like orthodox Jews, simply cannot deny who they are. Interestingly, many patients on the wards have been all too keen to talk to me and share their experiences of fighting alongside Sikh soldiers during the second world war. Indeed, they too are aware of the importance of the turban to Sikhs. However, sometimes I am aware that I am the first turban wearing Sikh that some patients have seen. Although this itself does not cause any problems--just stares--in the immediate aftermath of the tragic terrorist attacks on 11 September 2001 there was an atmosphere of hostility towards Sikhs, especially in the United States.

Soc

ial obligations

Being a Sikh is more than just appearance. Sikhism lays emphasis on social obligations, through being part of society and having to work for its upkeep. Spurred by their Guru's heritage, Sikhs have a proud history of speaking out against injustice in whatever form it may arise. Just as God transcends the boundaries of race, class, sex, ethnicity, and faith, as a British Sikh, I too aspire to dismiss such earthly distinctions.

Sikh holy men

On numerous occasions, I have had the honour of visiting Harmandir Sahib--popularly known as the Golden Temple--in Amritsar, India. Here, I saw many examples of people throughout history using fundamental Sikh principles to improve the lives of humans. One such example is a Sikh by the name of Bhai Kanhaiya. At the turn of the 18th century, during the turbulent days between the Sikhs and the Mughals, Bhai Kanhaiya used to serve water to the wounded and dying without distinction of friend or foe. Some Sikhs complained to the Guru Gobind Singh Ji that Bhai Kanhaiya had been resuscitating the fallen enemy soldiers. When he was summoned to the 10th Guru, Bhai Kanhaiya said to defend himself, "Yes, my Lord, what they said is true in a sense, but I saw no Mughals or Sikhs in the battlefield. I only saw the Guru's face in everyone." Pleased with the reply, the Guru blessed him and told his Sikhs that Bhai Kanhaiya had understood his teachings correctly. He also handed him some ointment and said, "Remember, when you give water to the wounded, also apply this ointment to their wounds. By doing so, you will be acting as a true Sikh of mine." Even today, many Sikhs see him as one of the pioneers of the tradition of social service. This embodies the Sikh concept of selfless service, thus "recognising the human race as one."

Zulum and chardi kala

Sikhism also impacts on how people experience illness. Our faith decrees that there is no such thing as suffering--or zulum, which means tyranny, oppression, and persecution--in

silence. The doctrine of chardi kala also says that a mind never despairs, never admits defeat, and refuses to be crushed by adversities. This reinforces the Sikh tradition of offering unyielding resistance to zulum. As a medical student, I have come across many Sikhs who, despite being diagnosed with terminal illness, are in the state of chardi kala. Their minds never admit defeat, and they inspire all who are near and dear to them. As Sikhs we pray every day for the wellbeing of all. Sarbat da bhalla means "may peace and prosperity come to all." We hope that no one has to suffer, but if they do then may God give us strength to help the needy.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

• 2 years later...