Charity matches older people who need care with young people who need a house

singhbj singh

20728238_879365125543964_673399078982757
Mankamal Singh

WHY HOMELESSNESS IS IMPORTANT FOR THE ILFORD SIKH COMMUNITY.

Some of you may remember that in 2011 a few of us started a cold winter shelter for the rough sleepers in Ilford. The shelter was run in the gym of Gurdwara Singh Sabha Seven Kings. This was done in response to the growing number of Punjabi men who were sleeping on the streets in Ilford. As volunteers, we would run an overnight shelter from 9pm to 7am, where up to 30 men used to sleep during the freezing cold months of November to February. We were able to carry out this seva for 2 consecutive years with the support of the Gurdwara commitee and volunteers from Seven Kings Gurdwara Gym.

The Gurdwara shelter started when one of us was approached by a volunteer from the Salvation Army who requested turban material as one of the homeless men at their shelter was a Sikh in need of a new turban. When we visited the Salvation Army cold winter shelter to provide the turban, we were shocked to see that the majority of the sleepers were Sikh Punjabi men. This triggered the Gurdwara cold winter shelter project which ran during the winters of 2011/2012 and 2012/2013. 

Unfortunately, due to the lack of support from Gurdwara sangat and issues of security, we were unable to carry on with this Seva at the Gurdwara.

In the 2 winters that we ran the shelter, we developed a relationship with our brothers who used to sleep at the Gurdwara. Whilst many were Sikh, we also had some Muslims, White English, African and Eastern Europeans. It's worth knowing that there were many different reasons for their situation and why they ended up sleeping on the street. Many had developed addictions which made their circumstances more complex. Some were suffering from mental illness. In short, as sevadars/volunteers at the Gurdwara, we were unfortunately inexperienced in many of these matters. 

Some of the rough sleepers moved on and were able get their lives back in order, we helped a few go back to Punjab, one back to Congo and a family back to Mauritius. We helped some get housing and even managed to get casual work for those who were eligible.

It is fair to say that the stability of the Gurdwara shelter over the winter months helped individuals make the right decisions to help them back on their feet.

As we could no longer run the shelter in the Gurdwara, we supported the Salvation Army as best as we could who have successfully been running a winter shelter since 2011. 

However, here we are in 2017 and Ilford still has around 60 homeless rough sleepers, 42 of them have No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF). Of those 42, the majority of them are Sikh Punjabi males who have unofficially entered the UK a few years ago and are now destitute, unable to work, find accommodation or return back to Punjab. Many of us recognise who they are as they have been sleeping rough for many years and congregate in Ilford Town Centre. They do have drink problems and some are chronic alcoholics. Whatever the issues, they are Punjabi, they identify themselves as Sikh and they look for help from their own community. 

Sikhs have a wonderful global reputation for helping the homeless through langar and food. It's now time to really think about how we can help the homeless get out of the situation.

The Salvation Army have managed to acquire a site with the support of Redbridge Council and are building a hostel and training workshops (PROJECT MALACHI) in Ilford to support NRPF rough sleepers. As a local Sikhs, we have also been supporting the funding of this hostel/workshop and also with the running of the project. We have managed to collect some funds from our family and friends. We are still in need to collect more.

I have sent many messages to you and posted a few times on Facebook about Project Malachi. It's great to receive likes, but the reality is the project needs your goodwill.

Below is a link to the launch event which took place a few weeks ago, you can find out more about the project.

If anyone is serious about supporting with either donations or wish to volunteer time once the hostel is up and running, please message me directly. I have given a backdrop to why me and my brother are involved in this project, those who know us will hopefully relate to that and take our involvement as an endorsement. 

I know the nature and content of this post means many people will not really be interested in reading it to the end, thank you if you did.

https://www.facebook.com/Thesikhnetwork/posts/1573341372722088

This is a very good idea, I remember that one of the Sikh channels also did something similar a few years ago. This is why Sikh youth especially those who come up these sorts of solutions to problems within the community need to come forward and become members of youth committees in the Gurdwaras. The Singh Sabha Gurdwara in Southall could easily eradicate the issue of Sikh homelessness in Southall if the committee had the inclination to do so. The Gurdwara owns 5-6 houses in the road behind the Gurdwara as well as a very large house in Beaconsfield Road. Obviously some of these are needed for Ragi and Kirtani Jathas but I am sure one of these could be used to house homeless Sikhs and either get them on their feet or assist them to return back to Punjab. 

The Gurdwaras in this country have the resources to fix all problems that are present in our community but it is the lack of will that prevents Sikhs  in need from benefiting from these resources. 

12 minutes ago, proactive said:

This is a very good idea, I remember that one of the Sikh channels also did something similar a few years ago. This is why Sikh youth especially those who come up these sorts of solutions to problems within the community need to come forward and become members of youth committees in the Gurdwaras. The Singh Sabha Gurdwara in Southall could easily eradicate the issue of Sikh homelessness in Southall if the committee had the inclination to do so. The Gurdwara owns 5-6 houses in the road behind the Gurdwara as well as a very large house in Beaconsfield Road. Obviously some of these are needed for Ragi and Kirtani Jathas but I am sure one of these could be used to house homeless Sikhs and either get them on their feet or assist them to return back to Punjab. 

The Gurdwaras in this country have the resources to fix all problems that are present in our community but it is the lack of will that prevents Sikhs  in need from benefiting from these resources. 

Don't need houses; langar hall, lobby area on Gurdwara premises should be enough to lodge homeless for the night.