Sandwell Council

Premi5

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/muslims-sikhs-join-deselected-sandwell-22266740

Muslims and Sikhs join deselected Sandwell councillors to protest

The protest, which took place at Terry Duffy House, West Bromwich, was against alleged racism in the Labour party

•  
By
Local Democracy Reporter
  • 17:34, 24 NOV 2021

Members of the Muslim and Sikh community protested alongside deselected councillors this morning against the decision by Labour to remove councillors from their elected position in Sandwell.

It comes after four Labour councillors of Asian background did not pass selection panel interviews to stand again as Labour candidates and that the majority of Labour candidates chosen to contest these wards next year identify as BAME.

Up to 75 people, including three of the deselected councillors, attended a protest at Terry Duffy House, the headquarters of West Midlands Labour, against the decision.

READ MORE:Allegations of racism as four Labour councillors deselected at Sandwell council

Their names are Samiya Akhter (St Paul's), Mustaq Hussain ( Oldbury ), Iqbal Padda Singh (Greets Green and Lyng), and Mohammad Rouf (Soho and Victoria), the Local Democracy Reporting Service understands.

One councillor, Samiya Akhter, sent a letter to David Evans, general secretary of the Labour party, accusing Labour's selection process as being "institutionally racist", and believed the party allowed "discriminatory practices".

Cllr Akhter claimed the Labour party has replaced "every single Muslim councillor" in Sandwell up for re-election and alleged, "not a single person of a non-minority was deselected apart from Muslims or Sikhs".

Standing outside with protesters, Cllr Akhter, who works as a nurse, said it was a "ruthless decision" for the National Executive Committee - the governing body of the Labour party - to deselect her.7

"Last Thursday [November 11] I received my interview feedback, and it was absolutely ruthless towards me. I've been a sitting councillor for the Labour party in St Paul's ward for the last four years, so you're telling me that in the interview I was unsuccessful? Wasn't I a great councillor then?

"Being from a Muslim and Pakistani background, I don't see why they have differentiated against me. So I utterly see this as a racial attack personally towards myself.

"This isn't the time to stay quiet - we need to speak up."

Adrian Bailey, the former MP for West Bromwich West, said the response from the national Labour party is "reminiscent" of the responses by Yorkshire cricket club, who have been rocked by racism scandals.

To shouts of "shame on them" and "no racism in Sandwell", Mr Bailey claimed the deselections were not in relation to ex-council leader Mahboob Hussain, who was suspended from the Labour party this year over alleged land deals.

From L - R: Cllr Iqbal Padda Singh, ex-MP Adrian Bailey, Cllr Samiya Akhter, and Cllr Mohammad Rolf, outside West Midlands Labour Headquarters

He said: "This has absolutely nothing to do with Mahboob Hussain. Most of the councillors who were affected weren't even around when Cllr Hussain was leader of Sandwell council.

"It is actually about a very personal agenda, driven through by the National Executive Committee without regard to local

and local sensitivities.

Meanwhile Labour sources say next week's leadership election could end up being a one-horse race.

Cllr Kerrie Carmichael (Blackheath) – who lost out to Mr Singh in May's leadership contest – is the strong favourite to win, with Cllr Simon Hackett (Friar Park) lined up to serve as her deputy.

Last week, Prime Minister Boris Johnson revealed the government may launch an investigation into the running of Sandwell council, while Jacob Rees-Mogg referred to the authority as a “totalitarian communist state”.

But one councillor has hit back at the Labour party's selection process, describing it as "institutionally racist" and believes the party "seems to allow discriminatory practices".

READ MORE:Sandwell council admits it got it wrong on tenancy agreements affecting thousands

In a leaked letter seen by the LDRS, Samiya Akhter (Labs, St Paul’s Ward) wrote to David Evans, the general secretary of the Labour Party, about her selection interview.

Ms Akhter claims the Labour party has replaced "every single Muslim councillor" in Sandwell who were up for re-election, and alleged "not a single person of a non-minority was [sic] deselected apart from Muslims or Sikhs".

The Local Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS) has learned up to four Labour councillors in Sandwell have been deselected after failing to pass the party’s panelling process ahead of the May 2022 local elections.

It is understood the councillors concerned did not pass selection panel interviews to stand again as Labour candidates and that the majority of Labour candidates chosen to contest these wards in 2022 identify as BAME.

Ms Akhter confirmed to the LDRS that in addition to herself, the following councillors did not pass the interview for prospective candidates and have been deselected.

They are: Mustaq Hussain (Labs, Oldbury ), Iqbal Padda Singh (Labs, Greets Green and Lyng) and Mohammad Rouf (Labs, Soho and Victoria).

Anyone here from the area, able to elaborate more on this story ?

I'm surprised that the head of the Council will get paid more than the Prime Minister's Salary!

"Sandwell Council... currently offering £185,000 in the search for the authority's fourth non-elected boss in three years

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/politics/2021/11/26/new-leader-will-herald-return-of-good-governance-in-sandwell-mp-claims/

Next Sandwell Council leader set to be elected unopposed

By Peter MadeleySandwellPoliticsPublished: 14 hours ago

A Blackheath councillor is set to stand unopposed to become the new leader of Sandwell Council.

The borough's Labour group is expected to elect Councillor Kerrie Carmichael to the top job at a meeting on Monday night after no other candidates were put forward.

She will become the council's sixth leader in the last three years, succeeding Rajbir Singh who stood down as both leader and a councillor for personal reasons last week.

Warley MP John Spellar said the change will see Sandwell return to "good governance" and be better placed to attract "high quality applicants" for the chief executive post, which is being advertised.

Current interim leader, Councillor Maria Crompton, is expected to be elected as deputy leader, a role she held last year under former leader Yvonne Davies.

Labour group sources said her election will represent a "major shift" away from events of the last few years when councillors supportive of disgraced former deputy leader Mahboob Hussain have been "running the show".

Councillor Carmichael is expected to officially take over as leader at the next full council meeting on December 7.

Councillor Carmichael has represented Blackheath for nine years and was promoted to the role of cabinet member for neighbourhoods and communities by Mr Singh in September after losing out to him in the last leadership election.

Mr Spellar said: "This means that Sandwell is heading back to good governance and prioritising services for our constituents, which it did for many years.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/sandwell/2021/11/16/sandwell-council-leader-steps-down-after-six-months-in-role/

As well as having a high turnover of political leaders, Sandwell Council has also struggled to retain chief executives and is currently offering £185,000 in the search for the authority's fourth non-elected boss in three years. Kim Bromley-Derry is the current interim chief executive.