How To Take Hukamnama?

WGJKK

WGJKF

I would like to get some knowledge about performing sewa to Sri Guru Granth Sahib (if parkash is at home) in the morning and at sukhassan.

Q1. I would like to know if their is particular way to take sri hukamnama sahib from sri guru granth sahib ji?

Q2. How to perform daily sewa to sri guru granth sahib ji?

Q3. Is there set of rule dictated by SGPC or a REHATNAMA from any organization about performing sewa to Guru ji?

I don't have much knowledge and am also scared of doing anything in wrong way that is not approved or dictated by Guru ji and basically I want to avoid any MANMAT!!

mai pappi tu bakhshan har swami....pardon me for my sin(s)...

Satnam waheguroo....Satnam Waheguroo......

Guru Fateh jio!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

i have the hard copy...

he says...

that first we should do ardas in front of guru ji, asking for hukamnammaa...note...you should be wearing a hazooria when doing this seva...

after performing ardas....

sit at maharaj's tabhiyaaa and you can do gurmantar or some other pangti of gurbani...

after rolling up the rumalla and exposing the saroop....

take a couple of pages in your hand either from the left page or the right page...BUT be consistant...and only fold the pages over ONCE....some people flip some pages one way and then the other way..in baba harnam singh's book it says just flip once...

then on the page the shows up...you read the hukamnamma that is present at the top of the left hand page....if that hukamnamma is a continuation from the previous page...then flip back to the previous page and start the hukamnamma with the last shabad on the right hand page...

i think that covers it...i might have forgotten something...but that's usually the process that i take....after reading the book

WJKK WJKF

GUYS, I KNOW THIS IS AN OLD POST, BUT IT CAUGHT MY ATTENTION AS THESE QUESTIONS ARE GOOD.

I WOULD especially  like to know how to read a hukamnama, like what side of an ang we start from dependin on what specific tiem of the day it is ? etc..?

pls help thanks

wjkk wjkf

92315[/snapback]

WGJKK

WGJKF

Thanks for bringing my post back to light as I thought either no one know or my question isn't phrased properly...

WGJKK

WGJKF

Panthic Sikh Rehat Maryada says about Hukamnama:

CHAPTER-VI

Taking Hukam* (Command)

Article VII

(*Hukam:- Reading or Reading out to others, including the congregation, of a Shabad  (hymns) or a unit of one or more slokas (short scriptural compositions normally of two to  four lines) and a pauri (short stanza of four or more lines) from the Guru Granth Sahib after,  or even without performing, Ardas is an important Sikh ritual. It is called Hukam laina  (Taking the order or command), Vaak laina (taking the word), Awaaz laina (taking the voice).  The hymn or unit goes by the name of Hukam (order, command) Vaak (uttered Word) or  Awaaz (voice).

a. Doing obeisance to the Guru Granth Sahib, respectfully, taking a glimpse of the  congregation, an embodiment of the Guru's person, and taking the command : these  together constitute the view of the Satguru (Immortal destroyer of darkness, the true guru).  Raising the drapery covering the Guru Granth Sahib and merely taking a look or making  others take a look at the exposed page, without taking command (reading the prescribed  hymn) is contrary to Gurmat (Guru's way).

b. In the course of the congregational sessions,  only one thing should be done at a time :  performing of kirtan, delivering of discourse,  interpretative elaboration of the scriptures, or  reading of the scriptures.

c. Only a Sikh, man  or woman, is entitled to be in attendance of the Guru Granth Sahib  during the congregational session.

d. Only a Sikh may read out from the Guru Granth Sahib for others. However, even a  non- Sikh may read from it for himself/herself.

e. For taking the command (Hukam), the hymn (shabad) that is continuing on the top of the left hand  page must be read from the beginning. If the hymn begins on the previous page, turn over  the page and read the whole hymn from the beginning to the end. If the scriptural  composition that is continuing on the top of the left hand page is a vaar (ode) then start from  the first of the saloks preceding the pauri and read upto the end of the pauri. Conclude the  reading at the end of the Hymn with the line in which the name 'Nanak' occurs.

f. Hukam must also be taken at the conclusion of the congregational session or after the Ardas.

Also a very useful article on Panthic Weekly which explains the Sikh Rehat Maryada. Last week's issue explained the Rehat surrounding Gurdwara.

Panthic Weekly - Sikh Rehat Maryada Explained