Beard Of Sikh

I reckon Singhs look better with their beard untied.

However like Mehtab Singh Paaji says you can tie your beard when you have to.

Sikhi is a practical religion.

For reasons such as health and safety or hygiene purpose - tying the beard is okay.

Sikh Rehat Maryada does not cover tying beard or not. However generally all Sikhs tend to have beards untied which shows grace, dignity and honour. However as mentioned above if you have tie your beard for a reason then no problem.

However like Mehtab Singh Paaji says you can tie your beard when you have to.

87881[/snapback]

veerjee, i am a sucker when it comes to following rehits...i m no authority, and if i do something its not coz its always right no.gif ...u and every1 else here are miles ahead of me :umm: .

I do it coz i cant help it...my parents dont want me going to college looking like a babaji blush.gif ...the atmosphere here is totally different from India or USA or Canada wacko.gif ...

however, thanks to Guruji, no one can tell that i have gelled or tied it, as it still looks open :e: ...i dont gel or tie it so bad that it sticks to my skin...so it looks open...and yes, the Sikhs who see me, on 1st sight they can tell that i am Amritdhari :nihungsmile: ...

I'm making a couple of assumptions here so fix me if i'm wrong:

1) you live somewhere in the Middle East..?

2) There are quite a few singhs that leave it open in the ME (that's not an assumption :umm: )

If you have to tie it for reasons such as you're a doctor and you have to tie it for hygiene then go fir it (there are many that do so). But you're just in college man, take it easy let it flow. Respect your parents but as Berkeley said: "Do not believe in the words of a teacher unless you yourself are convinced of the truth contained in his words."

So mind what your parents say, but don't blindly do what they say.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa ..waheguru ji ki fateh ...

My brothers ...let me express what i feel ...I am not YET an amritdhari sikh .....by GURUS Grace ...i hope that will be possible soon ... no.gif

I tie my beard and put Gel on it ...However , i personally think that that it is wrong to do it .... no.gif

What i am going to express ....is something which i believe in ..but still am not able to do ..... no.gifno.gifno.gif

Why should a sikh tie his beard ...If everything is in GODs hands ...and if everything is by OUR GURUS GRACE ...why do we need to tie our beards for hygiene ? GURU GOBIND SINGH or for that matter all our GURUS didnt have hygiene ?? I do not think so ......Why do we need to do it for safety ..? Isnt everything in OUR GURUS hands .....wont he take care of us ..? Isnt everything is our BELOVED FATHERS hands .....? If we do not fear death ...then why fear safety ??

Next .....why should we be embarassed of our sikhi ....Isnt that the whole idea ...To not care what the world thinks about us ....???

To be honest...i tie my beard becuz i feel that, i want others to look at me and not think that i am unhygienic ..etc ....BUT MY BROTHERS and SISTERs ....i feel that that is a wrong mentality .......

I know that i am contradicting myself ..however I just felt like sharing my point of view ..... pray.gif

Bhool CHUK maaf !!!

Waheguru ji ka khalsa ..Waheguru ji ki fateh !!!

the following is not meant to be taken literally to the point of offending anyone, rather it is stated in this manner for the purposes of illustration.............

ever see a sher with a tied beard?

what would you think about the carefree courage of a sher who started to tie his beard for no reason other than to better get along with other animals?

i would say maybe the sher is a bit afraid of something...

Hygiene issue = in situations such as:

- When distributing parshaad,

- Cooking Langar

Traditionally Singhs cover their dhaaree / mouth with a parnaa (piece of material). So they didn't tie their beards but cover it with parnaa etc.

By tying a parnaa around your dhaaree when cooking:

1/ Respect for Dhaaree

2/ You don't want to get food stains on beard

3/ You don't want to burn your beard.

Obviously this applies to Singhs with long beards.

Sorry Veer Jee,

When I posted I was sorta talking to Mehtab Veer Jee.

Sorry.

I still dont get it, there is nothing hygienic about it, I asked my dad why he used to tie his beard his answer was simply: "I'm so used to doing it"

However, I'm glad to say, he is starting to leave it open (slowly, but surely)