What Do you learn or gain from Nagar Kirtan?

W00000OOOOOOoooooooW NICe explaination mann u realy know Your stuff

What is the point?

- Nagar Kirtans originate from "Parbhaat Pheris"... Gursikhs would carry Vaaja, Chhainey, and Dholki and sing shabads early in the morining while walking around the whole village/city... A singh with a long Nishaan Sahib and the Kirtani would lead the singing procession... people would wake up and join the procession and join to sing shabads... the processions also gave oppurtunity to distribute relevant useful Gurmat literature to the public and share a positive image of the Guru's Khalsa. :doh:

Since 40 or 50 yrs (to my knowledge) we have started doing processions which include Guru Maharaaj's Sawaari (without Prakaash) and also Panj Pyaare leading the procession.

What do you learn?

Old style Nagar Kirtans / Parbhaat Pheris inspire people to sing Gurbaani, join Old style Nagar Kirtans give oppurtunity to:

1) Distribute LiteratureSangat and rally the community together. :TH:

2) Provide positive Gursikh role models and positive impression of Sikhs

3) Community spirit

4) Inspiring others to sing and understand Gurbaani

5) "Chant the Name of the Lord, and Inspire Others to Chant the Name of the Lord"

:doh:

Current day Nagar Kirtans:

You learn to:

1) Eat loads of pokarey, langar, jalebis, ladoos and anything else you can squeeze in your stomach.  <_<

2) Wave Large and Small Nishaan Sahibs and have a laugh with your mates. no.gif

3) Decorate your car with Khandas and drive up and down the town looking for girls/boys. (shame, shame, shame) no.gif

Are they effective in regards to Gurmat (the Guru's teachings)?

- Today's Southall Nagar Kirtan, seemed very minimal in its effect of Gurmat on youngster.

- Kirtan being sung was the only Gurmat thing. blush.gif

- People were dancing, and stupidly waving their arms (like Bhangra artists do when singing a love song!) to Dharmic Songs about Guru Gobind Singh Ji and the Khalsa (Desi Radio float) - when i questioned them on their manmat, they sed they had permission of from the Parbandhaks and started kicking off with me and the Gursikh veers with me. :wub:

- People were roaming around with Khandas, Nishaan Sahibs and acting as if it was a street carnival. rolleyes.gif

TODAY's NAGAR KIRTAN = HAD NO POSITIVE EFFECT ON YOUNGSTERS (to my experience and understanding).... NO-ONE LEARNT ANYTHING ABOUT GURU JI, ABOUT KHALSA, ABOUT REHAT AND GURBAANI... NO-ONE WAS INSPIRED BY ANYTHING OR ANYONE. :wub:

We celebrate 306 years of the Khalsa Panth - but we do learn? how do we improve ourselves and what steps do we take to change and adjust our lives to become closer to Guru Ji and get the Kushee of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

bhul chuk maaf karnee ji.

91802[/snapback]

bsbk123 ji, youve brought up some good points, as has sher punjabi

It's true that nagar kirtans might have some bad aspects because some people might go there with bad intentions

But there are loads of amritdhari people who i know, young and old alike, who love nagar kirtans and are VERY inspired by them. Most of them walk in the nagar kirtan and sing kirtan all day, and it can be very inspirational for moneh or amritdhari people to see everybody dressed up in Khalsa bana and singing kirtan, partaking in gatka, etc.

(we should focus on the good as well).

Nagar kirtans used to inspire me the most when I wasnt as strict with my sikhi, because it was always inspirational to watch people do Gatka and the way it seemed like the whole fauj was walking together. It makes some people really happy, because so many Gursikhs come out to the nagar kirtans and it feels like everyone is united.

I think more people benefit from them. People i know are always looking forward to the nagar kirtan because it puts them into chardi kala and gives them a buzz of love and pride

bhul chuk maaf.. waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Waheguru jee kee FAteh

I agreee No One Jee that we should see good / positive but the quantity of that quality ppl is getting decreased day by day.

As i earlier said having so many nagar kirtan is no use man, think if we have one combind big nagar kirtan for whole area then instead of having small small nagar kirtans. I think that way we can save money, time as well we can inspire more sangat for sikh plus it would be an awesome chance for meeting new gursikhs of different localities.

One more thing I really wish should be corrected is that in India when nagar kirtan is going on , sangat is doing kirtan behind SGGS Jee and Panj Pyarey Sahibans , every street or stall sangat play their own audios of kirtan / dharmik songs which results we can not either listen sangat kirtan or audios.

second thing lot of kids / youngster play crackers in nagar kirtan even after the cleaning of road by sangat and if u try to convey them most likely u r going for argument/ fights with them.

bhulla chukka dee maufai

waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh