RADIO DISCUSSION - BBC ASIANNETWORK - NOW!

The Muslim representative kept saying "we should unite - we are all British Asians"

Jagtar Singh, "I am not Asian. I am British Sikh. I am born in Europe, hold a British passport and am a Sikh - so I am British Sikh"

Muslim rep: "No! We are all Asian... we should unite... racists will not see that you are Sikh, Hindu or Muslim - we are all the same, we are targets of racism"

Jagtar Singh highlighted that the Muslim rep was born in East Africa - so how does he become "British Asian"???

Other points highlighted in the show by presenters and listeners:

- "Asians" technically involves Russians, Arabs, Chinese etc... why are they not labelled by the government and media as "Asians" and no-one makes a hoo-haa... but when Sikhs ask to be called "Sikhs" and not "Asians" then people make a big deal

- Govt. Rep = there will be too many option boxes on the form if we add Sikhs on it - then Irish will want a box, Scottish, Welsh etc.

- British Govt. recognised Sikhs as a distinct ethnic group and race in 1983

- Sikhs are distinct and not the same as Hindus and Muslims as the pro-Asian label person was saying. We have turban and beard! So yes a person can tell that we are different from the rest of Asian communities.

- If we were recognised by media and government as a separate identity (away from Asians) then public would become more aware of Sikhs and government can properly monitor and provide needs specific to the Sikh community.

- "All Sikhs are are British Asians"... Jagtar Singh - "So I a White Sikh living in UK is "British Asian"?"

- Muslims want to use label Asians for themselves and others (like Hindus and Muslims) to share the load and shame caused by extremist Muslims across the world.

Jagtar Singh, "I am not Asian.  I am British Sikh.  I am born in Europe, hold a British passport and am a Sikh - so I am British Sikh"

Other points highlighted in the show by presenters and listeners:

- "Asians" technically involves Russians, Arabs, Chinese etc... why are they not labelled by the government and media as "Asians" and no-one makes a hoo-haa... but when Sikhs ask to be called "Sikhs" and not "Asians" then people make a big deal

- British Govt. recognised Sikhs as a distinct ethnic group and race in 1983

- Sikhs are distinct and not the same as Hindus and Muslims as the pro-Asian label person was saying.  We have turban and beard! So yes a person can tell that we are different from the rest of Asian communities.

- If we were recognised by media and government as a separate identity (away from Asians) then public would become more aware of Sikhs and government can properly monitor and provide needs specific to the Sikh community.

- "All Sikhs are are British Asians"... Jagtar Singh - "So I a White Sikh living in UK is "British Asian"?"

- Muslims want to use label Asians for themselves and others (like Hindus and Muslims) to share the load and shame caused by extremist Muslims across the world.

92170[/snapback]

sooooooooo true!

every time i have to fill out some form i never tick the asian box, i tick other and write Sikh, that's what many Sikhs done also during the census thing so many years ago

Jagtar Paaji is a truely wonderful Gursikh who always manages to put across his points!

Unfortunately, I was at work, so could not listen in... however, one thing I shall say is that - We are not Britsh Asians, as paaji said, we are British Sikhs - please all, push this as an Identity where you can.

When filling in forms, we are not "asian other" we are "other" - SIKH.

Sikhs are one of the most hardworking communities in Britain, Sikhs gave their lives for this country for the freedom of her people, we not only want but now NEED to be monitored as a seperate identity, so that as taxpaying Sikh citezens of the UK can have the same rights as all.

Jagtar Paaji is a truely wonderful Gursikh who always manages to put across his points!

Unfortunately, I was at work, so could not listen in... however, one thing I shall say is that - We are not Britsh Asians, as paaji said, we are British Sikhs - please all, push this as an Identity where you can.

When filling in forms, we are not "asian other" we are "other" - SIKH.

Sikhs are one of the most hardworking communities in Britain, Sikhs gave their lives for this country for the freedom of her people, we not only want but now NEED to be monitored as a seperate identity, so that as taxpaying Sikh citezens of the UK can have the same rights as all.

92180[/snapback]

Agree, my last job application I put Other - Sikh

We are a religion, nation and people.

Sikhs:

- distinct way of life

- distinct appearance

- distinct sovereign authority and own flag

- distinct national anthem

- distinct history

- distinct democracy of the Khalsa Panth under the umbrella of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

- distinct ruler - Sri GurU Granth Sahib Ji

- distinct high authority - Sri Akaal Takhat Sahib

<_<