Dastaar - Is it just for men?

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=1&i=34202&t=34202

Author: Kulbir Singh

Date:  04-19-05 14:34

We have debated the issue of Keski Vs Kakaar many times but one thing that I have noticed is that many gursikhs who don’t accept keski to be Kakaar, still acknowledge that keski is a must for both Bibyaan and Singhs. I think irrespective of whether one accepts Keski as Kakaar or not, the whole Panth should be Dastaar-dhaari i.e. should adopt Dastaar.

Sikh Panth believes in equality of males and females. The equality is twofold i.e. equality in rights and equality in duties. The equality in rights include the right of women to hold any office or do any sewa that men can do, provided they qualify. The equality of duties include following same rehit of Kakaars, nitnem, kurehits etc.

Let us talk more about equality in following or carrying out duties. A Singh must do prescribed nitnem everyday. The duty is the same for Kaurs. Singhs must stay away from 4 Bajjar Kurehits. Kaurs too should stay away from Bajjar Kurehits. Singhs must wear 5 Kakaars. Kaurs too should wear 5 Kakaars. Singhs must be ready to sacrifice their life for the upliftment or honour of Sikh Panth. Kaurs too must be prepared to do the same. Singhs must get up at amritvela. Kaurs too must do the same. Singhs must do Naam Abhyaas in the morning. Kaurs too must do the same. All other duties for men and women are same in Sikh Dharam. Why should there be a difference in the duty of wearing a Dastaar?

Some may argue that wearing Dastaar is not a duty but a pleasure and I don’t disagree with this. If wearing Dastaar is a pleasure (just like all other rehit), then too why should the Kaurs be deprived of this pleasure?

The bottomline is that both Singhs and Bibiyaan must wear a Dastaar. We should forget about the Kakaar issue here and work towards making Dastaar a mandatory rehit for all Sikhs (males and females). May Guru Sahib make whole Sikh Panth Dastaardhari.

Daas,

Kulbir Singh

Well Chola is a some kind of like a cloth which is until you knees. Chola can be wore in White , Blue , Black , Light Blue or Light Yellow colour. I don't know very much about what colours are acceptable, as most Singhs wear the colours I mentioned.

If you still don't know what a Chola is like, then look at what Sant Jarnail Singh Ji is wearing!

Hope it might help! :TH:

• 2 weeks later...

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

Gupt daasan daas Posted Apr 20 2005, 07:31 PM

dont judge from putside alone

more than half the dastaar bibis i kno are veryyyy bad

trust me u dont kno

but a lot of dastaar bibs refelct their insides

VEERY CHARDI KALA

theyere was one bibi in my vclass with dastaar and shes got a jeevan, i have mad respec t for her

but dont soley judge on outside

the same goes to singhs wearin chola, dummalai, etc., some are corrupted there too

inside shud refpect outside

u need both

we shudnt forget inside especially, especially inside

but we need BOTH

like washing ure hands, u need both

bhula chuka maf

i completely agree with u there bhaaji...sikhi is on the inside and the outside...that is what makes it unique..

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!