Martial Arts

Bhajneet

Please read rehitnameh of Guru Gobind Singh and then understand it in regards to unarmed combat.

96416[/snapback]

Please explain. I have seen Niddars web site and there are videos of him grapling etc without arms so I assume nihang can fight without arms.

Would be interesting to see how good niddar really was without his shastar against a proper amateur wrestler. I doubt he would last very long going by the grapling videos on his web site. I reckon even Kimbo Slice would take him.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru Jika Khalsa, Waheguru Jiki Fateh

In response to comment made on Bhai Niddar Singh. Saw his website...and I'm very proud to see a Gursikh who keeps his physical self in condition (besides the spiritual aspect).

Having said that, I do not think there is such thing as one guy out there who can beat anybody (and I didn't see Bhai Niddar Singh claiming to that). THe Sikh martial art if I'm not mistaken, is mostly with use of arms....the unarmed stances are more for battle scenarios when your weapon is broken etc. I don't think it matters if the Nihangs need to proof what they are capable of. When you're life is on the line everything changes...the tough will stay and fight and the cowardly will run away.

Enough jabbering from me. Even Bruce Lee admitted to his weakness on ground combat. Bottom line, never put yourself in a position of vulnerability...if you don't know any stances, even this v1.gifv2.gif is fair.

Gurfateh

Understanding Violence

Since June 1996, I have interviewed hundreds of survivors of violent attacks. They are a diverse lot: from Iggy, who tends to wind up in the wrong place at the wrong time, to Betty, a secretary who witnessed a fight between two huge young women on the sidewalk beneath her office window.

Interview notes were transferred to a graph-paper index and used to answer eight to 42 questions, depending on the complexity and intensity of the encounter.

As of January 2000, I had recorded 1,600 incidents and done a statistical breakdown of the first 1,000. The edged-weapon stats presented in this article are derived from 256 such encounters involving 512 parties and constituting 275 uses. (Note: Three men stabbing one man equals one act, two parties and three uses.) The following statistics were gleaned from the study:

40 percent of all acts of violence involve a weapon

27 percent of armed encounters involve a firearm.

44 percent of armed encounters involve one of a host of improvised - and mostly blunt - weapons. The most common is a beer bottle; the most injurious is a baseball bat, pipe or two-by-four; and the most deadly is an automobile. Most martial arts training is more useful against high-commitment blunt, weapons than against firearms and edged weapons.

11 percent of all violence and 29 percent of armed encounters involve a knife or knife-like weapon such as a razor or shank. Although these are the preferred weapons of the lone male felon, their practical application is the least understood of all. Knives are also among the most deadly of weapons.

For the purpose of this study, I have ranked edged weapons from most to least common:

knives (including fixed and folding blades)

razors

shanks (prison-made stabbing weapons)

swords (including oversized knives and edged tools)

The complete study encompasses 50 photos, 100 stories and 737 statistics. Compressing this information into an article would either distort the picture or put the reader to sleep. So instead of abridging the study here, I will answer the blade-fighting questions posed by eight Black Belt readers in hopes that they might address the concerns of thousands more.

Just in case you were wondering even though it is a little outdated, i would not go as far as to say it is obsolete now.
Im not stating that wrestling shouldnt be done, your martial arts should combine aspects of distance striking, close combat, wrestling, grappling, counters, locks and weapons, wrestling alone will not make you a complete fighter.

Totally dude, this is the list i have so far:

Distance Striking - Kick Boxing

Close Combat - Muay/Thai Boxing

Wrestling - Jiu-Jitsu

but i dont know about counters or locks and weapons (prolly cause i have no idea what your talking about :) )

And i think we should just stop calling it martial art and change it to martial arts

On a side note. Have any UK nangs or nihangs ever ridden a horse ? I bet closest most have got is donkeys at the seaside. One key thing for Nihang is to be able to fight whilst riding. I bet the UK nihang/nangs could not tell difference between a Marwari, Arabian or Thoroughbred let alone ride one.

Umm.. what kind of side note is that?! One, i was interested in self-defense or coming to the aid of someone else's defense which is how this whole topic started. And two, thats just mean... i mean that is just hitting on some other human, think about it man, same blood, treat your veer jee with a bit more respect. This goes for more than just kurtas, some of y'all beating down on Niddar. I don't personally know him so i can't judge him, but why don't we all just keep our judgements to ourselves?

and to All-Info i don't know if you got this or not but yh, i am living in the states.

About conditioning though, should i do anything before i go to a school? or will they tell me what i should have to do and just lay back until then?

thanks for all the info, its good! keep it coming guys!

To kurtas, how u say how would niddar be against a wrestler, but then ask your self how woudl a wrestler be against a swords man, samuria or some one hu does sirak silat, or kali.

banda woujld get slaughted. u need to wake up n smell the coffee m8

96480[/snapback]

Well Nihang are taught how to fight when they do not have access to weapons so I would like to see niddar show how good he is with these aspects of the art he is teaching.

Bhajneet,

You cant be a nihang if you dont know your horses. Nihang are well known for their ability to fight on horses. No other martial arts (as far as I know) teach how to fiht on horseback.

I am suprised Niddar has not bough a Welsh Cob so he can practice fighting on horseback.

Well Nihang are taught how to fight when they do not have access to weapons so I would like to see niddar show how good he is with these aspects of the art he is teaching.
Who teaches these Nihangs? Where have you seen self defence classes for Nihangs in india, cos id like to pop round to one of em.
You cant be a nihang if you dont know your horses. Nihang are well known for their ability to fight on horses. No other martial arts (as far as I know) teach how to fiht on horseback.

Depending on someones individual skill they are given certain roles among the army, the cavalry will fight on horseback, while foot soldiers will use arms which are more prefered by them and set out in formation, khanda man taking the lead with tulwar and dhal guys either side to defend him (since he has no sheild), either side of them will be other sets of fighters, behind will be long distance attackers with barshas, saangs and gandasas, behind them will be archers, who all move in formation and one unit to keep each other alive.

There is not only one aspect of battlefield fighting, fighting on foot is the most important and hardest to learn, many of the guys who train have gone to india and learnt horse riding, I myself am taking archery classes, again you are making up assumptions without having any knowledge of what goes on in the classes. If your from the UK your more then welcome to come to one of the 6 akharas and see for yourself.

Who teaches these Nihangs? Where have you seen self defence classes for Nihangs in india, cos id like to pop round to one of em.

Depending on someones individual skill they are given certain roles among the army, the cavalry will fight on horseback, while foot soldiers will use arms which are more prefered by them and set out in formation, khanda man taking the lead with tulwar and dhal guys either side to defend him (since he has no sheild), either side of them will be other sets of fighters, behind will be long distance attackers with barshas, saangs and gandasas, behind them will be archers, who all move in formation and one unit to keep each other alive.

There is not only one aspect of battlefield fighting, fighting on foot is the most important and hardest to learn, many of the guys who train have gone to india and learnt horse riding, I myself am taking archery classes, again you are making up assumptions without having any knowledge of what goes on in the classes. If your from the UK your more then welcome to come to one of the 6 akharas and see for yourself.

96530[/snapback]

I have seen Nihang training in India. We used to have these Nihang come by our pind with a loads of fine horses every year. They were top guys and they used to wrestle etc and do all that fancy stuff with swords. Dont know what happened to them they dont come by any more.

Why they gone to India to learn how to ride ? No riding schools in the UK ?

So all the UK nihang wannabe's are not good enough for cavalry ? Why dont the akharas rent a field, build some stables and buy a few horses. Then they could determine who was good enough for the cavalry. If they want desi horses I have contacts for Marwari horses in India and USA. Not sure if they allow you to import Indian horses into the UK but the US ones have been cleared for expert but you can expect to pay $20K for a Marwari from US.