BAD SECTORS

hi guys,

I've a lil problem wid my hard disk..i had developed some bad sectors..and they are growing....can ne one tell me the cure of this or atleast tell me how to stop it growing further....i guess they have one utility wid nortan anti-virus..which does not let the bad-sectors to grow and kinda detache (or mark it as bad) it from rest of the hard disk so that no data is stored or retrived from it....But not sure what is the name of this utility software and where to geti it from???

or can ne one suggest me ne alternative solution---> apart from buying a new one tongue.gif

Thanks

Arash

There is a technology in Hard disks called

SMART ( Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology )

Basically Hard disk drives monitor their own state and provide appropriate warning if things are going wrong.

Bad sector is such a case. I use a program called "Active Smart" to monitor the disk state, i.e. the Temprature.

I also had a bad sector problem previously, and the unfortunate thing is that they continue to increase. So the SMART thing informs that a hard disk faliur is imminant.

My advice to you is to back everything up ASAP. Then decide whether to continue using ur disk or get a new one.

I didnt know there were programs that fixed or sorta patched the bad sector problem?