Converting to Sikhi

I sometimes get contacted regarding conversion and thought it would be good if in 1 thread we could explain clearly what Sikhism and Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji states on converting to Sikhi and mention past instances.

:doh:

This thread goes out to Sofia who is considering conversion to Sikhism from Islam.

:doh:

I think the main objective is to become paka in your own religion. There was a case in Nottingham where a young muslim girl approached one of the Gurdwara's saying she wanted to convert. The Gurdwara, confused spoke to Sikh Community & Youth Service (SCYS) where a great sevadar actually spoke to this girl extensively and actually taught her more about her own religion over quite a period of time rather than trying to convert. I Think she actually stayed a muslim.

However, if someone wants to convert to Sikhism i think there is no problem with that but remember that all paths lead to the same place.

kudharath vaedh puraan kathaebaa kudharath sarab veechaar ||

By His Power the Vedas and the Puraanas exist, and the Holy Scriptures of the Jewish, Christian and Islamic religions. By His Power all deliberations exist.

by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Aasaa on Pannaa 464

saadhhasa(n)gam har araadhhae sagal kalamal dhukh jalae ||

Worshipping the Lord in the Saadh Sangat, all my sins and sufferings are burnt away.

mehaa dhharam sudhaan kiriaa sa(n)g thaerai sae chalae ||

This is the greatest religion, and the best act of charity; this alone shall go along with you.

by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Bihaagraa on Pannaa 547

Courtesy of www.sikhitothemax.com

By the way Taz, your websites doesnt seem to be working properly on my work PC here (did you check out that link i e-mailed you btw)

The other extract i was gonna put in was Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindranwale which goes something like this...

A Sikh should become a proper Sikh, A Hindu should become a proper hindu, a Muslim should become a proper muslim.

About converting... Sometimes people are born in a religion that doesnt resonate with their heart. Then later on they find a religion that does. (Like me...haha!) You end up reading something that totally rings in your heart, and you rejoice because you know... AHA! THIS is the truth ive been searching for... that i knew.. but here it is! And so you convert.

Its not a bad thing to convert to Sikhi. Though i do agree to try and be a good _______, that you were born into. If that doesnt work though... your heart isnt in it... but your heart finds itself in another faith... thats the way to go.

Besides... the first sikhs converted from somewhere to sikhi! Then all the other generations that came from that were born into sikhi.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa! Vaheguroo Jee Ki Fateh!

Personally, Sikhi is something which is practiced and applied, and cannot be converted to. In terms of conversion, the closest thing that comes to this in Sikhi is maybe to begin practicing a particular Rehit or to adopt parts of a Gurmat lifestyle. A basic example would be to begin keeping Amrit Vela Rehit.

The Sikh Rehat Maryada in Section 1, Chapter 1, Article I states that :

Any human being who faithfully believes in

i. One Immortal Being,

ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,

iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,

iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh

The following section in the Sikh Rehit Maryada Section 1, Chapter III, Article III about "A Sikh's Personal Life" states that :

Article III

A Sikh's personal life should comprehend:-

i. Meditation on Nam (Divine Substance, also translated as the God's Attributed Self) and the scriptures,

ii. Leading life according to the Gurus' teachings and

iii. Altruistic voluntary service.

A Gursikh is definied in the following Shabad by Guru Raam Daas Ji in Raag Gauree on Pannaa 305

mÚ 4 ]

ma 4 ||

Fourth Mehl:

gur siqgur kw jo isKu AKwey su Blky auiT hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhalakae out(h) har naam dhhiaavai ||

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

audmu kry Blky prBwqI iesnwnu kry AMimRq sir nwvY ]

oudham karae bhalakae parabhaathee eisanaan karae a(n)mrith sar naavai ||

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

aupdyis gurU hir hir jpu jwpY siB iklivK pwp doK lih jwvY ]

oupadhaes guroo har har jap jaapai sabh kilavikh paap dhokh lehi jaavai ||

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

iPir cVY idvsu gurbwxI gwvY bhidAw auTidAw hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

fir charrai dhivas gurabaanee gaavai behadhiaa out(h)adhiaa har naam dhhiaavai ||

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

jo swis igrwis iDAwey myrw hir hir so gurisKu gurU min BwvY ]

jo saas giraas dhhiaaeae maeraa har har so gurasikh guroo man bhaavai ||

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

ijs no dieAwlu hovY myrw suAwmI iqsu gurisK gurU aupdysu suxwvY ]

jis no dhaeiaal hovai maeraa suaamee this gurasikh guroo oupadhaes sunaavai ||

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

jnu nwnku DUiV mMgY iqsu gurisK kI jo Awip jpY Avrh nwmu jpwvY ]2]

jan naanak dhhoorr ma(n)gai this gurasikh kee jo aap japai avareh naam japaavai ||2||

Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

To search for other "definitions" or practices of Gursikhs, go to www.SikhiToTheMax.com and English search for "Sikh" or "Gursikh".

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa! Vaheguroo Jee Ki Fateh!

Its not a bad thing to convert to Sikhi. Though i do agree to try and be a good _______, that you were born into. If that doesnt work though... your heart isnt in it... but your heart finds itself in another faith... thats the way to go.

107130[/snapback]

Good point, i was a JW before converting to sikh, ir tried to be a good Jw, but i realized that sikhi was force me.

It is recomended that you try to learn more about your own religion before converting.

Follow what the heart knows as true.

Remember God.

Do good.

-------

Support is highly important to those who want to convert to anything. Community is important in keeping on track and help keeping high morality.

Acceptance and compassion for others will also bring the same to you.

-------

we so easily forget... there is only ONE