Hundreds Of Sikhs Protest Against 1984 Anti-sikh R

sikh supreme

Hundreds of Sikhs protest against 1984 anti-Sikh riots

New Delhi: Hundred of Sikhs, including victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, took to the streets here to demand action against those named in the Nanavati Commission report that was tabled in parliament Monday.

Remembering one of the worst riots in the post-independent India, they raised slogans and burnt effigies of Congress leaders named by former judge G.T. Nanavati in his report.

"We need action against those involved in the riots. Congress leaders like Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler, H.K.L. Bhagat and Dharam Das Shastri need to be punished by the government," said Atma Singh Lobana, pradhan (chief) of the Tilak Vihar resettlement colony for Sikhs in west Delhi.

"We saw Sajjan Kumar coming to our colonies in Nangloi and Sultanpuri to enrage the mob that killed our brothers mercilessly," Lobana, who lost five of his relatives in the 1984 riots, told IANS.

The violence erupted after then prime minister Indira Gandhi was assassinated by two of her Sikh bodyguards Oct 31, 1984. About 2,700 people were killed and 2,800 others were injured in the carnage that leaders of the Congress were accused of engineering.

Tytler, now a central minister, and Congress MP Sajjan Kumar are among those named in the Nanavati Commission's report for instigating mobs to avenge the killing of Gandhi.

But the government, in a report also tabled in parliament Monday, said it could not proceed against the leaders on the basis of "probability".

Gujjar Singh, who lost his father in the violence, said: "The mob entered our home in east Delhi and dragged my father out and cut him to pieces.

"You cannot understand how I have been living since then. We do not need compensation. Just give us justice."

Dalip Singh, 33, asked: "There is no job, no compensation and finally no justice. I have been living under psychological trauma for the past 21 years after I saw my father and elder brother succumbing to mob violence. They were left bleeding.

"They forced me to pull a rickshaw and take the help of drugs to forget those moments," said Dalip while burning an effigy of Tytler.

The widows of the victims are among the worst sufferers, as their trauma is yet to heal.

"They killed my husband in front of me. How can I sustain a family of seven?" said Harbai, 57, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"I have four daughters, who will help me to get them married? My children are unemployed and I am left to wash plates to keep my family going," she said.

http://www.newkerala.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=12162

And then the Indians govt cries when the victims for state terrorism turn to terrorism to avenge the wrongs done to them.

If Indian governemt wants credibility in the eyes of the world as a civilised democracy it has to act right now. Too much time for excuses as passed. Failure to do so will mean one thing and one thing only the destruction of the corrupt evil Indian union.

Wave of anger sweeps Sikh areas

Tuesday August 9 2005 00:00 IST

NEW DELHI: A wave of anger swept through several areas in west and south Delhi on Monday with survivors of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots demanding immediate action against Congress leaders whose names figure in the Nanavati Commission report.

Upset at what was being beamed on televison and the bytes these leaders were handing out, angry residents of Tilak Vihar - where over 1,500 riot-affected families live - set up a roadblock on Monday afternoon.

Shouting "Jagdish Tytler hai hai, Sajjan Kumar hai hai, H K L Bhagat hai hai", hundreds of angry residents - including many women whose husbands were killed in the carnage - took to the streets and staged a dharna in front of the Tilak Nagar police post. Tyres and dry branches were placed on the main road and set ablaze.

"Tytler, Sajjan Kumar and Bhagat were very much there when the hoodlums were baying for our blood after Indira Gandhi's assassination. How can they be let free after having murdered so many people for no reason. If we do not get justice, there will be another riot. We will fight for justice," fumed Surjit Singh.

The mob boarded two buses after this, heading to Tilak Nagar to stage another dharna.

The atmosphere was charged at East of Kailash as well where riot victims vented their anger on the government and judiciary as also Sikh leaders. The overriding sentiment among survivors was that they had been let down by virtually everyone.

Watching developments on television, Harpal Singh said: "Sab apni ullo seedhi karne pe lage hain (Everyone has their own fish to fry). It's their government, their leaders, even though we have a Sikh Prime Minister. And where are our own leaders? Not one Sikh leader visited this settlement of riot widows in the last 20 years although we hear they siphoned off our aid from foreign countries."