Are We Just As Bad As Them? :-(

ranj03

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Jee Ki Fateh

I know someone who is not into Sikhi, cuts her hair, drinks and eats meat and worse of all she criticises my Guru, she refers to it as a mere book. no.gif This makes me feel so frustrated :doh: as she is referring to the King of Kings as a mere book. But I have learnt that I am wasting my time and energy in talking about Sikhi with her as it will just end up being a debate and the result will be that I will feel upset. So I have learnt my lesson not to argue with her and keep my views to myself.

I know someone else who was into Sikhi when she was younger because she had the sangat of some family members who are amritdhari, after spending some time with them, she started doing her simran, wearing a keski etc but since hitting the teen years, she has started hanging out with her panjabi mates, wanting to be "cool" etc as typical teenagers.

In this kind of scenario, I guess you can try to encourage people to come to the gurdwara, tell them about Sikhi but as to the effect that this will have very much depends on the person. They may be willing to listen or on the other hand it may go into one ear and out of the other ear. There is no harm in trying though but it may reach a point that you will give up if it has no effect.

In relation to the person that who was amritdhari and leaves sikhi to embrace the clubbing life as SSM mentioned, this is very sad. no.gif

I agree it can be hard to change that person as whatever you say to her will not have any impact. It will go into one ear and out of the other ear. Its sad because that girl does not get ras, anand from the Naam, Bani, Simran but gets it from the clubbing scene. But this is all due to the karams of past lives.

The other scenario where someone who is mona, goes to clubs, drinks etc but is unhappy and is willing to learn about Sikhi, should be the type of person that is encouraged and conversations held with that person about Sikhi. I know someone who falls into that situation who says that he wants to give up alcohol, meat etc but cannot bring himself around to do it because of the peer pressure and the pressure to fit in with society..

However, when he sees me and my family, he is amazed as to how we can enjoy going to the gurdwara, listening to keertan etc. Just by taking small steps such as having conversations about Sikhi, asking that person to go the Gurdwara, listening to keertan etc, they may get Guru Jee's kirpa. The fact that they are feeling unhappy about doing all these things etc goes to show that they are missing something in their life.

Baba Nand Singh Jee used to say:

Joran Wala Koi Pun Nahi, Toran Wala Koi Paap Nahi

Basically, to bring someone into Sikhi is a very good deed and to take someone away from Sikhi is a very bad deed.

At the end of the day, we can only take small steps to help people on the path of Sikhi but the kirpa, the grace, the mehar, the nadar will be done by Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee. But some people may need help in taking them towards Guru Jee.

The biggest factor as mentioned in previous posts is the Sangat.. The sangat that we are blessed with is due to our past karams, If we get the Sangat of Gursikhs, we are very very very lucky..

vaddabhaagee har sa(n)gath paavehi ||

By great good fortune, the Lord's Congregation is found,

bhaageheen bhram chottaa khaavehi ||

while the unfortunate ones wander around in doubt, enduring painful beatings.

The youth cannot be blamed that they are not into Sikhi because they need good role models. The mother and father of a child is the child's first teacher.. Parents can make the child anything that they want by teaching them good values. If the young children do not get the Sikhi environment at home and do not realise the advantages of Sikhi, then that is not the fault of the youth but the parents to some extent. Children should be encouraged from a young age to go to the Gurdwara, keertan, paath, simran etc..

However, on the other hand, I have come across youth whose parents are not into Sikhi at all but they are Chardi Kala, Amritdhari, have Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee as their Guru.. Again, it all boils down to the kirpa of Guru Jee. Guru Jee is so samrath that they can change the lives of a person in an instant. :)

It is also important to improve upon your Sikhi so that people are inspired by you without the need for saying anything.. Actions speak much louder than words.

I agree that Sangat can be of people from other religions and not just Sikhs.. I have a friend who is a gori who converted to a muslim a few years ago who I work with.. She is a very spiritual person and we had discussions about religion, God etc, she hated going to work social events and did not drink etc.. Which was very good for me as there was one person at work who did not like that aspect of the english culture.

pray.gifpray.gifpray.gif

Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

i dont think the loyal group of sikh youth is fading away, i think it is GROWING GRADUALLY, thanks mainly to online sikh educational sites parchar of sikhi by some dedicated sikhs ie, sikh camps, talks and societies . but at the same time the majority of sikh youth are continuing to move away more than ever, the sharp divide between the faithful and faithless is increasingly apparent. we can try do as much in our own ways to help educate misguided youths on sikhi but we have to bear the brunt of KALJUG.

THINGS WILL ONLY GET WORSE BEFORE THEY GET BETTER

i must agree with alot that has already been posted such as the need for a sanget, but i believe that this problem of the youth has always exisited, drugs and alcohol are not new introductions into the lives of people espically in punjab. the gap however between the faithful and faithless is increasing and we need to provide a bridge for those who want to follow sikhi.