Which Pc To Buy?

I'm after a new PC cos my old is getting really knackered. Not much of techie guy, so was hoping that you guys and girls can help me out pray.gif

I'd want to use it for multimedia stuff (such as making DVD's from camcorder), general surfing and a bit of wordprocessing.

What should I be looking out for? Which specs or brands are good? And should I go for AMD or Intel.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMD is generally more reliable than Pentium Processors.

Wat kind of budget you looking for.. I'll do a search for you on the net to show you what kinda PCs you'll be dealin with :e:

multimedia.. hmm all new PCs usually have a DVD drive.. and Don't accept any machine which is les than 3GHz!! minimum drive size should be er... 100gb i suppose.

RAM should be 1 gb so you can run big programs.

Maybe that soudns too muchof a dream machine blush.gif LOL o well...

Wat kind of budget you looking for.. I'll do a search for you on the net to show you what kinda PCs you'll be dealin with :e:

multimedia.. hmm all new PCs usually have a DVD drive.. and Don't accept any machine which is les than 3GHz!! minimum drive size should be er... 100gb i suppose.

124633[/snapback]

Who says AMD are more reliable than Intel ? They are slightly cheaper but they both produce reliable processors.

As veer Ji has written go for at least 1gig ram.

Go for the biggest hard drive you can but as well. Messing about with video on the PC needs a bit of HD space. Last time I transferred raw avi to the pc from the camcorder it occupied about 11gig for slighlty less than 1 hour (I then ran it through TMPG to get it down to 4 odd gig in MPEG 2 format).

124633[/snapback]

Who says AMD are more reliable than Intel ? They are slightly cheaper but they both produce reliable processors.

As veer Ji has written go for at least 1gig ram.

Go for the biggest hard drive you can but as well. Messing about with video on the PC needs a bit of HD space. Last time I transferred raw avi to the pc from the camcorder it occupied about 11gig for slighlty less than 1 hour (I then ran it through TMPG to get it down to 4 odd gig in MPEG 2 format).

124659[/snapback]

11 wotchumajig?! :) @

yeah that sounds abt right...........10gb per hour.

Try to get a SATA hard drive (serial ATA) as it has a higher data transfer rate than standard IDE and of course make sure your motherboard is SATA compatible. HDD are quite cheap now, i managed to find a Maxtor 250gb SATA Hdd for £90. A good graphics card is essential for video editing/transcoding...perhaps the new Radeon PCI express range with firewire port (for connecting to you camcorder) and yeah.....STACK UP THE RAM!

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

Well Veer Ji it seems as though you want a computer which will be able to do video editing with ease. This may seem as though I'm just suggesting this because its one of those companies people have heard of, but I would suggest that you go with a Dell computer. Right now computer prices are on a major slump and Dell is recently jumping on that bandwaggon. I know a number of people that have bought from dell and say good things about them. Dell is really good for customer service and warranties. For your needs you want to look into a computer with atleast a 3.2GHZ processor (in my opinion you might wanna go for intel chipset), about 120GB hardrive(right now they are selling for dirt cheap), atleast 1GB of ram, a soundblaster soundcard(I have one right now and have never had any problems with it) and atleast a 128MB video card. However, the thing with Dell's video cards is that sometimes they kind of cheap out on them, so before finalizing anything I suggest to people that they make sure they get a good video card with it. Dell is also really good for their "Special" deals, they always have something running like a free RAM upgrade or a DVD burner upgrade. Last week they actually had a deal that gave anyone 25% off any computer. So you should ask them about any special deals they have running.

Hope that was of some help Veer Ji.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa..

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest [TheSim]

i think that computer may be too expensive for you... lol sata hd, if you didnt know what it even does or waht it is, i doubt you should go ahead and buy one, EIDE will be fine, and later you can advance as you come to learn more and more about computers. For waht you want to do a basic computer will do, including the function of burning dvd etc which is just a dvd writer and multimedia which comes to good video /sound