grief with the light of knowledge.

Over the centuries Diwali has come to signifies the victory of

light over darkness, good over evil, truth over falsehood, justice

over injustice, peace over war, and love over hatred. It reminds us

of removing the darkness of evil deeds from our hearts and to light

our hearts with good deeds. Gifts of love and sweets are freely

exchanged on this occasion breaking all barriers of cast, color and

creed. Young kids from all walks of life are especially fond of this

colorful festival. They eagerly await its arrival.

The Sikhs and Hindus have their legends attached to Diwali. According

to the much popular Hindu legend the day is celebrated to commemorate

the return of Lord Rama, his wife Sita and brother Lachhman after

spending 14 years of exile in the remote jungles. On their return to

their kingdom, the over jubilant people tastefully lighted their

homes to welcome them. It happened several thousand years ago. But

the tradition goes on.

The release of Guru Hargobind Ji, the sixth guru of the Sikhs, from

Gwalior Fort coincides with festival of Diwali. This coincidence has

resulted in similarity of celebration and harmony amongst Sikhs and

Hindus. Guru Hargobind was imprisoned by Jehangir the emperor of

India for preaching oneness of God, oneness of human race, love and

service to all. Guru Ji refused to be freed unless the 52 Hindu Rajas

(vassal kings) imprisoned with him were released. The emperor agreed

to release those Rajas who could walk out holding Guru's Chola (long

gown). Guru Ji prepared a special gown having 52 strings and got the

release of Rajas in 1619. When the Guru came to Amritsar the whole

city was tastefully lighted up to welcome him. It is due to getting

the release of 52 Hindu Rajas that Guru Hargobind Ji is revered as

Bandi Chhorh (Liberator of detainees) and the day is celebrated as

the "Bandi Chhorh Divas" (the day of release of detainees) signifying

selfless service and universal brotherhood.

The martyrdom of Bhai Mani Singh, the Head Granthi (Head Priest) of

Golden Temple Amritsar is also commemorated on Diwali day, which is

celebrated as Bandi Chhorh Diwas. Bhai Mani Singh was great scholar

who transcribed the final version of Guru Granth Sahib upon dictation

from Guru Gobind Singh Ji in 1704. The Mogul governor of Punjab

martyred him for staying steadfast in his faith in 1737.

The essence of celebrating the Festival of Lights lies in

enlightening ourselves by acquiring the virtues of being kind,

humble, meek, tolerant, selfless, sweet spoken. Guru Nanak Dev Ji

tells us in Sri Guru Granth which lamp is to be lit. He says, God's

Name (divine devotion) is my lamp to be lighted in the mind. I have

put the oil of suffering; ego, jealousy, anger, lust, and greed into

it. Its flame has dried up this oil, and I have escaped facing the

Messenger of Death and attained union with God.

Several times the happy occasion of Diwali the festival of Lights has

been darkened by grievous events. This year too it has been over

shadowed by tragic sufferings of the victims of earthquake in

Pakistan. The earthquake of Muzafarabad in Pakistan occupied Kashmir

has saddened the whole world. But it is so heartening that the whole

world has united wonderfully like one family to help the victims. The

brighter side of this grim tragedy and a blessing in disguise can be

seen here. The tragedy and the heart rendering groans of the victims

seem to have touched the hearts of Pakistan and India, who fought

several wars over Kashmir issue since 1947. Now both countries have

joined hands in helping the victims keeping aside the past

differences. India offered help. Pakistan accepted it. Indians and

Indian army is entering Pakistan to help the victims. It is so nice.

Leaders from both sides deserve heartiest praise from all for this

open heartedness. They seem to have removed the darkness of long

standing differences and enmity from their hearts with the light of

love, sympathy and cooperation. This historical gesture of mutual

help and goodwill is definitely a bright ray of hope for the bright

and peaceful future of the two countries. This gesture of love and

cooperation is clearly a God's blessing in disguise on the happy

occasion of Diwali.

May the Creator who is also known as God, Allah, Rabb, Rahim, Karim,

Khuda, Ishwar, Parmatma and Waheguru, bless the leaders with love and

cooperation in the larger interest of the people of Pakistan and

India and the whole mankind.

Gian Singh Kotli M.A., LL.B.

Certified Translator, Society of Translators and Interpreters of BC. Canada

Tel/Fax 604 3216351

Gian Singh Kotli

i was at school and came across singh i know pretty well.

anyhow it was at break and we were having our small ghap shaap of this that and the other, the singh asked eventually asked me, whats so special about tomorrow? i said "well its diwali of course"

he shook his head and said nope "its bandhi chor divas"

looking at him puzzled, i asked him "i could have sworn that was last week, isnt there another reason why we celebrate diwali?"

i cant remember what was said, but if i can remember well, this site said bandhi chor divas was last week and i can recal someone posting here a katha on why we celebrate diwali. they say bandhi chor isnt the real reason but as im on cheap dialup i cant really listen to the katha.

can anyone say why we celebrate diwali? as far as i know, we dont celebrate it just because of bandhi chor.

gustaphi maaf

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Not too sure but accordng to my knowledge:

we dont celebrate Diwali

we celebrate bandh chor divas- the release of the captives (found out cuple of days ago)

And its just a coincidence taht we celebrate it on the same day, coz it happened on the same day.

We only celebrate with hindus ie putting lights on n everything coz of this reason.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Bandi-Chhor Diwas (Diwali)

bandichhor.jpg

The Sikh celebration of the return of the sixth Nanak from detention in the Gwalior Fort coincides with Hindu festival of Diwali. This coincidence has resulted in similarity of celebration amongst Sikhs and Hindus.

When Murtaja Khan, Nawab of Lahore, noticed that Guru Ji had constructed Sri Akaal Takht Sahib, 'The Throne of the Almighty', at Amritsar, and was also strengthening his army, he informed about it to the Mughal Emperor Jahangeer. He also emphasized that he was making preparations to take revenge for his father's torture and martyrdom. When Jahangeer came to know about this he at once sent Wazir Khan and Guncha Beg to Amritsar in order to arrest Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji.

But Wazir Khan who was a well-wisher of the Sikh Guru’s requested the Guru to accompany them to Delhi as Emperor Jahangeer wanted to meet him. Guru Sahib accepted the invitation and reached Delhi.

On their first meeting when Jahangeer saw the Guru, he was completely won over by his youthful charm and holiness. The Emperor decided to become friends with the Guru. So he gave a royal welcome to the Guru. But Chandu Shah could not bear it. His daughter was still unmarried and thus the rotten sore was still bleeding (that Guru Arjan Dev Ji refused the offer to marry his daughter to Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji). At Agra, the Emperor fell seriously ill. The physicians tried their best but they failed to care him. Then Chandu Shah conspired with the astrologers, who were asked to tell the Emperor that his sickness was due to wrong track of stars and it could, be cared only if some holy man goes to Gwallior Fort to offer prayers to the deity. He also pointed out that Guru Hargobind Ji was such a holy man and he should be asked go to Gwallior Fort. At the Emperor’s request the Guru readily agreed and left for the Gawalior Fort.

In the fort Guru Ji met many princes who were detained there due to political reasons. They were leading a very deplorable life. With the help of Hari Dass, the governor of fort, the Guru improved their condition. Hari Daas was a Sikh of Guru Nanak and he become ardent devotee of Guru Hargobind. Once when Chandu wrote to Hari Daas to poison Guru Sahib, he at once placed that letter before Guru Ji.

When several months passed and Guru Ji was not released then Baba Buddha Ji and other devotees met the Guru. They informed him about the despicable condition of the Sikhs, who were waiting for him with great eagerness. The Guru assured them that they should not worry, he would join them soon. Sikhs would gather and carry out Parbaat-Pheris, walking and singing Gurbaani, around the Gawalior Fort awaiting for Guru Ji's arrival out.

In the meantime Sai Mian Meer met Jahangeer and asked him to release the Guru. Jahangeer, who had fully recovered, ordered Wazir Khan to release Guru Sahib, who reached Gwallior Fort and informed Hari Daas about the message of the Emperor. Hari Daas was very pleased to hear it. He informed Guru Ji about the message of Emperor. But the Guru declined to leave the fort unless the princes confined in the fort were also released.

When Wazir Khan informed the Emperor about the desire of the Guru, the Emperor was forced to agree, though he didn't want to free the prisoners. So, out of clevery the Emperor put down the condition that "whoever can hold on to the Guru's cloak can be released." The fifty–two princes who had been detained due to political reasons or for committing default, were pining in fort for years. Having compassion for others, Guru Sahib was determined to get the prisoners freed. He had a cloak made with 52 corners, for each King to hold on to. The Guru left the fort with all fifty-two princes. As the Guru liberated the fifty-two princes so he is known as Bandi-Chhor (Liberator).

bandichhodgurudwara.jpg

A Gurdwara known as Bandi-Chhor is built at the place where Guru stayed during his detention. Jahangeer advised Wazir Khan to bring Guru Hargobind in his court at Delhi with great honour. Jahangeer had realised that he wrong for torturing and killing Guru Arjan Dev Ji, who had not committed no crime or offense. He wanted to exonerate himself by indicting this crime on Chandu Shah and other officers. So in order to show his innocence he wanted to meet Guru Hargobind Ji. The Sikhs celebrate this day as Bandi Chhorr Divas i.e., "the day of release of detainees" . So in the evening, illuminations are done with Deewé (earthen oil lamps) or candles and fireworks. The celebrations are held both in the Gurdwaras and in homes.

What do we learn from Bandi-Chhor Diwas?

52 Hindu Kings were freed with Guru Sahib. Guru Sahib could have left the Fort when he was offered the chance. However, Guru Ji thought of others before himself. Others freedom and rights were more important than his own. Guru Ji is always thinking not of his emancipation but everyone's emancipation. This is the attitude and virtue which Guru Ji filled within his Sikhs, by putting into reality this positive message.

Cynthia Keppley Mahmood in her book "Fighting for Faith & Nation" interviewed some Jhajhaaroo Singhs (Sikh freedom-fighters) who were fighting for the independence and freedom of Sikhs in India. She asked the Singh, "if you obtain your goal and the Sikhs achieve independence and freedom, then what would you do?" This is where the colour which Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji filled within the Sikhs come to light. He replied, "After Khalistan, we will go and free Bosnia and then once we have freed Bosnia we will go to the next place where tyranny is oppressing the people." Cynthia Mahmood was overwhelmed by the sincerety and great ATTITUDE of the Singh. This is the blessings of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji.

Bhai Nand Lal [singh] Ji describes Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji with one word in his poetry. The one word he used to summarise the Jeevan (life) of Guru Hargobind Sahib ji is "JUSTICE."

Dhan Dhan Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji!! d_oh.gif

YES