Jaswant Singh Khalra

I have heard that the people who have been accused of killing Shaheed Jaswant Singh Khalra have been sent to jail... I dont have the complete details but all I know is they have been sentenced to jail.. Adn the case is gonna go into higher courts where the guilty could get the death penelty pray.gif

Even if the higher courts award death penalty, they will most likely be given a pardon by GOI. Just this year (2005) two Punjab Police officers who were convicted of extra judicial murder of two Sikhs and given lengthy sentences were quietly given pardon by the GOI appointed Governor of Punjab. (Committing a mockery of justice)

These murderers of Khalra have already been given President’s Medals. So the likelihood of their being pardoned is great. (Reference to their being given medals by the President of India can be found in the news item that appeared in The Tribune and pasted below)

---------------

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20051119/main1.htm

>>>> Incidentally, DSP Jaspal Singh and SHO Satnam Singh were awarded the President's Police Medal for fighting militancy in the state <<<<

6 convicted for killing rights activist Khalra

Chander Parkash and Rubinder Gill

Tribune News Service

Patiala, November 18

dsp Jaspal Singh and ASI Amarjit Singh were sentenced to life imprisonment and four others awarded seven-year rigorous imprisonment and a fine of Rs 5,000 each in the Jaswant Singh Khalra disappearance case by the District and Additional Sessions Judge Bhupinder Singh here today.

The accused had been booked by the CBI under Sections 302, 201, 364, 120-B and 34 for murder, destroying of evidence, kidnapping with intent to murder and conspiracy.

Jaspal Singh and Amarjit Singh were found guilty for murder and destroying of evidence while SHO Satnam Singh, SHO Surinderpal Singh, SHO Jasbir Singh and Head Constable Prithipal Singh were found guilty of kidnapping with an intent to murder and hatching a conspiracy.

They were awarded seven years imprisonment for kidnapping and five years for hatching a conspiracy. Both sentences will run simultaneously. All convicted are serving police officers except Surinderpal Singh, who has retired from the police.

Incidentally, DSP Jaspal Singh and SHO Satnam Singh were awarded the President's Police Medal for fighting militancy in the state. Jaspal Singh is also embroiled in another murder case of Harbhajan Singh Dhatt, nephew of Bhagat Singh, and is currently out on bail.

The clinching evidence in the case was provided by SPO Kuldip Singh, who was the gunman of SHO Satnam Singh at the time of Khalra's disappearance. He had once retracted his statement but later said it had been done under police pressure.

Paramjit Kaur Khalra, wife of Jaswant Singh Khalra, said she would have preferred capital punishment to the guilty. Lawyers of both parties said they would appeal in the high court against the verdict.

The CBI had initially presented the challan in the court against nine police personnel on October 30, 1996. Besides the six sentenced by the court, the challan included Tarn Taran SSP Ajit Singh Sandhu, DSP Ashok Kumar and Head Constable Rashpal Singh. Ajit Singh Sandhu had committed suicide by jumping in front of a running train in May, 1998 while Ashok Kumar died due to illness. Rashpal Singh was later discharged from the case.

Satnam Singh was then SHO, Jhabal police station, Surinderpal Singh was serving as SHO, Sarhali, and Jasbir Singh was the SHO, Manochahal police station.

Jaswant Singh Khalra, who was the general secretary of the Human Rights Organisation, had gone missing on September 6, 1995, from his residence at 8, Kabir Park, Amritsar, during Beant Singh's tenure. His wife moved the Supreme

--------------------------

What a mockery of justice !!!!!!

One of the officers who was quietly given pardon by the Governor of Punjab, a few weeks ago is the same DSP who murdered Sardar Jaswant Singh Khalra.

---------------

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20051120/punjab1.htm#1

In another case, Governor had pardoned DSP

who killed Khalra

Maneesh Chhibber

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, November 19

It took the courts over 10 years to convict the six accused police personnel guilty of kidnapping and liquidating human rights activist Jaswant Singh Khalra in 1995.

The human rights activist, who was secretary-general of the human rights wing of the Shiromani Akali Dal, was picked up on September 6, 1995 and his body was not found.

The case, which went on for years at a court in Patiala, finally saw Punjab police Deputy Superintendent of Police Jaspal Singh, and a serving inspector being handed out life imprisonment in the case. Four other cops were awarded seven years' rigorous imprisonment.

But, the smiling pictures of DSP Jaspal Singh, which adorned the front pages of most newspapers, did not show an officer fearing for his future. If he appeared confident, he had a reason to be so.

Just a few weeks back, the Punjab Governor, Gen S.F. Rodrigues (retd), acting on a Punjab Government communiqué, had granted pardon to the same officer in another case in which he had been sentenced to seven years' imprisonment. Another DSP, who is now retired, was also pardoned in that case.

The officers had been found guilty by a Patiala court of kidnapping and causing the death of Amrik Singh. A PIL challenging the pardon is pending in the Punjab and Haryana High Court.

Ironically, less than a year before the officer and his colleagues kidnapped and eliminated Jaswant Singh Khalra, he had been awarded the President's Police Medal for Meritorious Service.

DSP Jaspal Singh is also an accused in another high-profile case. It relates to the torture and murder of Kuljeet Singh Dhatt, a sarpanch. Dhatt was the son-in-law of Ms Parkash Kaur, the sister of freedom fighter Shaheed Bhagat Singh.

Dhatt's case was one of the first cases during terrorism in Punjab in which the Supreme Court had ordered an inquiry by a retired Sessions Judge.

Noted human rights activist and Punjab and Haryana High Court lawyer Rajvinder Singh Bains, who is also counsel of Khalra's wife, says the previous pardon granted to Jaspal Singh was highly unusual.

"We are not sure if he won't be let off again. Even earlier, the government must have known about his involvement in other cases. So, who decided to pardon him?" he wonders.

I have heard that the people who have been accused of killing Shaheed Jaswant Singh Khalra have been sent to jail... I dont have the complete details but all I know is they have been sentenced to jail.. Adn the case is gonna go into higher courts where the guilty could get the death penelty  pray.gif

134585[/snapback]

Please read this thread for all the main news regarding the "sentencing" of these accused dogs of the torture and killing of Bhai Jaswant Singh Ji Khalra - The Martyr for Human Rights!!!

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=15218

post-3838-1132529786_thumb.jpg

d_oh.gif Vaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsa, Vaheguroo Jee Kee Phateh!!! d_oh.gif