Girl Sent Home For Wearing Cross

Ranz_Killa

The issue to bring up is that the Kirpan/Kara are all part of our religion. Mandatory.

And the 5 K's have never changed with time. If a student was wearing a gold kara, or a gold kirpan, he could easily be asked to remove it, and must follow orders, because then it is being placed as jewelry first.

We wear the same Kara/Kirpan that was issued out by Guru Gobind and that his Khalsay wore.

A golden Crucifix is not the same as Jesus' . If they want to argue that, than carry a real wooden cross on your back to school all day.

If there is a law banning jewelry, than people wearing golden stuff are applicable to that ban. If they scream that the kara/kirpan is jewlery, simply tell them that they are allowed to wear the same cross that Jesus walked with, just like we wear the same attire that Guru Gobind walked with.

We never changed it into a fashion statement.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats not fair

everyone has a right to express their religion in their own way

if she loves Jesus and wants to wear a cross because of this then no one can stop her. Sikhs have died in the past for other faiths' freedom.

To say it isn's demanded by the church is ridiculous...she has a right to express her faith how she likes.

<<A golden Crucifix is not the same as Jesus' . If they want to argue that, than carry a real wooden cross on your back to school all day.>>

Then why dont you carry a 4 foot long kirpan, bow and arrow and have a hunting hawk while you're at it. You think Guru Sahib went to war with a 6 inch knife?

Dear Guru Piyaari'o I would like to apologise for the short-coming in the letter I wrote. I got it checked by several people but for some reason they also over-looked the mistake in stating the Kirpan size.

I have emailed Daily Express and all the bodies, groups and MPs which I forwarded the email to saying the following:

In the letter I have sent you, I have made a minor error. Paragraph 8 should state:

"The picture of a Kirpân on the front page news article seems to be of a 2 or 3 feet long ceremonial Sikh sword, which gives the wrong impression and is suggested by the newspaper to be a Kirpân, which a Sikh wears on his or her body."

By mistake I wrote "2 or 3inches".

Thanks

Awaiting a reply from you.

Manvir Singh Khalsa

(British Organisation of Sikh Students Rep & London Co-ordinator)

bhul chuk maaf

Ps. thanks for sangat pointing out the error :lol:

<<A golden Crucifix is not the same as Jesus' . If they want to argue that, than carry a real wooden cross on your back to school all day.>>

Then why dont you carry a 4 foot long kirpan, bow and arrow and have a hunting hawk while you're at it. You think Guru Sahib went to war with a 6 inch knife?

138693[/snapback]

The Bow and arrow was never one of the 5 K's. Guru Gobind went to War with multiple swords, not just a 4 foot long one.

And besides, my point was in the material. We do not walk around with Golden Kirpans, they would be taken as jewelry first.

Meaning, why doesnt she wear a wooden cross around her neck ? Oh wait..its not fashionable.

Golden Kara != Kara

Golden Kirpan != Kirpan

yet, Golden Cross = Cross ?

If you do agree with this, than what would you say to a Sikh student who walks into a school in Amritsar with a Kirpan made out of diamonds and *Blinging*...and the teacher asked him to remove it. Would you fight for his case too ?

Most of you guys dont even think golden khanda chains are appropriate...wait till we start seeing golden kirpans.. :lol:

I thought I would ellaborate a little on what I originally said, without trying to take this thread off into to much of a tangent since clearly, the focus should be on affirmative action instead of just theorizing what should or should not be done.

Firstly, for those few who made the claim that because the cross reminds her of God, then it's good. Any symbol can hold such relevance. One can start wearing a gold AK47 chain and say it reminds them of Death, and therefore keeps them walking with there mind straight, or someone else rock a Deathrow chain and use that as a means of religious inspiration.

Goth's are known for rocking cross necklances and chains. If a school with a no jewllary code, then points a finger at them and says "hey no jewlary" do they then claim it has religious significance also (considering many in this culture are fans of an anti-christ).

Point being, you can justify a lot of things as being of religious in nature, but this is all subjective and in the end significance is a matter of perception. (The fact that the necklace is gold and that the girl isn't an active church go-er, I would personally question the significance she claims it has). Also comparing religious symbols to our kakaars is not doing our Kakaars justice, and we truley need to within our own communities and even more broad shake this monkey of our back, that the Kakaars are nothing more then symbols.

Sikhs around the world have been fighting for the right to wear kakaars, by time and again stressing on there importantance, significance and that a kakaar is an ANG.

By putting up a fight for her necklace, I feel we stand to send mixed signals to the media, and general public on what the Kakaars true significance really is. For that reason I commend and applaud many of the above letters that I have read, as they clearly stress on this significance.

In the end, as a community, a young community, jumping into the ring for ever little thing is pointless. We really need to choose our battles carefully.

<<Meaning, why doesnt she wear a wooden cross around her neck ? Oh wait..its not fashionable.>>

how on earth can you qualify this statement

she said she 'feels naked without it' that she's worn it for years.

Thats exactly how I feel if I take off my kara e.g.

138716[/snapback]

Same way people 'feel naked' without hats...should we fight for the right for everyone to wear a hat whenever they want ?

This is getting ridiculous.

crayzy, your obviously missing my point and just finding 1 little sentence that you dont agree with or that is causing an emotional uproar inside of you and only responding to that.

Choose your battles.

If it has GOLD on it, it was BOUGHT as jewelry first, and significance SECOND.

If a student came up to me asking me to fight for his right to wear a golden kara, as i t meant so much to him, and his dad bought it for him on his birthday, and he grew up with it, and he felt naked for it....I would hand him a normal kara, and say, wear this...and I will fight for your right to wear it. If he says no, that the other golden kara had more significance because his dad bought it for him...than I would not do anything for him.

Anything golden is jewerly first. Just because it depicts a cross, does not make it so. These people were just looking for a fight, and a way to show how Sikhs are treated "better".

Choose your battles, seriously.