How To Remove Windows Media Encoder 9

nanosecond

i wanted to convert a vcd into wmv format. i updated windows media encoder from version 7 to 9. but i by mistake downloaded the portugese version and installed it. now when i run the setup file of english version.....it says some other version is already installed and u must remove it 1st. i cannot find an entry for it in add remove prgrams.....

can anybody help.......i am stuck with portugese version....which i dont understand and i am unable to install english.....plz help

Actually, kurtas, I think nanosecond is talking about Windows Media Encoder, and not Windows Media Player.

It's odd that it's not showing up under Add/Remove Programs. Try going to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder and running the uninstall file.

If that doesn't work, try running the install for the Portuguese version and it should offer to uninstall/repair it.

t's odd that it's not showing up under Add/Remove Programs. Try going to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder and running the uninstall file.

there's no uninstall file in the folder.....i have already checked that

bad point is that i have turned off system restore

kurtas do u know of similar command to uninstall windows media encoder

t's odd that it's not showing up under Add/Remove Programs. Try going to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder and running the uninstall file.

there's no uninstall file in the folder.....i have already checked that

bad point is that i have turned off system restore

kurtas do u know of similar command to uninstall windows media encoder

140124[/snapback]

Sorry no idea.

You sure it is not installed as a component in XP. Go to control panel and click add remove programs. On the left hand side will be an option to add/remove windows components. Click on that and see if the encoder is one of the options.

There should be an "add/remove program" entry for it Under "windows media encoder 9 series".

If not you should re-run the installer (portoguese version) and first option should be to uninstall or re-pair (if you do not understand teh options, look at the icons and choose the "recycle Bin" icon.

If this does not work you can attempt to uninstall WMP from your system, then reinstalling 9.2 or later (10?) and then putting the english version on.

If this does not work a manual unistall of the encoder will have to be done.

Fateh

I will look into creating a manual uninstaller for you. Unfortunetly it won't be that easy because Micro$oft, when istalling the encoder will install system file protected components, and only system restore, which is part of Windows XP, can be used to completely remove all installed system components.

As you have that turned off, I will look around for the files that are installed.

In the mean time, Make sure you have tried logging in as Administrator and reinstalling the portuguese version (to remove it).

You may have to do the following:

restart system

tap F8 during windows boot up

Turn on as "safe mode"

when the windows login screen comes you (hopefully) should see your regular account as well as an "administrator" account (with that name).

Login as admin and try looking in the add/remove programs, or try reinstalling the portugese version.

Fateh and Good luck