Working While Listening To Gurbani

WGJKKWGJKF

If it is, them I'm stuffed.

To my buddhi, the more Gurbani the better -

oot(h)ath bait(h)ath sovath jaagath har dhhiaaeeai sagal avaradhaa jeeo ||1||

While standing and sitting, while sleeping and while awake, meditate on the Lord, all your life. ||1||

Ok, you might not be able to concentrate on Gurbani for all that 1 hour long shabad, but you will to some parts. Also Gurbani is paras so being exposed to it will transform you.

Secondly, what is the alternative? you listen to other people's ramblings, listen to some bhangra (or R&B, per your taste) or just nothing. Listening to Gurbani is the best option!

Thirdly, (see how strongly I feel about this!) what about when you are walking around saying Waheguru, Waheguru. Surely, your mind wasn't absorbed entirely on Waheguru as you said it - the main thing is Waheguru's naam is on your lips - I can't remember the shabad ummm...rasanaa tooheee toohee...

I used to get bit annoyed at people playing paath or kirtan on a tape in an empty room. But, I suppose somebody could hear it at any time and their life could change? That reminds of the saakhi about when Sri Guru Amar Das Ji first heard Gurbani from bibi ji and enquired about what she was reciting....

Sorry, this ain't written to well - I 'm in a rush!

naamaa maaeiaa mohiaa kehai thilochun meeth

Trilochan says, O Naam Dayv, Maya has enticed you, my friend.

kaahae sheepuhu shaaeilai raam n laavuhu cheeth

Why are you printing designs on these sheets, and not focusing your consciousness on the Lord? ||212||

naamaa kehai thilochunaa mukh thae raam sunmuaal

Naam Dayv answers, O Trilochan, chant the Lord's Name with your mouth.

haath paao kar kaam subh cheeth nirunjun naal

With your hands and feet, do all your work, but let your consciousness remain with the Immaculate Lord. ||213||

Fateh WGJKKWGJKF Veer Ji,

No, it is not disrespectful to work while listening to Gurbani/Kirtan. But, in some circumstances we cannot, so we should remember God internally by doing Naam Simran. You should constantly remember Waheguru Ji 24/7. Our thoughts, our actions should be virtuous. We should represent everyday of our lives, regardless of what we are doing, in the action’s of God. Every step we take, every decision we make, will be an act of God.

AwT phr pRBu iDAwie qUM gux goieMd inq gwau ]1] rhwau ]

Twenty-four hours a day, meditate on God. Constantly sing the Glories of the Lord of the Universe. ||1||Pause||

If one sits for 2 or 3 hours throughout the day doing Nitnem, then what would they do for the remainder? We go into a world where there is constant deceiving, lying, and backstabbing; an egotistic world, where the only intention of a shopkeeper is to sell his business regardless if you will benefit from it or not, where a politician is only trying to win your vote by making empty promises. But, the shopkeeper/politician needs to make a living too, so he may not perceive it as doing wrong. If you have a constant reminder of Gurbani, and are listening to Kirtan, then regardless of what you are doing, be it work, or at home, before speaking falsely, you will remember God, and speak the Truth, because Waheguru Ji is the Truth. If you carry on in your life and work remembering that every time I speak a ‘lie’ or deceive someone, then this action of mine will move me away from God. If we hurt someone, or do nindha of someone, then know that you have furthered the distance to God. Even if you are indulged in your work, and internally you are doing Simran, if you get a customer, then your concentration will be lost. But with Kirtan, there will be a constant reminder of God, and you remember to be humble with your customer and speak with honesty. Not only did you remain faithful to your customer and developed a lasting clientele, but you also spoke the Truth. God always helps those who speak the Truth.

sMig shweI hir nwmu iDAweI ibrQw koie n jwey ]

The Name of the Lord shall be with you as your Helper and Support. Meditate on Him-no one who does so shall ever return empty-handed.

Remember we are merely a bodily shell for our soul, our body is not permanent, but the virtues are everlasting and will remain forever. Our virtues never die. There are no obstacles that will come in the way of virtues. A virtuous person has no enemies. If you help others, then they will return the favor and help you.

pRB kY ismrin dusmnu trY ]

Remembering God, one's enemies are repelled.

pRB ismrq kCu ibGnu n lwgY ]

Remembering God, no obstacles are met.

We will constantly remember that we are disciples of the Shabad Guru. We sometimes forget how powerful our words or language can be. They can either be full of love or full of 'hate'. But if we see God in everyone, then should we really be using such foul language? No! We can eliminate our negative language and thought process by constantly having a reminder of Kirtan in the background and doing Naam Simran. Shabad Guru is our ‘living Guru’, our teacher. He guides us, protects us, and enlightens us.

We don’t need to deeply understand Gurbani for it to affect our consciousness, because it is understood with the depth of our heart, not our head. You can meet a very knowledgeable person in Sikhi, but that is all they are. We may get a false impression that this person is a true Gursikh because of the words they write or speak, but in reality, they don’t practice what they write/preach. It’s all a façade. We run into all sorts of people and we try to obtain something from them, but, in the end we are disappointed, because it was merely the brain we were talking to, not the heart. God is very compassionate, we remember Him because of all the extroardinary Service He has provided us. We should speak of God's Words and act upon those words.

If we meditate on Waheguru Ji, we become more balanced and content with life. By listening to Kirtan and doing simran, we can think more intuitively and not be overcome by ego.

jo iesu mwry soeI suigAwnI ]

One who kills this is spiritually wise.

jo iesu mwry su shj iDAwnI ]5]

One who kills this meditates intuitively. ||5||

We, humans, are fragile to the ever-changing society. We are confronted by many people and many situations, but when we think intuitively, we will never step into an unwanted situation. This is a part of all walks of life, be it with your family, friends, coworkers, and customers.

Remember seva is one of the greatest things you can do, and to do it without ego, you will be rewarded with God’s Love. You can be the prime minister, or a clerk at a department store, and if your intentions are pure, then you can only do pure. By remembering the service you are providing for everyone, with nothing expected in return, with just love, we break ourselves from ego.

jnI gurmuiK nwmu iDAwieAw ivchu Awpu gvwie ]

The Gurmukhs meditate on the Naam; they eradicate selfishness and conceit from within.

If we remember that seva is a selfless act, then we shouldn't expect to be recognized for it or appreciated for it. Be it seva at your employment, with family and friends, or in volunteer work, the more you do, the closer to god you will get.

SO REMEMBER.....

nwmu iDAwey so suKI iqsu muKu aUjlu hoie ]

One who meditates on the Naam is at peace; his face is radiant and bright.

Bhul Chuk Maaf, if I misinterpreted the Gurbani, as I am still learning.