I Think Im A Failure..

Guest -low self esteeem-

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

dear sister

i too have gone through this problem at different stages of my life, so i can relate. i especially felt this way when i was a teenager.

now that i'm a young adult, i know that those feelings of inadequacy developed inside of me because i looked to others for approval in everything that i was. other posters on this thread have given us the sikh response to developing our esteem from the opinions of others. i would also add that it is ok to also try reflection on what has formed your beliefs about yourself. try to explore what makes you believe you are not pretty. what makes you believe you are not smart. what makes you believe you have no talent. in waheguru's eyes, of course, you are pretty, smart and full of the glorious talents of waheguru. but it is hard, as we live our lives, to always see this for ourselves. i personally used to compare myself to the kids at school or to the beautiful women in magazines. but after some time i could see that these people were "made up" and not truly beautiful or wise or full of something extraordinary. it wasn't an easy conclusion to come to because it took time and experience and reflection. you will come to this conclusion someday too. just wait.

in the meanwhile, share your thoughts with your parents or your close friends. they will know you best and can help you best to see yourself in a true light. also, never give up on yourself! there are plenty of natural things you can do to improve how you appear: go to bed early and get appropriate sleep, drink lots of water, eats lots of fresh vegetables and fruits, exercise, use appropriate skin moisturizers. in terms of school, talk to your teachers, find a tutor, get help in subjects that challenge you. in terms of talent, explore your interests(music? writing? speaking? working with kids?... explore!) and then develop them. practice makes perfect. talent is not something that drops from the sky but is something that is developed through habit. somewhere inside you is a strong and confident person; let her grow.