Books In Library's

rinku_sikh

A question for the sangat...

Should any books containing gurbani translated into english or other languages be made available to the public in UK library's? Or should they be kept in our gurdwaras? If the latter then how do we spread the teachings of Sikhism to non-Sikhs or our third/forth generation of sikhs whose 1st language is English?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Kee Fateh

I had the same question...well at the University of Alberta they have all these books that are translations of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and should they not be given more respect because it still is Dhur Kee Bani...rite? Its just in a different language...because in the libraries the people do not know how to respect them, they just shelf them uncovered and everything...the shelves aren't even clean. And the first time I went there they were all dusty because no one took care of them.

And ya like rinky_sikh ji said there could be a concern for the spread of the teachings of Sikhism to non-Sikhs or our future generations of sikhs...then maybe we could probably try get permission to do the seva of covering the books and cleaning the surroundings so at least there is no dust, but when i asked the librarian she said it would be a problem with the call number...so i really didn't know what to say to her...can someone please help solve this? tongue.gif :

Bhul Chuk Maaf

I had the same question...well at the University of Alberta they have all these books that are translations of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and should they not be given more respect because it still is Dhur Kee Bani...rite? Its just in a different language...because in the libraries the people do not know how to respect them, they just shelf them uncovered and everything...the shelves aren't even clean. And the first time I went there they were all dusty because no one took care of them. 

And ya like rinky_sikh ji said there could be a concern for the spread of the teachings of Sikhism to non-Sikhs or our future generations of sikhs...then maybe we could probably try get permission to do the seva of covering the books and cleaning the surroundings so at least there is no dust, but when i asked the librarian she said it would be a problem with the call number...so i really didn't know what to say to her...can someone please help solve this? tongue.gif :

Bhul Chuk Maaf

160105[/snapback]

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Yeah, I've been to the U of A Rutherford library, where they have a ton of sikhi books, especially english translations (many of them are really old) of SGGSjee. I actually enjoy it there, there is so much to read and learn from. Not only is it a sacred book to us, but its an invaluable spiritual resource for all.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Bhul Chuk Maaf

160105[/snapback]

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Yeah, I've been to the U of A Rutherford library, where they have a ton of sikhi books, especially english translations (many of them are really old) of SGGSjee. I actually enjoy it there, there is so much to read and learn from. Not only is it a sacred book to us, but its an invaluable spiritual resource for all.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

160138[/snapback]

WaheGuru Ji Ka Khsala!

WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh!

Please accept this as a humble opinion and nothing more.

If the bound trancription contains Gurmukhi 'Shabads' from Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj - Then suitable handlining and respectful placement should be followed - i.e washing hands covering head etc.

Some people will argue - if they are printed by a printing press - their print process may not be sucha - please remember 'Shabad Guru' it is the pinnacle of Sikhdom - no being or artefact is higher.

Other points - we must not abbreviate Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj beacause respectfully the full tilte needs to be applied - even in posts, I suppose is done to save time and keystrokes, but respect/satkar is above all that.

Also Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj is not a 'book' it is like saying our Guru Sahibhaans where people equating them to people of no moral or spiritual value. iT is the Joyt of the 10 Guru Sahibaans.

Lastly - Sikhism doesn't and shouldn't suffer from 'Brahminism' i.e. moving away from negativity e.g. no mixing in with so called 'low castes'. Sikhism is supposed to go 'wholeheartedly' into negativity to bring it in to positivity or 'ChardiKala!' So if a translated Sikh Scripture is placed on a dusty shelf and even 1 person learns a principle of value - then that is remarkable.

Sikhi is Humble - it is also the path to enlightenment! Nothing de-flowers Sikhi it's roots lie with the Divine Essence - therefore it cannot be tarnished.

Again - Apologies if I have offended. And may Guru Ji forgive me for all my shortcomings as I am a sinner ATTEMPTING to tread the path of TRUTH.

WaheGuru Ji Ka Khsala!

WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh!