Rehyt Maryada

fateh to every one!

i am a young sikh from the usa who would like to adopt sikhi, howveer there is a problem which i face. there are many many rehyt maryada out there in the world so my question is which one do i follow?

i am very confused...

if anyone could help me please do, it will be erally apprecitated.

harsharon

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fateh to every one!

i am a young sikh from the usa who would like to adopt sikhi, howveer there is a problem which i face. there are many many rehyt maryada out there in the world so my question is which one do i follow?

i am very confused...

if anyone could help me please do, it will be erally apprecitated.

harsharon

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Well, the BARE minimum is the sgpc rehat mariada. This is the basic mariada that is the lowest minimum of what you MUST follow (http://www.sgpc.net). Above and beyond that, its really up to you. Depite what some will tell you, there is no way of saying exactly which is the right maryada, and which is wrong. But what I would do is take a look at the others, and try to imagine by reading your history which rules the Gurus themselves followed, and which you think would apply today. For example, some maryada say that eating meat is OK. But if you think about it, killing an animal for our taste buds may not be required if we have other food around. So based on that, I would never eat meat unless absolutely necessary (ie: I'm starving on an island somewhere).

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Great response by Khalsa4ever veer jee.

Although there are many maryadas, you need to remember that yo NEED to follow the one by Akal Thakhat (published by SGPC). That is the minimum. If you want to wear dhumalley and cholley 24/7, that's your choice, but that is not a minimum requirement.

You've got the minimum of three banis in the morning. If you want to add another 8 banis in the morning thats very good. Just keep increasing yourself, but remember ther's a minimum, and if you don't have time to do an extra 8 banis, that is okay :lol:

waheguru ji ka kahalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Good to hear that you have an interest in developing your sikhi.

The responses above are absolutely right in saying that the universally accepted maryada of the sikhs is the Akaal Takhat's rehit maryada.

However, on taking amrit you are most likely to be given more specific instructions in terms of your rehit (e.g. most amritdharis are expected to do 5 banis in the morning instead of 3).

Good luck!

Fateh jee

For example, some maryada say that eating meat is OK. But if you think about it, killing an animal for our taste buds may not be required if we have other food around. So based on that, I would never eat meat unless absolutely necessary (ie: I'm starving on an island somewhere).

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

You are assuming that all Vegetarian food tastes awful and all meat wonderful! I guess my favourite dish of white channay (despite being a meat eater), is not based on my taste buds!!! LOL.gifLOL.gif

FOLLOW PANTHIC MARYADA!!!!!!!

you will be set!!!!!!!

one more penny,

Dear all,

I don’t eat any meat now days, the thought of a animal dieing just for me, it just puts me off, :lol:

I went to India a couple of weeks ago and even killing mosquitoes seemed wrong. I thought to my self I have not come all this way from England to kill things.

Just me……