Young People?

4RR

....especially wen they thinkin that goin to gurdwaras is BORING........t

well if WE COULD UNDERSTAND what is being said, maybe it would not be boring. Goign to gurdwara and listing to punjabi which i can't understand si like listeing to TV static... it's boring no.gif

Fateh

LOLz....real sorry....didint think uv dat....i meant da youth who dun wanna know wats goin on....lol...ima sorry yo

Fateh

Its true that most of the Sikh youth does not attend Gurdwara, but the ones that are have limitless pyar for Sikhi and are so dedicated to simran and seva, just look at the youth on this forum for example, the Sikhs who post have so much love for our Guru and the gyan he's blessed us with! So when we do see that most of our youth is moving away from Sikhi, we also need to look at the Sikh youth that is doing so much for our Panth, and in turn, look at ourselves, and what we can do. It's quality, not quantity that matters. As a friend once told me, diamonds are precious because they're very few in numbers, but still seem to amaze everyone simply because of their beauty.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheugur Ji Ki Fateh

Fateh

very well said ji d_oh.gif

Fateh

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mehnu engregi katha di ehni samaj nai oundi. mera gurudwara vich sara engreji bolda bhai tu lai ka har bacha tak. Mehnu kuj nai samaj aundi then i start to goto detroit phir kuj anand aya MAA BOLI DA. I need punjabi not engregi. :)

well if WE COULD UNDERSTAND what is being said, maybe it would not be boring. Goign to gurdwara and listing to punjabi which i can't understand si like listeing to TV static... it's boring no.gif

Thats why down here in Surrey we are very lucky in having english katha done every Sat. :@ ))))

i'm assuming you have no knowledge or experience of people in sikhi other your own background...

Anyways, you do see youth at the gurdwara, but moslty hang outside playing hockey and ball... They should be in the house of the guru not playing outside. no.gif

It's true that young people should make an effort to learn Punjabi, but sometimes they can't be bothered.

Instead, they take the ''easier'' route, (ignoring going to the Gurudwara, Drinking, etc), because it's true, how following a religion is hard work. Most of the times young people just can't be bothered, and care more about their image as they grow older.

I don't think that kids understand that going to gurudwara, doing paath, doing naam simran, etc, can give you as good of a feeling as playing games or hangin' with their friends can. A nice solution to the "I can't understand the keertan" is SikhiToTheMax or the new Sikher that's coming out (can't wait!). In a lot of gurudwaras, in fact practially all that I've been to in a long time, have a projector and a person sitting on a laptop controling the PP presentations. Really, it doesn't cost that much to do this, especially if you can get somebody to just lend their equipment; I mean it's only a few hours, and if you're going to GW anyways.... just bring it along.

But then again, it has a lot to do with how they're raised; people say that you can always do something if you want... that's total crap; it's hard to learn things after you reach a certain age, and it takes good parenting for that. I'm not saying that we should blame the parents only, but still... this topic is beating on kids, when it's not fully their fault.

Also, I had an idea, which might seem kind of radical, but just a theory. We shouldn't just instill an inspiration to go, but more of a punishment by not going. Not like physically, but more mentally, but nothing like major... Basically my idea is if they're going to go out, shave their hair, get drunk, etc, they have to realize they're NOT sikh, and by saying they are to all other people they're ruing our name. It hurts me to see all the kids in my gurudwara that have cut their hair, even girls! I know we're supposed to treat boys/girls equally, but I'm just pointing out that the main reason kids don't follow Sikhi os so that they can fit in with the "westernized" peeps, but I've never heard of a girl being discriminated/made-fun of because she has long hair... c'mon! But sometimes you have to be harsh for somebody to understand, and if they don't and just walk away, well it's actually a good thing because then at least they won't be a bad influence to others. I dunno, I feel like I left this part of my message a bit "loosely" put-together. Any input?

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz
mehnu engregi katha di ehni samaj nai oundi. mera gurudwara vich sara engreji bolda bhai tu lai ka har bacha tak. Mehnu kuj nai samaj aundi then i start to goto detroit phir kuj anand aya MAA BOLI DA. I need punjabi not engregi. :)

Thats why down here in Surrey we are very lucky in having english katha done every Sat. :@ ))))

i'm assuming you have no knowledge or experience of people in sikhi other your own background...

Anyways, you do see youth at the gurdwara, but moslty hang outside playing hockey and ball... They should be in the house of the guru not playing outside. no.gif

hey bindy, were u meaning to say" i'm assuming you have no knowledge or experience of people in sikhi other THAN IN your own background..."??? wuz that sposed to mean??? the poor guy was just suggesting where you could find english katha since previously u had posted in another topic askin for english katha (or maybe it was this one). HAHAHA how can u say that someone has no experience with non punjabi sikhs just because they refer some ppl who are askin for eng katha to a source??? man i dont get what u posted cuz it just dont sound right-as a matter of fact it sounds bitter-maybe u meant something else-its all good, if u can just clear the air??another thing, dont try and get ppl to feel sorry for u b/c u werent born into the religion(atleast thats what i get form some of ur posts and others reactions), if u do paat and try and follow the path Guru ji will bless u more than someone who was born into the religion but doesnt remember God-we are all equal in Gods eyes.....

bhull chuk maf karni ji

Although I'm aware that some people speak no punjabi at all, I would like to encourage those who do speak a litle punjabi or those who are beginning to learn to go in and try to listen to the katha. I had very poor Punjabi skills at first, over the course of a year listening to katha I found that my comprehension actually increased over time. I would just go in, try to sit still, and do simran. At the very least, you are getting kamai from doing simran in the Guru's Hazoorie.

Guest PunjabSingh

If you can get a radio that has dasmesh darbars staion on it(u can get it from surrey) then u can listen...or maybe they have it on the net try googling dasmesh darbar surrey :music: :music:

Try http://clik.to/PunjabiRadio and then click on Dasmesh Darbar Radio for live audio :T:

At least we all know that possibly one reason why young people don't like going to the Gurudwara is due to their lack of punjabi skill. But what about thise who do understand punjabi? What's their excuse? People say it'll take time for them to get into going to the Gurudwara, but how much time do they need?

What my main concern is the future generation. If young people now don't learn or appreciate their religion, just think, when they have their own children learning about our religion won't seem very important to them. Instead they'll blend in with the'modern' western society.