Samosa, Laado And Heart Disease..

WGJK WGJF

I just wanted to know if any Gudware about there run any health-awareness schemes within the Sikhi community? Or have any specific aerobics or sports/exercise events for the Sikhi community?

If you do, please tell me/us about it and whether it attracts a lot of Sangat and helps the Sangat.

Todays Singhs lack discipline. If we ate responsibly then we wouldn't be so overweight and suffering from so-many related illnesses

Most people know the dangers of over-eating. Look at our pot-bellied Granthis, Fathers and Uncles. It's embarrasing.

Many people in our Kaum are overweight, lazy abdun-healthy through lack of exercise and over-indulgence. The ironic thing is that this is NOT what our Guru Sahib's preached to us.

We always need to remember that we are part of a disciplined army and must always be fit and healthy ready for anything.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!

yup...all the giannis at siri harminder sahib are pretty fat every morning on alpha.

in our local gurdwara..they serve tea with and without sugar..i know its not that much but its a start!

as for the ladoos and gulab jamans (or cholesterol bombs as i call it - make ur heart explode tongue.gif )...we need to educate our people as much as possible...for example my family are jalaybee lovers (the very hot ones)..ok ok i admit i have a sweet tooth too..but the fact that its sugary stuff fried in oil doesnt really sound that good for you and so naturally my family and i have cut down the amount (and frequency) on sweets.

I think if one gurdwara shows by example by always having a healthy langar..i'm sure it will stop this common trend of fry-ups every morning. Langar on a sunday could comprise of:

6am-9am = porridge/cereals/fruit/water!

9am-12pm = toast/tea...erm cant think of anything else :lol: ...(ok bring back the samosay!)

12pm-2pm = roti with daals and sabjis made sparingly with olive oil/rapeseed oil..with as much salt as possible, not to mention plenty of salad and fruit!

ok forget this plan...just make everyone do 50 pressups followed by 10 laps around the gurdwara car park..then you can have all the samosay and ladoos you want (ignore this sentence)

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

isrIrwgu mhlw 1 ]

sireeraag mehalaa 1 ||

Siree Raag, First Mehla:

siB rs imTy mMinAY suixAY swloxy ]

sabh ras mit(h)ae ma(n)niai suniai saalonae ||

Believing, all tastes are sweet. Hearing, the salty flavors are tasted;

Kt qursI muiK bolxw mwrx nwd kIey ]

khatt thurasee mukh bolanaa maaran naadh keeeae ||

chanting with one's mouth, the spicy flavors are savored. All these spices have been made from the Sound-current of the Naad.

CqIh AMimRq Bwau eyku jw kau ndir kryie ]1]

shhatheeh a(n)mrith bhaao eaek jaa ko nadhar karaee ||1||

The thirty-six flavors of ambrosial nectar are in the Love of the One Lord; they are tasted only by one who is blessed by His Glance of Grace. ||1||

bwbw horu Kwxw KusI KuAwru ]

baabaa hor khaanaa khusee khuaar ||

O Baba, the pleasures of other foods are false.

ijqu KwDY qnu pIVIAY mn mih clih ivkwr ]1] rhwau ]

jith khaadhhai than peerreeai man mehi chalehi vikaar ||1|| rehaao ||

Eating them, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. ||1||Pause||

rqw pYnxu mnu rqw supydI squ dwnu ]

rathaa painan man rathaa supaedhee sath dhaan ||

My mind is imbued with the Lord's Love; it is dyed a deep crimson. Truth and charity are my white clothes.

nIlI isAwhI kdw krxI pihrxu pYr iDAwnu ]

neelee siaahee kadhaa karanee pehiran pair dhhiaan ||

The blackness of sin is erased by my wearing of blue clothes, and meditation on the Lord's Lotus Feet is my robe of honor.

kmrbMdu sMqoK kw Dnu jobnu qyrw nwmu ]2]

kamaraba(n)dh sa(n)thokh kaa dhhan joban thaeraa naam ||2||

Contentment is my cummerbund, Your Name is my wealth and youth. ||2||

bwbw horu pYnxu KusI KuAwru ]

baabaa hor painan khusee khuaar ||

O Baba, the pleasures of other clothes are false.

ijqu pYDY qnu pIVIAY mn mih clih ivkwr ]1] rhwau ]

jith paidhhai than peerreeai man mehi chalehi vikaar ||1|| rehaao ||

Wearing them, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. ||1||Pause||

GoVy pwKr suieny swKiq bUJxu qyrI vwt ]

ghorrae paakhar sueinae saakhath boojhan thaeree vaatt ||

The understanding of Your Way, Lord, is horses, saddles and bags of gold for me.

qrks qIr kmwx sWg qygbMd gux Dwqu ]

tharakas theer kamaan saa(n)g thaegaba(n)dh gun dhhaath ||

The pursuit of virtue is my bow and arrow, my quiver, sword and scabbard.

vwjw nyjw piq isau prgtu krmu qyrw myrI jwiq ]3]

vaajaa naejaa path sio paragatt karam thaeraa maeree jaath ||3||

To be distinguished with honor is my drum and banner. Your Mercy is my social status. ||3||

bwbw horu cVxw KusI KuAwru ]

baabaa hor charranaa khusee khuaar ||

O Baba, the pleasures of other rides are false.

ijqu ciVAY qnu pIVIAY mn mih clih ivkwr ]1] rhwau ]

jith charriai than peerreeai man mehi chalehi vikaar ||1|| rehaao ||

By such rides, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. ||1||Pause||

Gr mMdr KusI nwm kI ndir qyrI prvwru ]

ghar ma(n)dhar khusee naam kee nadhar thaeree paravaar ||

The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the pleasure of houses and mansions. Your Glance of Grace is my family, Lord.

hukmu soeI quDu BwvsI horu AwKxu bhuqu Apwru ]

hukam soee thudhh bhaavasee hor aakhan bahuth apaar ||

The Hukam of Your Command is the pleasure of Your Will, Lord. To say anything else is far beyond anyone's reach.

nwnk scw pwiqswhu pUiC n kry bIcwru ]4]

naanak sachaa paathisaahu pooshh n karae beechaar ||4||

O Nanak, the True King does not seek advice from anyone else in His decisions. ||4||

bwbw horu sauxw KusI KuAwru ]

baabaa hor sounaa khusee khuaar ||

O Baba, the pleasure of other sleep is false.

ijqu suqY qnu pIVIAY mn mih clih ivkwr ]1] rhwau ]4]7]

jith suthai than peerreeai man mehi chalehi vikaar ||1|| rehaao ||4||7||

By such sleep, the body is ruined, and wickedness and corruption enter into the mind. ||1||Pause||4||7||

I was thinking of running a health-scheme in our local gudwara, checking for blood-pressure, cholesterol, dietary advice etc etc...but there are NO overweight men in our Gudwara...LOL!

I'm sure I'll find some...somewhere!!!!