What Would You Do?

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

GuruJi only ate deer to prove that the Hindu superstition is false and you dont get struck by lightning if you ate during the eclipse.He didnt eat deer as a diet practice. I have ate meat a long time ago, and I havent since but doesnt mean Im not a strict vegetarian now and forever

Guru Gobind gave money to the Brahmans to eat and didnt eat it himself.

There is also a sakhi of meat being served in Guru Ka Langar.:::: This is against Gurmat.Does your story say he served this meat at the Gurdwaras Langar? Remember he was Guru so anywhere he gave food was Guru Ka Langar but not actually on Gurdwara grounds

Eating vegetarian at the Gurdwara is for simplicity as how all Sikhs should eat.

Just to point out one thing scientifically proven. Pork fat/meat ie impossible for the human stomach to digest properly and the fat get absorbed in the body. A pig is also a filthy animal, and turns carnivorous once tasting blood. This is just one meat so far, but teaching about meat would be a seminar and would take forever to talk about fully.So just in this example pork meat is a health risk.

post-5391-1149655597_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The message is that if Guru Ji cooked it and ate it. It is not paap. Simple as that. Guru Ji wouldn't do wrong to prove something. Well, wherever there is Sangat, Nishaan Sahib and Guru. It is Gurudwara. Above all, if Gurbani says nothing wrong then Guru Sahib also said nothing wrong and ate it. This was never an issue with Sikhs. If you read the past hitorical references and eye witness accounts by foreigners and even Islamic writers like Mohsunfani, it is clear that meat isn't banned. Main thing is health. For some people, meat isn't healthy so they should not eat it. For others, it is and their body needs it. They got to eat it. We eat for health and to survive. It depends on the person too.

Here is a file:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?act=At...pe=post&id=3895

Guru Nanak Dev ji did not eat meat. Cursed be such a tongue that spews such lies. It was with the touch of the Guru that what apeared to be meat was parshad.

for a detalied explanation of the shabad "maas maas kar moorakh jhangarey" which also debunks the myth that Guru Nanak Dev ji ate meat, please listen to Gyani Takhur Singh ji...

http://www.gurmatveechar.com/katha.php?k=gts

btw, ban is on halal because in harsh times like dharm yudh jhatka is allowed. But Guru ji never accepts us eating meat as a regular part of our diet.

STOP!

This wasn't meant to be about Guru Ji and what he would do, since he and Akal Purakh are merged. Thus the Guru Maharaj never needs sustenance - he can exist on the power of Naam forever. Naam is the support of all.

The REASON I stated a PIG and wrote non-milking animal was so people couldn't cheat and say they would drink the milk of an animal. :@ _oh_OLD:

If I had put cow in that example, you could say I would drink it's milk. Which defeats the purpose of this 'moral dilemma'. :) @

However, I don't think any of us are anywhere near the level of spirituality of Guru Ji and thus would be incapable of surviving without food.

THIS WAS NOT MEANT TO BE A THREAD ABOUT MEAT v NON-MEAT EATING as this is not allowed in this discussion. This was meant to about you - each and every one of you - and what would you do if it was YOU in this dilemma.

NB: READ MY POST IN THE THIRD PAGE BEFORE REPLYING

Okay, a while back I heard how some Sikhs said they would eat meat if there was nothing else and others said they wouldn't even if it meant them dying.

This plus a joke (see below) got me thinking.

Imagine you are in the desert. Nothing around for hundreds of miles. You have very little water left. No food. For days, you do an Ardaas to the Lord and pray for some food. Day after day, you pray to the Lord for some food.

One day, you're sitting there and a pig* comes out of nowhere and just stands around in front of you.

DO YOU EAT IT?

*doesn't have to be a pig, but must be an animal you can't drink milk from

** bear in mind there's nothing but sand around for miles. No grass, trees, vegetation or other humans.

Below's the joke that made me think of the above:

------------------------------------------the joke--------------------------------------------------------

A farmer is in Iowa during a flood. The river is overflowing, with water surrounding the farmer's home up to his front porch. As he is standing there, a boat comes up, The man in the boat says "Jump in, I'll take you to safety."

The farmer crosses his arms and says stubbornly, "Nope, I put my trust in God."

The boat goes away. The water rises to the second floor. Another boat comes up, the man says to the farmer who is now in the second story window, "Jump in, I'll save you."

The farmer again says, "Nope, I put my trust in God."

The boat goes away. Now the water is up to the roof. As The farmer stands on the roof, a helicopter comes over, and drops a ladder. The pilot yells down to the farmer "I'll save you, climb the ladder."

The farmer says "Nope, I put my trust in God."

The helicopter goes away. The water comtinues to rise and sweeps the farmer off the roof. He drowns.

The farmer goes to heaven. God sees him and says "What are you doing here?"

The farmer says "I put my trust in you and you let me down."

God says, "What do you mean, let you down? I sent you two boats and a helicopter!!! What more did you want!?!!"

Kuthha and Sikhism

The controversy in the Khalsa Panth over being a vegetarian or non-vegetarian arose due to the difference in the interpretation of the word Kuthha - one of the four primary taboos or Cardinal Sins for the Sikhs. Before going into the depth of what "Kuthha' really means, it is imperative to consider the real importance of these taboos in Sikhism. It is an undisputed fact that any Sikh who commits any one of these four taboos becomes an apostate. That means he is no longer a Sikh, i.e., he is automatically de-linked and ex-communicated from the Khalsa Brotherhood, even though he may be considered a Sikh by society. As a natural corollary, he loses the Grace of the Satguru without which no progress can be made in achieving the Bliss of Naam-Simran. The four great taboos prescribed for the Sikhs are, thus, of fundamental importance.

Being of such fundamental importance, the four taboos cannot, obviously, be based upon any temporary contingency of the prevailing circumstances. They must have their own solid basis and foundation, and must be conducive to spiritual upliftment through Naam-Simran, which occupies the pivotal position in the whole edifice of Sikhism. Otherwise, they will lose their applicability in the changed circumstances, especially when their role in the spiritual progress is doubtful or even negative. It is explicit in Gurbani that the principles of Gurmat are unchangeable and of permanent standing:

"Gurmatat Mat Achal Hai Chalaey Na Sakey Koey" (pg. 548)

[The Instruction of the Guru is Unshakable. None can change it.]

Obviously, therefore, these four basic taboos formulated by the Tenth Guru must have their own solid base which would stand the stress of all times.

The word Kuthha is generally (or erronously) taken to mean HaIaaI meat i.e. "Meat obtained by the Muslim method of slaying the animal, slowly severing the main blood artery of the throat of the animal, while reciting religious formulae, the main object of slaughtering in this manner being a sacrifice to God to expiate the sins of the slaughterer and its flesh as food being only a secondary object..." The Jhatka method has been described as killing the animal with one stroke of the weapon without exciting fear glands secreting poisons into its bloodstream and without causing harniftil psychic waves to emanate from the animal's mind."

The origin and basis of Halaal method of slaying animals by Muslims may have been sacrificial. However, by the time of the Sikh Gurus, it had just become a "Muslim method" without any consideration of its sacrificial origin. In fact, a separate class of professionals, called butchers, had emerged with the sole purpose of slaying the animals in this way. Thus, through the employment of butchers, the original idea of slaughtering the animal as a "sacrifice to God to expiate the sins of the slaughterer" had ceased to exist. The original practice had become professionalized and commercialized and remains so even now. So, according to the generally prevailing idea as advocated by many Sikh scholars, the main reason for imposing this taboo of not eating Halaal meat is not that it is sacrificial or even religious. Rather this taboo had been imposed primarily to liberate the Sikhs from mental slavery of the then rulers of the Muslim faith who had banned by law the slaying of animals by any method other than Halaal. If this interpretation is accepted, then the following points arise:

For the rest of this article please visit this link:

http://panthkhalsa.org/rahit/rahit_kuthha.php

The message is that if Guru Ji cooked it and ate it. It is not paap. Simple as that. Guru Ji wouldn't do wrong to prove something. Well, wherever there is Sangat, Nishaan Sahib and Guru. It is Gurudwara. Above all, if Gurbani says nothing wrong then Guru Sahib also said nothing wrong and ate it. This was never an issue with Sikhs. If you read the past hitorical references and eye witness accounts by foreigners and even Islamic writers like Mohsunfani, it is clear that meat isn't banned. Main thing is health. For some people, meat isn't healthy so they should not eat it. For others, it is and their body needs it. They got to eat it. We eat for health and to survive. It depends on the person too.

that's a good point.. never actually thought of that :@ I think meat even if it isn't banned, should not be langar meals just toso that the mealsremain simple and fast. When you start making alot of preperation formeat, it can take time as well as make the simple langar a feast.

Yes, it is true that in some areas of the world that meat is a main diet for people... some foods go down better for others, and some people not. Learn to repsect other cultures/peoples diets and customs.

-LC

Mod note: Topic closed on the request of topic starter and sangat.