Khalsa Colours And Chola/bana

KH4L1$T4N1

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

I get lucky sometimes when I search for specific things and sometimes it takes days and days to reach the info I want. One site that I can think of off the Daasam Duaar of My Gurus Head {top of my head}{which isnt my head its my Gurus} is www.AmritWorld.com its like Disney World except there is no rides no Mickey mouse no castle no giftshops and it all Sikh info hehehehehehe So in other words not at all like Disney world heheheheh.Theres go Nihung info too.

That sux they asked you to wear orange and you wore blue. Disobeying starts from Manmat and ends with manmat.You should listen. What if they were taking a picture of the Group as wearing orange and you werent wearing the proper attire color.

Blue used to be a Muslim warriors color but they have used their sacred color green for the last 7-800 years. If you look at and Army they are all wearing the same thing{in the U.S camo}. Even at work the Cashiers wear one color while the management wears the managements color to show who is who so you dont have to guess.U.S Civil War{and any other Army} officers wore officers attire and the General wore his certain attire.

You can get really in depth with Khalsa colors but I dont feel like typing a huge report Ill have to ask you to research it which youll be reading for a while {if you check many resources}

Blue was a Muslim saints color of attire thats why GuruJi wore this when traveling through Muslim territory towards his last months of Earthly living.

Hmmm, so we must all obey all commands? I get your reasoning with this example, but i'm just reflecting on a comman atititude that many of us have nowadays...

Did our guru's (human form) convert to sikhi? Did Shaheed Jarnail Bindranwale Singh Khalsa ji obey the GOA? I think IMHO that many of us in the sikhi community have allowed ourselves to be influenced and manipulated by so called sants and corrupt commitees. sure obeying the guru granth sahib ji and waheguru is a must, but should we be really putting our faith in imperfect human beings? I don't know if it's part of the indian culture or society or is somethinb new today. Iether way, i know that it's important to keep the sikh identity as well as your own, and to take peoples opinions with a grain of salt (like mine tongue.gif ) and to follow rehat from the source itself - the guru granth sahib ji, as there are litterely many rehats out there.

So while we talk about what colors we should wear, who should be elected, what "sant" we should look up too and telling people eating meat are not sikhs... time is passing by, and we are letting oportunities to spread sikhi go by unoticed as well as letting the relatively small problems in the sikhi community get larger and larger by each passing year.

just a observation...

:@

So dont listen to any human being ever again and you should feel happy.

Rehat doesnt come from SGGS as a base although you should follow what is recorded therin.If all humans are imperfect dont eat the prashad made by them, dont go to Sadh Sangat, and just sit at home because we are all imperfect humans.When people dont listen it makes us even more unperfect. What would have happened if Bhai Lehna didnt follow the instructions of GuruJi?Why should anyone listen to anyone else rather than themselves?, because we would be "chikens with our heads cut off" running around with no discipline and self control and everyone would have their own ways and things. As a society of Sikhs we must learn to understand things rather than just do our own things in our own ways.If a BabaJi askes you to do something and you refuse then you go against the teachings of Sikhi when it comes to humility and service.

So dont listen to any human being ever again and you should feel happy.

Rehat doesnt come from SGGS as a base although you should follow what is recorded therin.If all humans are imperfect dont eat the prashad made by them, dont go to Sadh Sangat, and just sit at home because we are all imperfect humans.When people dont listen it makes us even more unperfect. What would have happened if Bhai Lehna didnt follow the instructions of GuruJi?Why should anyone listen to anyone else rather than themselves?, because we would be "chikens with our heads cut off" running around with no discipline and self control and everyone would have their own ways and things. As a society of Sikhs we must learn to understand things rather than just do our own things in our own ways.If a BabaJi askes you to do something and you refuse then you go against the teachings of Sikhi when it comes to humility and service.

Well you just took my words and stretched it out to another extrme, you have a bad habit of doing that, anyways...

My point is that we put our trust to much into so called sants and higher people, as it has been mentioned here before. No boubt we need leaders and we need follow instructions in our life. However, many of us sacrifice our way of life just to please someone else, or because it is the norm. That is what i'm talking about...

Which "baba ji" are you refering too anyways?

Any true BabaJi.

The rest isnt streched. you just need someone there to correct your way of thinking the dynamics of Sikhi. I just so happen to log-on right after you comment.

I have a bad habit of coming here rather than doing research on things worth learning about like reasons of banis, sikh history etc.

Any true BabaJi.

The rest isnt streched. you just need someone there to correct your way of thinking the dynamics of Sikhi. I just so happen to log-on right after you comment.

I have a bad habit of coming here rather than doing research on things worth learning about like reasons of banis, sikh history etc.

Than why are you here???

And you still havnt answered my question... rolleyes.gif

WJKK WJKF

Sangat jee, i recently read that the Saffron colour is not a khalsa colour, but a Hindutva colour, i know that a orange/saffron is used by the hindus but is that any differen to the Khalsa colour? or is saffron even a Khalsa colour? could someone provide some reliable historic sources which mention what is Khalsa colour and what is not, also is the importance and origans of the chola and Bana mentioned anywhere in Sikh History as it seems like an adaptation of Muslim dress (Amritpal Singh Site) and as far as i know the only type of bana given to the Sikhs is the 5ks.

WJKK WJKF

Saffron is associated with Asceticism, and also spirituality. Blue is associated with Warriordom and Temporal affairs.

Our Guru's chose these colours specifically, because the Saffron reminds us of the Spiritual nature of Sikhi, but the blue pulls us away from the ascetic side of the Saffron by reminding us of Temporal affairs.

It is like Miri and Piri.....one cannot just talk about Miri, by itself in Sikhi, or just Piri.

Likewise Saffron by itself is a Hindu colour, but combined with blue becomes the standard bear of Sikhs!!! :TH:

Saffron is Hindu colour. It signifies renunciation of the world. Sikhs don’t believe in renouncing the world. The equivalent in Sikhism is Chardi Kala – hope and optimism.

The symbolic colour of Chardi Kala is Besanti ( colour of the spring season – This the colour of the yellow/ yellowish flowers called “Satberg”) . I think the “Besanti “ colour is called “Xanthia” in English .

Saffron colour somehow ( slowly) started to replace the besanti colour of Nishan Sahib after 1947. Somehow the Sikh started to associate the colour of Nishan Sahib (besanti) to that of Kesari (Saffron) colour on the Indian flag.

The green colour on the Indian flag is Muslim colour. The Kesari (Saffron) on the Indian flag is Hindu colour ( the Sikhs being considered/declared Hindus ) The gullible Sikhs started to believe that the Kesari (saffron ) on the flag is also their colour. Now at most places even the Nishan Sahibs are saffron (instead of besanti)

Please also refer to Jathedar Vidanti’s recent remarks

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion....33;OpenDocument

Saffron is Hindu colour. It signifies renunciation of the world. Sikhs don’t believe in renouncing the world. The equivalent in Sikhism is Chardi Kala – hope and optimism.

The symbolic colour of Chardi Kala is Besanti ( colour of the spring season – This the colour of the yellow/ yellowish flowers called “Satberg”) . I think the “Besanti “ colour is called “Xanthia” in English .

Saffron colour somehow ( slowly) started to replace the besanti colour of Nishan Sahib after 1947. Somehow the Sikh started to associate the colour of Nishan Sahib (besanti) to that of Kesari (Saffron) colour on the Indian flag.

The green colour on the Indian flag is Muslim colour. The Kesari (Saffron) on the Indian flag is Hindu colour ( the Sikhs being considered/declared Hindus ) The gullible Sikhs started to believe that the Kesari (saffron ) on the flag is also their colour. Now at most places even the Nishan Sahibs are saffron (instead of besanti)

Please also refer to Jathedar Vidanti’s recent remarks

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20060505/punjab1.htm#7

Brother, I don't know whether Vedanti is right.

I'll check my books for refrence to saffron and blue. Remmeber Saffron by itself maybe Hindu.....but we combine it with the blue...............something that infuriate the Brahmin's and the times of the Guru's.

Kesari or Basanti? I have not read any written reference in support of adopting one colour or the other. (Also I do not claim to have more knowledge of history about how and why diffirent colours were adopted.). However, I have seen old picture/ paintings of old murals showing Nishan Sahibs. They (Nishan Sahibs) seem to be yellowish - more like Basanti rather than Kesari. Chardi Kala is one of the Piri aspect of the Sikhi. Sikhi promoted positive outlook of life rather than fear of deities as was promoted by the Hinduism of the days of Gurus. Adopting “renunciation” as a way to spirituality was discouraged . Guru Nanak was not happy with Baba Siri Chand for this reason. So Jathedar Vedanti “MAY” be right in bringing this to our attention.

Regarding the blue colour, it certainly signifies the warrior aspect (ONE of the Miri aspect) of Sikhi. Nihangs always had this as their favorite colour. (My grand uncle was a Nihang. He wore basanti with blue turban, or blue with blue and basanti turban, or white with blue and basanti turban . (The basanti part of his turban used to be only one or two “laRh”).

Blue was also adopted by the Akalies, during their struggle to free the historic gurdwaras, as the distinguishing colour of their turbans (though many Akalis also wore white turbans).