Cutting Your Hair...

4RR

WGJK, WGJF

I write a newspaper for my school each week. And unfortunately, recently a sikh boy the age of 16, was being bullied...because he wore a turban. It wasn't the first time this had happened to him, but i think it was the last straw! As a result, he cut his hair, behind his parents back. When they found out, they were really upset.

Now for my newspaper, I was thinking of writing a section for all the sikhs in my sixth form block and school, about the reasons not to cut your hair, and how to stop yourself from feeling down because someone is bullying you. Any tips? It could really help me and other people.

I could include a story, a quote from the Guru Ji's, anything pleeease.

PS. This piece of the article will only be read by the sikhs as i will post it to their houses.

4RR

Where is this happening? Are there resources, ie. a single brave sikh who will deal with the bullying head on via "socio-political" means (have the will and savvy)? Tell us where this is happening and maybe you could include a phone number or email contact address in your article of someone to contact if there is bullying. If nothing else you could include this website as a place for sikhs who are being bullied to post directly to seek advice and support.

Our self confidence and willingness should envision the bully and authorities to kiss the feet of the person they are picking on, even though that's not exactly the goal.

Perhaps, the school, the teachers who are aware, the principle, those in charge of running the school, and everyone else will have a new found respect for their current responsibilities if they will have to personally answer to media, police, sikh community, and eventually courts, legal bills and bailiffs.

Any brothers and sisters being bullied, please don't be silent. Post here.

well, so far so good with your suggestions.

the boy who was being bullied, has now moved away because of the shame and memories he has at the school. the school is in Derbyshire area, and there are a lot of sikhs who do get bullied. when they do get bullied, they question God and believe that there is no need to keeping their long hair. But what i hope to focus on in this newspaper, is-

* That just becus sumone bullies u doesn't mean u should lose all hope. I mean, who is that bully? He/she is not God, and doesn't have the power to take away your life- I'd want to remind the sikhs that it isn't the bully who u should be afraid off, and that God possibly allows these things to happen to build your courage...

* U shouldn't let petty people influence you, because you are who you are.

* Your body is your temple...and your hair grows for a reason, just like u have coloured skin for a reason. It is the bully who should know better and is losing out!

So any more suggestions...

these are my views,

I belive when God created everything, he created it so perfectly that there was no such thing to alternate.

We are God's creation, we all do believe that God is the perfect creator!

He gave us kesh/long hair, so why do we have to abuse it? - an example: somebody kept hitting your arm or leg, would you cut if off because of that, or would you stand up to them and show them you are a servant of God? and try and explain the imporatance of your hair rather than running away...

I agree that we would all feel embarassed in public if someone pulled of your sacred crown, but dont think like them...think how a baby would think, he does whatever he wants joyfully in public, even though it be seem absured to the adults! But one must remember that Guru Ji is always there for you and looking towards you and giving you a hand in every situation you need, may it be finding strength, guidance, knowledge, or whatsoever, Guru Ji will always be there, therefore, belive in him as He believes in you.

thank you for the advice tongue.gif but we had a recent tragedy upon us. will talk about it later....

but think back a liitle while, When Guru Gobind Singh came at the battle of Chamkaur, regardless of his son's - our dear chardi kala brothers ( Bhai Jujhar Singh and Bhai Ajit Singh), He respected sikhi and humanity and went bear feet across the battle field, this shows how much Guru Gobind Singh respect his sikhs' for keeping their hair and the shahidhi they gave just to pretoect their belief, religion, and hair.

I am in a bit of hurry, but i am sure you can put it in a better way!

well, Harsimran next time you're on here please continue with giving me your advice...As the holidays have started i've decided to do a homepage and post it to all the sikhs. I think it will receive more attention that way. Really appreciate all your advices by the way guys, glad that i shared this with u all :TH:

4RR