[salok] Bhagat Kabeer Jeeo Kae

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

I feel like i'm taking over this Gurbani Veechar forum, and it is worrying. I'm also sure there are other people out there who could share valuable knowledge with everyone. The quality of the forum could be increased greatly - not too hard to imagine, seeing as i'm posting pictures of ants and stuff...

Anyway :wub: .

ਕਬੀਰ ਬਾਂਸੁ ਬਡਾਈ ਬੂਡਿਆ ਇਉ ਮਤ ਡੂਬਹੁ ਕੋਇ ॥

kabeer baaNs badaa-ee boodi-aa i-o mat doobahu ko-ay

Kabeer, the bamboo is drowned in its egotistical pride. No one should drown like this.

ਚੰਦਨ ਕੈ ਨਿਕਟੇ ਬਸੈ ਬਾਂਸੁ ਸੁਗੰਧੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥੧੨॥

chandan kai niktay basai baaNs suganDh na ho-ay.

Bamboo also dwells near the sandalwood tree, but it does not take up its fragrance.

“baans” = bamboo

“badaa-ee boodi-aa” = drowning in egotistical pride

(badaa-ee = great, honour. here it’s in a negative way.)

“doobahu” = drown

“chandan” = sandalwood

“niktay basai” = dwell near

“sudgand” = sweet fragrance

More trees :wub:

In this Salok Bhagat Kabeer Ji adds on the bamboo tree to the analogy of the sandalwood tree. Bamboo trees are very tall, usually outgrowing all the other trees nearby. Even when the bamboo tree is right next to a sandalwood sapling, it doesn’t begin to smell sweet (like our ugly weeds in the previous Salok did).

In order for us to become spiritually Sweet, we can’t go around boasting about any qualities we think we have. We’ll end up drowning in our own ego. In reality Maharaj gives us all different abilities, and it is not for us to compare ourselves to others. Essentially we all have one Jyot inside us – we’re all drops from the same clear blue ocean.

It’s a shame that so many of us become obsessed with ourselves so much that we fail to think about others or Maharaj. Either we think everything on the planet revolves around us, or we get unbelievably depressed about how “bad” we are. IMHO both of these states of mind are a waste of valuable time. Both of them concentrate on “us” more than Maharaj. Humility is essential, but this will come as soon as we begin to meditate on Maharaj. It will also bring happiness – so really there’s no need to feel bad about ourselves. Actually, there is no “us”. Only Satguru Ji. Which is a comforting thought :D .

Panda_eating_bamboo.jpg

The panda reminded me of Maharaj's extreme creativity. Serves the bamboo right for being so egotistical rolleyes.gif .

:umm::

~l~

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh

to add a little

bamboo tree is like a manmukh, going arounf boasting

n sandalwood is a gurmukh, as we know sandalwood makes the plants that dwells near it to smell as good as the sandalwood smells, tats wat a true gurmukh is. he changes the ppl around him into gursikhs n at the same time doesnt lose the sugandhi(gunh)

bhai gurdaas ji has used example of sandalwood & bamboo trees in his vaaran many many times

this is juz little things i know

bhul chukk maaf

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh

woops sorry wat ever i said is already on the other thread

me=moorakh

sorry