Color Of Dastaar...does That Matter?

Guest s133k_s1kh

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

Does Gurbani actually say "a Sikh must marry in this way"?????

I know SGGS has the lavan tuks, but it doesnt say you must get married this way it just says when you walk this round and that etc.

Why must you wear a turban at all then????????? (Do you even wear a turban?)

Do you know what esle has personal prefrence??? MANMAT

Spending my time on the forum is being part of SANGATH and gets counted, its just not forum, its time spent well

This is not a real Sadh Sangat because people can be soo fake and lie. People give advice they dont follow etc.

Go to the actual Gurdwara or a Dharamsala and then there is Sadh Sangat

If you only get info from GuruJi then how can you read about rehat??? Or how can you take info from here???????? Books have no relevence then why is there a huge Sikhi book industry that somehow seems to release "books" to the public for people to read. Is this darmat to read books with information in them??????????

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest s133k_s1kh

FATEH!!!

1. Lets stick to the topic. I have seen many a threads move off topic.

2. PSK veer ji ..dont get wired. we are here to discuss and get the views of the sangat. You are strict about SIKHI its good.

But fighting over colors doesnt justify your firmness to SIKHI. I guess SIKHI has more to it then just certain colors.

You said Orange/White/Black/Blue are the KHALSA colors. My question still stays " Why are the other colors not to be worn"? Do they have any deleterious effect on the person wearing em ?

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Does Gurbani actually say "a Sikh must marry in this way"?????

I know SGGS has the lavan tuks, but it doesnt say you must get married this way it just says when you walk this round and that etc.

Why must you wear a turban at all then????????? (Do you even wear a turban?)

Do you know what esle has personal prefrence??? MANMAT

Spending my time on the forum is being part of SANGATH and gets counted, its just not forum, its time spent well

This is not a real Sadh Sangat because people can be soo fake and lie. People give advice they dont follow etc.

Go to the actual Gurdwara or a Dharamsala and then there is Sadh Sangat

If you only get info from GuruJi then how can you read about rehat??? Or how can you take info from here???????? Books have no relevence then why is there a huge Sikhi book industry that somehow seems to release "books" to the public for people to read. Is this darmat to read books with information in them??????????

History tells about Anand Karaj, the name we give it.

If Guru Ram Das followed the Lava for his wedding, then we must OBEY Guru Ji and take the lava as well, there is no Ifs or BUTS.

Of course I wear a turban, always have done and will do as well everywhere I go. There is more to turban

About the turban

There is a scriptural injunction on the maintenance of unshorn hair and wearing of turban in Guru Granth Sahib (p.1084), which states Sabat surat dastaar sira. Sabhat means whole, unshorn, unaltered and pure in its original form. Dastaar, is turban and sira is head. Collectively it means, a person replete with full physical features inclusive of hair as granted to him by God and a turban to adorn the head. Hair and turban is the crowning glory of a male and this has been the traditional dress of our rishis, Gurus, saints and bhagats. A Sikh is not complete without his turban which he supports all the time. Among the four taboos (Kurehts) prescribed for a Sikh, cutting or trimming of hair is one.

If I spend my time thinking this forum is SANGATH and we can share all our experiences then that’s fine, no skin of my nose is someone is fake etc, Guru Rakha:

Though sangat has freedom to discuss secular matters affecting the community, it is its spiritual core which imparts to it the status and authority it commands in the Sikh system. As Guru Nanak says, “satsangat is where the Divine Name alone is cherished” (GG, 72). This is where virtues are learnt. “Satsangat is the Guru’s own school where one practises godlike qualities” (GG, 1316). Attendance at sangat wins one nearness to God and release from the circuit of birth and death. “Sitting among sangat one should recite God’s praise and thereby swim across the impassable ocean of existence” (GG, 95). As satsangat is obtained through the Guru’s grace, the Name blossoms forth in the heart (GG, 67-68). “Amid sangat abides the Lord God” (GG, 94). “God resides in the sangat. He who comprehends the Guru’s word realizes this truth (GG, 1314). “Deprived of sangat, one’s self remains begrimed” (GG, 96). “Without sangat ego will not be dispelled” (GG, 1098). Says Guru Arjan in Sukhmani, “Highest among all works is joining the sangat and thereby conquering the evil propensities of the mind” (GG, 266). Again, “As one lost in a thick jungle rediscovers one’s path, so will one be enlightened in the company of the holy” (GG, 282).

If you deep read Bhai Gurdas’s bani a key to Guru Granth Sahib you will know, how to remain in rehat. Guru Gobind Singh didn’t just say for sake of it that Guru Granth sahib is and will be the Guru for now and the future.

You said Orange/White/Black/Blue are the KHALSA colors. My question still stays " Why are the other colors not to be worn"? Do they have any deleterious effect on the person wearing em ?

The fact is to only wear colors that will represent the Khalsa. If we only represent the Khalsa then we dont even know what it is to wear other colors becasue we dont question every tiny thing so we just represent, period.

If you are a Sikh police like in britain and canada then you have to represent your countires color and as a Sikh it is your duty to serve your society with heart, but any jo-shmo should represent the Khalsa strictly colors,attitude and all.

Why must a Sikh worry about there representation?????? because all eyes are on the Khalsa. We represent the Gurus roop. We walk in Gurus roop. We talk in Gurus roop. So we only do what will represent the Guru, and the Guru is the Khalsa.

ILL TRY TO FIND A FEW REFERENCES Ill be back later.

The fact is to only wear colors that will represent the Khalsa. If we only represent the Khalsa then we dont even know what it is to wear other colors becasue we dont question every tiny thing so we just represent, period.

If you are a Sikh police like in britain and canada then you have to represent your countires color and as a Sikh it is your duty to serve your society with heart, but any jo-shmo should represent the Khalsa strictly colors,attitude and all.

Why must a Sikh worry about there representation?????? because all eyes are on the Khalsa. We represent the Gurus roop. We walk in Gurus roop. We talk in Gurus roop. So we only do what will represent the Guru, and the Guru is the Khalsa.

ILL TRY TO FIND A FEW REFERENCES Ill be back later.

Veera, all I can say is ry and find the reference in Gurbani (Guru Granth Sahib) and nothing else, then I will obey and bow down to your comment! d_oh.gif

-is it some people who don't like green and red cos they represent the colours of Islam and Hinduism? - So by wearing colours more associated to Sikhism like -Pritam Singh Khalsa said- we can represent? I dont believe there to be any written rules over the colours but I suppose a few people who wear these colours (red and green) are frowned upon by some members of the Sangat cos of the association?

What colors do the Panj Pyare wear?????? What are the colors representing???? Are they allowed to wear purple and green????????? Are they only repping Khalsa colors????????

Rehat Maryada (Sikh Code of Conduct)

The Four Colours of the Khalsa

Blue, Black, White and Saffron

These four colours are to be worn. Other colours excite the mind and lure it to vices, and are therefore prohibited. Amritdhari Singhs/Singhni’s are specifically not to wear red or green at anytime. One is to dress humbly, any simple colours can be worn. Amritdhari women are not to wear ear rings, nose-rings, rings, bangles, nail polish, lipstick, bindi, henna, keeping long nails, wearing a saree etc. Piercing of any kind is prohibited.

bIDy kwn n nwk ko siqgur kI imRjwd ]

"The Code of Conduct of Satguru ji is that one is not to pierce their ears or nose."

(Rehatnama Bhai Deya Singh Ji, p. 78)

Singhs/Singhni’s are not to wear rings, ear-rings and other jewellery, Satguru ji says:

jn nwnk AMiq vwr nwmu ghxw ]

Guru Ji says your jewellery is the Naam which will be of assistance at your time of death."

(SGGSJ Ang 375)

In the next world only the jewellery of Naam is of assistance, worldly jewellery is of no avail. Amritdhari Singhs and Singhnia are to abstain from jooth (eating food that has already been eaten by others or is being shared). Food from restaurants is not to be consumed. Fruit should be eaten after it has been washed.

Degrading video films, television, cinema, dances are not to be watched. A Singh is not to wear a blanket around his waist in a traditional doti manner or a turla is not to be left out of the turban, (one strand left out of sequence).

Check this out my spiritual brother http://www.scys-online.org/site/Rehat17.html

What colors do the Panj Pyare wear?????? What are the colors representing???? Are they allowed to wear purple and green????????? Are they only repping Khalsa colors????????

Panj Pyaray are allowed to wear what ever colour attire they want, whom are we to question the GURU's payaray! As long as the bani is read out and one is accustomed to NAAM, then what importance does colour have.

Remember the Hindus wearing a piece of string that they say helps them to obtain salvation and Guru ji proved them wrong, so is the case of colours, its not the colours that will give you salvation or even the style, its "NAAM" that counts, nothing else will go with you.

Onpage 375 it no where says that:

jn nwnk AMiq vwr nwmu ghxw ]

Guru Ji says your jewellery is the Naam which will be of assistance at your time of death."

it however says:

drsn kI min Aws GnyrI koeI AYsw sMqu mo kau iprih imlwvY ]1] rhwau ] (375-1, Awsw, mÚ 5)

darsan kee man aas ghanayree ko-ee aisaa sant mo ka-o pireh milaavai. ||1|| rahaa-o.

My mind's desire for the Blessed Vision of His Darshan is so great. Is there any Saint who can lead me to meet my Beloved? ||1||Pause||

cwir phr chu jugh smwny ] (375-1, Awsw, mÚ 5)

chaar pahar chahu jugah samaanay.

The four watches of the day are like the four ages.

rYix BeI qb AMqu n jwny ]2] (375-2, Awsw, mÚ 5)

rain bha-ee tab ant na jaanay. ||2||

And when night comes, I think that it shall never end. ||2||

pMc dUq imil iprhu ivCoVI ] (375-2, Awsw, mÚ 5)

panch doot mil pirahu vichhorhee.

The five demons have joined together, to separate me from my Husband Lord.

BRim BRim rovY hwQ pCoVI ]3] (375-2, Awsw, mÚ 5)

bharam bharam rovai haath pachhorhee. ||3||

Wandering and rambling, I cry out and wring my hands. ||3||

jn nwnk kau hir drsu idKwieAw ] (375-3, Awsw, mÚ 5)

jan naanak ka-o har daras dikhaa-i-aa.

The Lord has revealed the Blessed Vision of His Darshan to servant Nanak;

Awqmu cIin@ prm suKu pwieAw ]4]15] (375-3, Awsw, mÚ 5)

aatam cheeneh param sukh paa-i-aa. ||4||15||

realizing his own self, he has obtained supreme peace. ||4||15||

Awsw mhlw 5 ] (375-4)

aasaa mehlaa 5.

Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:

hir syvw mih prm inDwnu ] (375-4, Awsw, mÚ 5)

har sayvaa meh param niDhaan.

In the Lord's service, are the greatest treasures.

hir syvw muiK AMimRq nwmu ]1] (375-4, Awsw, mÚ 5)

har sayvaa mukh amrit naam. ||1||

Serving the Lord, the Ambrosial Naam comes into one's mouth. ||1||

hir myrw swQI sMig sKweI ] (375-4, Awsw, mÚ 5)

har mayraa saathee sang sakhaa-ee.

The Lord is my Companion; He is with me, as my Help and Support.

duiK suiK ismrI qh maujUdu jmu bpurw mo kau khw frweI ]1] rhwau ] (375-5, Awsw, mÚ 5)

dukh sukh simree tah ma-ujood jam bapuraa mo ka-o kahaa daraa-ee. ||1|| rahaa-o.

In pain and pleasure, whenever I remember Him, He is present. How can the poor Messenger of Death frighten me now? ||1||Pause||

hir myrI Et mY hir kw qwxu ] (375-5, Awsw, mÚ 5)

har mayree ot mai har kaa taan.

The Lord is my Support; the Lord is my Power.

hir myrw sKw mn mwih dIbwxu ]2] (375-6, Awsw, mÚ 5)

har mayraa sakhaa man maahi deebaan. ||2||

The Lord is my Friend; He is my mind's advisor. ||2||

hir myrI pUMjI myrw hir vyswhu ] (375-6, Awsw, mÚ 5)

har mayree poonjee mayraa har vaysaahu.

The Lord is my capital; the Lord is my credit.

gurmuiK Dnu KtI hir myrw swhu ]3] (375-7, Awsw, mÚ 5)

gurmukh Dhan khatee har mayraa saahu. ||3||

As Gurmukh, I earn the wealth, with the Lord as my Banker. ||3||

gur ikrpw qy ieh miq AwvY ] (375-7, Awsw, mÚ 5)

gur kirpaa tay ih mat aavai.

By Guru's Grace, this wisdom has come.

jn nwnku hir kY AMik smwvY ]4]16] (375-7, Awsw, mÚ 5)

jan naanak har kai ank samaavai. ||4||16||

Servant Nanak has merged into the Being of the Lord. ||4||16||

Awsw mhlw 5 ] (375-8)

aasaa mehlaa 5.

Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:

pRBu hoie ik®pwlu q iehu mnu lweI ] (375-8, Awsw, mÚ 5)

parabh ho-ay kirpaal ta ih man laa-ee.

When God shows His Mercy, then this mind is focused on Him.

siqguru syiv sBY Pl pweI ]1] (375-8, Awsw, mÚ 5)

satgur sayv sabhai fal paa-ee. ||1||

Serving the True Guru, all rewards are obtained. ||1||

mn ikau bYrwgu krihgw siqguru myrw pUrw ] (375-9, Awsw, mÚ 5)

man ki-o bairaag karhigaa satgur mayraa pooraa.

O my mind, why are you so sad? My True Guru is Perfect.

mnsw kw dwqw sB suK inDwnu AMimRq sir sd hI BrpUrw ]1] rhwau ] (375-9, Awsw, mÚ 5)

mansaa kaa daataa sabh sukh niDhaan amrit sar sad hee bharpooraa. ||1|| rahaa-o.

He is the Giver of blessings, the treasure of all comforts; His Ambrosial Pool of Nectar is always overflowing. ||1||Pause||

crx kml ird AMqir Dwry ] (375-10, Awsw, mÚ 5)

charan kamal rid antar Dhaaray.

One who enshrines His Lotus Feet within the heart,

pRgtI joiq imly rwm ipAwry ]2] (375-10, Awsw, mÚ 5)

pargatee jot milay raam pi-aaray. ||2||

meets the Beloved Lord; the Divine Light is revealed to him. ||2||

pMc sKI imil mMglu gwieAw ] (375-11, Awsw, mÚ 5)

panch sakhee mil mangal gaa-i-aa.

The five companions have met together to sing the songs of joy.

Anhd bwxI nwdu vjwieAw ]3] (375-11, Awsw, mÚ 5)

anhad banee naad vajaa-i-aa. ||3||

The unstruck melody, the sound current of the Naad, vibrates and resounds. ||3||

guru nwnku quTw imilAw hir rwie ] (375-11, Awsw, mÚ 5)

gur naanak tuthaa mili-aa har raa-ay.

O Nanak, when the Guru is totally pleased, one meets the Lord, the King.

suiK rYix ivhwxI shij suBwie ]4]17] (375-12, Awsw, mÚ 5)

sukh rain vihaanee sahj subhaa-ay. ||4||17||

Then, the night of one's life passes in peace and natural ease. ||4||17||

Awsw mhlw 5 ] (375-12)

aasaa mehlaa 5.

Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:

kir ikrpw hir prgtI AwieAw ] (375-12, Awsw, mÚ 5)

kar kirpaa har pargatee aa-i-aa.

Showing His Mercy, the Lord has revealed Himself to me.

imil siqgur Dnu pUrw pwieAw ]1] (375-13, Awsw, mÚ 5)

mil satgur Dhan pooraa paa-i-aa. ||1||

Meeting the True Guru, I have received the perfect wealth. ||1||

AYsw hir Dnu sMcIAY BweI ] (375-13, Awsw, mÚ 5)

aisaa har Dhan sanchee-ai bhaa-ee.

Gather such a wealth of the Lord, O Siblings of Destiny.

Bwih n jwlY jil nhI fUbY sMgu Coif kir kqhu n jweI ]1] rhwau ] (375-13, Awsw, mÚ 5)

bhaahi na jaalai jal nahee doobai sang chhod kar katahu na jaa-ee. ||1|| rahaa-o.

It cannot be burned by fire, and water cannot drown it; it does not forsake society, or go anywhere else. ||1||Pause||

qoit n AwvY inKuit n jwie ] (375-14, Awsw, mÚ 5)

tot na aavai nikhut na jaa-ay.

It does not run short, and it does not run out.

Kwie Kric mnu rihAw AGwie ]2] (375-15, Awsw, mÚ 5)

khaa-ay kharach man rahi-aa aghaa-ay. ||2||

Eating and consuming it, the mind remains satisfied. ||2||

so scu swhu ijsu Gir hir Dnu sMcwxw ] (375-15, Awsw, mÚ 5)

so sach saahu jis ghar har Dhan sanchaanaa.

He is the true banker, who gathers the wealth of the Lord within his own home.

iesu Dn qy sBu jgu vrswxw ]3] (375-15, Awsw, mÚ 5)

is Dhan tay sabh jag varsaanaa. ||3||

With this wealth, the whole world profits. ||3||

iqin hir Dnu pwieAw ijsu purb ilKy kw lhxw ] (375-16, Awsw, mÚ 5)

tin har Dhan paa-i-aa jis purab likhay kaa lahnaa.

He alone receives the Lord's wealth, who is pre-ordained to receive it.

jn nwnk AMiq vwr nwmu ghxw ]4]18] (375-16, Awsw, mÚ 5)

jan naanak ant vaar naam gahnaa. ||4||18||

O servant Nanak, at that very last moment, the Naam shall be your only decoration. ||4||18||

Awsw mhlw 5 ] (375-17)

aasaa mehlaa 5.

Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:

jYsy ikrswxu bovY ikrswnI ] (375-17, Awsw, mÚ 5)

jaisay kirsaan bovai kirsaanee.

Just like the farmer, He plants His crop,

kwcI pwkI bwiF prwnI ]1] (375-17, Awsw, mÚ 5)

kaachee paakee baadh paraanee. ||1||

and, whether it is ripe or unripe, He cuts it down. ||1||

jo jnmY so jwnhu mUAw ] (375-17, Awsw, mÚ 5)

jo janmai so jaanhu moo-aa.

Just so, you must know this well, that whoever is born, shall die.

goivMd Bgqu AsiQru hY QIAw ]1] rhwau ] (375-18, Awsw, mÚ 5)

govind bhagat asthir hai thee-aa. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Only the devotee of the Lord of the Universe becomes stable and permanent. ||1||Pause||

idn qy srpr pausI rwiq ] (375-18, Awsw, mÚ 5)

din tay sarpar pa-usee raat.

The day shall certainly be followed by the night.

rYix geI iPir hoie prBwiq ]2] (375-19, Awsw, mÚ 5)

rain ga-ee fir ho-ay parbhaat. ||2||

And when the night passes, the morning shall again dawn. ||2||

mwieAw moih soie rhy ABwgy ] (375-19, Awsw, mÚ 5)

maa-i-aa mohi so-ay rahay abhaagay.

In the love of Maya, the unfortunate ones remain in sleep.

gur pRswid ko ivrlw jwgy ]3] (375-19, Awsw, mÚ 5)

gur parsaad ko virlaa jaagay. ||3||

By Guru's Grace, a rare few remain awake and aware. ||3||

and also it does say that:

Bgiq BMfwr gurbwxI lwl ] (376-14, Awsw, mÚ 5)

bhagat bhandaar gurbaanee laal.

Gurbani is the jewel, the treasure of devotion.

which you have said it slightly different way, and this conclude it:

Its the "NAAM" we take and not the colour.

The view of the website not the Gurbani:

The Four Colours of the Khalsa

Blue, Black, White and Saffron

These four colours are to be worn. Other colours excite the mind and lure it to vices, and are therefore prohibited. Amritdhari Singhs/Singhni’s are specifically not to wear red or green at anytime. One is to dress humbly, any simple colours can be worn. Amritdhari women are not to wear ear rings, nose-rings, rings, bangles, nail polish, lipstick, bindi, henna, keeping long nails, wearing a saree etc. Piercing of any kind is prohibited.

However Veera, I bow down to the gurbani:

"The Code of Conduct of Satguru ji is that one is not to pierce their ears or nose."

But no wear as yet still says anything about colour.

However again veera:

The Turban is such a crucial article of faith that many Sikhs consider it to be more important that all the other Ks. Turbans may be of any colour, and is tied in many different ways and styles.

Normally older people tend to wear white turbans thus reflecting their aquired wisdom. Safron and deep blue are the colours of battle. In modern society, the colour of the turban is irrelevent.

Fateh veer ji.

Thats gurbani??????????? or from a Rehatnama pothi

So where did they get there views???????(a.e where did they get the info to get that conclusion??????? Rehatnamas are gurbani or hukamnamas????????

Thats gurbani??????????? or from a Rehatnama pothi

So where did they get there views???????(a.e where did they get the info to get that conclusion??????? Rehatnamas are gurbani or hukamnamas????????

Search me Veer ji, all i can say is this:

Looking at history, tells us that the colours of turbans i.e. for battle etc, this is where everyone get the idea from, just like the idea of the word "jhutka" came from hindus and people who like eating meat and have adopted it in "Sikhi"

I understand there is Rehat, but the colour doesnt have any significant.