Color Of Dastaar...does That Matter?

Guest s133k_s1kh

lol, nah i werent upset i was jus wandering why u were gettin angry or vexd jus because my point of view was different, but ye its ok :D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest s133k_s1kh

lol, nah i werent upset i was jus wandering why u were gettin angry or vexd jus because my point of view was different, but ye its ok :D

FATEH!!!

But i wasn't angry :s why would you think that in the first place ? and yeh I have never tried a PINK DASTAAR ... I'll do that too :D Joking :s

GUR FATEH!!

lol ye u know what i think u shuld try it, lol where a pink shirt too :D lol wikdd:P

fatehjee

Guest s133k_s1kh

lol ye u know what i think u shuld try it, lol where a pink shirt too :D lol wikdd:P

fatehjee

I'll do that and send you a picture :D . and i guess we shouldn't talk this stuff here, its a bit off-topic.

GUR FATEH!!

A very good topic by my brother. I actually wanted to make a topic like this when I saw in the other thread that RED should not be worn.

Okay, first of all you can wear any colour you want, and it is up to the INDIVIDUAL to decide which colour he/she would like to wear for the day. Now, I still fail to realize why everyone is saying red and green should not be worn? No one has came up with a solid point, everyone is saying this and that, but nobody has strictly said why?

I personally do not see why we are making a big deal out of colours, what is next are we going to say? Oh, you tie a turban to big or too small. You should not be wearing a peak style turban, or african style turban, etc. rolleyes.gif

Come on people, its' the TURBAN AND KESH that matter not the colour, YES a Khalsa should dress simple, but does that mean he should start following these pathetic made up rules by us?

In conclusion, people wear which ever colour you want. In Punjab, people wear any colour they want, my cousin wear Pink, Maroon, Baby Blue, etc..I would too if I had them.

But like I have said a million times I only switch around with Yellow, Black, Orange & Blue because that is how I feel comfortable, if someone wants to wear BEIGE than you the man. :TH:

A very good topic by my brother. I actually wanted to make a topic like this when I saw in the other thread that RED should not be worn.

Okay, first of all you can wear any colour you want, and it is up to the INDIVIDUAL to decide which colour he/she would like to wear for the day. Now, I still fail to realize why everyone is saying red and green should not be worn? No one has came up with a solid point, everyone is saying this and that, but nobody has strictly said why?

I personally do not see why we are making a big deal out of colours, what is next are we going to say? Oh, you tie a turban to big or too small. You should not be wearing a peak style turban, or african style turban, etc. rolleyes.gif

Come on people, its' the TURBAN AND KESH that matter not the colour, YES a Khalsa should dress simple, but does that mean he should start following these pathetic made up rules by us?

In conclusion, people wear which ever colour you want. In Punjab, people wear any colour they want, my cousin wear Pink, Maroon, Baby Blue, etc..I would too if I had them.

But like I have said a million times I only switch around with Yellow, Black, Orange & Blue because that is how I feel comfortable, if someone wants to wear BEIGE than you the man. :TH:

I agree with everything said here...I think- as i've said before people don't usually wear Red because it's more closely associated with Hinduism plus...it dont go with much does it? lol and green cos its more closely associated with Islam..see most Islamic Country flags etc. but i dont think its that big a deal...like 'Singh with Dunalli" said..Its all about the TURBAN and KESH what's the deal with colour?

As I have said in my post in the fun section, I work for a large UK corporate company and have to wear business attire and just like everbody co-ordinates the colour of their clothing, I also coordinate mine. It also shows others that. It is also a good ice breaker and gets people asking me about my dastaar. Obviouly I wouldnt wear very bright colours to work, just diffrent shades of pastel and maybe blue, grey, brown, maroon or dark green.

But I dont have any hangups as to the colour, the imporatnt thing is that its a dastaar (mine is patiala shahi to be exact). I am proud of my dastaar and I recieve a lot of positive comments. I stand out from the other workers as I am a sikh and also I stand out from most the sikhs in my company (who all wear black).

Colours tend to have more of a cultural significance than a religious one

RED - colour of joy especially worn when one gets married

WHITE - purity (but also worn during mourning)

BLUE - widely accepted as a fundamental khalsa colour

ORANGE - puratan colour but post '84 associated as a colour of resistance and fighting oppresion

BLACK - came into prominence after the Jaito Morcha (1924), when the akali dal requested everybody wear black to mourn the shaheeds and show the british raj in india that the panth is united

I have seen this trend that we are putting up so many restrictions that the colour of the dastaar will determine my level of sikhi.

Let me ask, if you spend time choosing the clothes you wear then why cant the dastaaar be seen as such (I know that its a crown, so dont need a lecture on that). surely you dont always dress in the four khalsa colours all the time.

If red and green is seen as a distracting colour then I'm sorry but you must be very easily distracted (orange is only slightly less bright than red so why cant we use the same argument for that). If red is seen as a lustful colur then, when you go to a wedding and you see the bride in that colour does that awaken bad thoughts in your mind, or if green is forbidden then why has God created nature with the same colour.

Dont get too hung up on colours, I can see the next debate and that will be whether to tie a beard on not and then whether we use almond oil or baby oil for our kesh.