Kakkar Issue

Guest Glasgow Singh

Guest Glasgow Singh

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, weaheguru ji ki fateh!!

just started a new job as a tele sales advisor in a call centre and after wearing a kirpan at my induction day, i was informed today that personnel office had contacted the branch and told them that i wasnt allowed to wear a kirpan as it didnt apply to company dress policiy - instead im "allowed" to wear: and i quote " some sort of thing around your neck"

lol its not the managers fault - he apologised for his ignorance - and i explained to him politely that this was a common misconception, and that personnel were wrong. So he has now goto go contact them again..

i know i AM allowed a kirpan according to uk law (criminal justice act 1988) but does anybody know if theres a maximum limit to the length?

i only skim read the Act so never really went into depth.

Thanks

Daas

Waheguru ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

I was talking to this chardi kalaa nihung singh on my way back from Sri Hemkunt Sahib, and he had alot of insight about the past/future of the Khalsa, and he was holding a nice astar (throwing weapon) so we started talking about shastars and he said that our kakaars are the bare minimum we have to have them, but one MUST be shastardhaari in terms of other shastars, he named alot that come in many sizes and shapes, gupt and non-gupt, for example your kare, you can wear big sarbloh kare on both hands and when needed you can use it as a shastar, another singh in Hazoor Sahib said the same thing, kakaars are meant for practical reasons and are more of a symbol as well, but I think in your case you might wanna do some search on SS because I remember there was something daas posted about kirpans in the UK, so you can wear a small sized kirpan and have a nice gupt shastar underneath. Bhul chuk muaf.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, weaheguru ji ki fateh!!

just started a new job and after wearing a kirpan at my induction day, i was informed today that personnel office had contacted the branch and told them that i wasnt allowed to wear a kirpan as it didnt apply to company dress policiy - instead im "allowed" to wear: and i quote " some sort of thing around your neck"

lol its not the managers fault - he apologised for his ignorance - and i explained to him politely that this was a common misconception, and that personnel were wrong. So he has now goto go contact them again..

i know i AM allowed a kirpan according to uk law (criminal justice act 1988) but does anybody know if theres a maximum limit to the length?

i only skim read the Act so never really went into depth.

Thanks

Daas

Waheguru ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

Singh, Guru Gobind Singh ji will in no doubt no what you going through, however why dont you just wear a small one, you dont have to wear a big massive kirpan. just a very small one wud do, keep it gupt inside your clothes dont advertise it.

Guest gurpreet_singh101

Singh, Guru Gobind Singh ji will in no doubt no what you going through, however why dont you just wear a small one, you dont have to wear a big massive kirpan. just a very small one wud do, keep it gupt inside your clothes dont advertise it.

y can't u wear big kakkar there a gift from guru sahib, we be should of proud them, i'd said were a 9 inch minimum

y can't u wear big kakkar there a gift from guru sahib, we be should of proud them, i'd said were a 9 inch minimum

as long as u wearing a kirpan of any size, does it really matter about the size, still be proud. Remember "Hankar" can overtake you too!

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

When I go to work I have to wear my Kirpan under all my clothes because I build houses and I cant have it get caught up etc. So I have to be careful with my Kara also because I know a guy who wore a ring and he slid off the roof and his ring got caught and it ripped the skin right off of his finger along with the ring. Its not that I cant wear them, but my actual safety with them, as I am managing myself :D I just hate getting a turban dirty (saw dust is impossible to get around) So I have lots of work turbans that I always have to wash like shirts etc cause Im not gonna buy 12 work turbans :D

Just wear a neath-Kirpan or then you have a good court case or a kewl settlement. :s

When I go to work I have to wear my Kirpan under all my clothes because I build houses and I cant have it get caught up etc. So I have to be careful with my Kara also because I know a guy who wore a ring and he slid off the roof and his ring got caught and it ripped the skin right off of his finger along with the ring. Its not that I cant wear them, but my actual safety with them, as I am managing myself :D I just hate getting a turban dirty (saw dust is impossible to get around) So I have lots of work turbans that I always have to wash like shirts etc cause Im not gonna buy 12 work turbans :D

Just wear a neath-Kirpan or then you have a good court case or a kewl settlement. :s

thats life for you!

Guest Glasgow Singh

Just a quick update

boss got correspondance back from HR Department. And theyve said they have many other sikhs working for them, and that they all wear a small token around their necks (i dont believe that for a minute - but im just saying what i been told) They understand the law allows me, but say that the law is open and generalised. And in the interests of health and safety of colleagues and customers (cuz obv im gna use shastar vidiya on all those that dont buy a tv from me!) im not permitted to wear ANY kirpan... this is the decision, and if i still do not agree with it i can raise a formal grievance procedure - lol this is like my 3rd shift ever!!! LOL.gif what a start!!

so ive told the bos (nice guy - says he has no problems with me wearing kirpan) that ima go forward with grievance procedure...

any ideas on how to tackle this?