Sikhism

Translitration is OK too.......so an understanding of words in tanslitration is OK.

Once you know enough transliteration then when you read the Gurmukhi you undersand. I read transliteration forat least a year. ( I still will with Jaap Sahib for a while though :D ) When I read the literation then I can get Paath done quicker if I needed to, but when I read the Gurmukhi I feel like I accomplished alot within a couple years. Im still learning, and you gotta start somewhere, right? After a while I wont need the literation at all, and then I will have a slight majority of the translations (basic translation) so then I will only read from authentic Gutkas like a couple that I have.

Translitration may help some get their Paath done quicker.....but what I am tlking about is deep understand behind Bani.....breaking down the words and thoughts and motivations of the Guru's.

Why the Guru'sonly included some of the sayings by the Bhaghtas and not others?

etc etc....I could go on.

But if we are doing Paath just for the sake of it then we are no better than those Mullahs GuruNanak ridiculed when they asked him to prey with him.....they wanted to get their prayer out of the way fast.....because their mind was elsewhere...........Prayer is about relection and deep analuysis of the words that you are saying in prayer and what they mean!! :TH:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA
Translitration is OK too.......so an understanding of words in tanslitration is OK.

Once you know enough transliteration then when you read the Gurmukhi you undersand. I read transliteration forat least a year. ( I still will with Jaap Sahib for a while though :D ) When I read the literation then I can get Paath done quicker if I needed to, but when I read the Gurmukhi I feel like I accomplished alot within a couple years. Im still learning, and you gotta start somewhere, right? After a while I wont need the literation at all, and then I will have a slight majority of the translations (basic translation) so then I will only read from authentic Gutkas like a couple that I have.

Translitration may help some get their Paath done quicker.....but what I am tlking about is deep understand behind Bani.....breaking down the words and thoughts and motivations of the Guru's.

Why the Guru'sonly included some of the sayings by the Bhaghtas and not others?

etc etc....I could go on.

But if we are doing Paath just for the sake of it then we are no better than those Mullahs GuruNanak ridiculed when they asked him to prey with him.....they wanted to get their prayer out of the way fast.....because their mind was elsewhere...........Prayer is about relection and deep analuysis of the words that you are saying in prayer and what they mean!! :TH:

True to a point but I am learning, and it would take years and years to be at the level I should be at if born a Sikh. So if I read only like what you are saying then It would take literally all day just to do the morning banis, might as well other paath(sukhmani sahib,shabad hazare dasvin,reharaas,sohila,SGGS paath etc.The naad of Gurbani is what really counts. When learning english really helps or the Shabad wont stick. We must learn Gurmukhi but you cant have it mastered before you learn it. Even when able to recite like an elder doesnt mean they know exactly everything because they are also learning but at a deeper level than my level. People are discouraged from Sikhi because people act as if you have to already understand Gurbani. Prayer is prayer and paath is paath. Gurbani is also a meditation besides a prayer, Ardas is a specific prayer. My prayers are alway with full mind, my paath is somewhat in the middle of intelect mixed with contemplation. (Besides paath I was told to read less Bani and actually contemplate what I read instead of covering ground) I try to retain and in Ardas pray for the gift to retain the Shabad. English is good to a point, then comes transliteration and then Gurmukhi script. As the lowest student at the school of Sikhi I think the way my learning is laid-out is the best way for me and I encourage others to do the same. From knowing absolutely nothing about Sikhi I think I have made alot of progress. I can actually say that everything I know about Sikh has been within 2 years, Im not comparing to anybody but is there something wrong with this way????, should I know more than I do at this point??????????????????

But if we are doing Paath just for the sake of it then we are no better than those Mullahs GuruNanak ridiculed when they asked him to prey with him

This is the difference of reciting paath while not thinking of what you are doing, and reading the transliteration to be able to memorize the naad so its easier when the script is recited

Are you implying that because its quicker for me at this time to read between Gurmukhi and literation that I compare to that Sakhi??? :@ @