Patka?

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

When did the patka first come into use?????? Did the patka substitute a keski for the youth?????? Who invented the idea of the patka??? Did the Sahibzadas wear a keski or patka under their beloved turbans???

Basically, does someone know info about the patka?????

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Patka has come into use after the 60s and became popular due to Indian sportsman Bishan Singh Bedi. It was first adopted by the city-dwellers.

There is no patka in Sikh history.

To be frank, I think it looks foolish. A dastaar makes sense and looks good. A patka looks like a growth on the top of a head and lends itself to ridicule.

As Singh132 already mentioned, the patka started to become popular during the sixties, and it was called a "patiala shahi patka" as it originated in the city of patiala... best known for its fashion even till now.

Before the sixties, all boys would start wearing turbans when they were able to manage them.

Guest s133k_s1kh

:D :@ My favorite is the Polka Dots Patka <_< :@ . Beard with lots of GEL (Desi Fixo) and the Polka Dot Patka :TH: is the latest fad and interestingly it adds to the personality of the indiviual rolleyes.gif .

I prefer blue patka with white polka dots for nagar keertans :@ :cool: .

Patka after a certain age looks really pathetic, especially if you are a parent of 4 kids and still wearing a patka, that's just pathetic. But, in all seriousness, it really depends on person to person. Some people like wearing it, some don't. I would rather have a person wear a patka than not be a SINGH.

However, like many people have already said DASTAAR all the way. Patka is for sports, and acitvities you do to enhance your body. E.g. Working out, etc.

I'd say patka was the one of the signs of sikhs being drifting away fom fundamentals of the religion and who didn't want to wear turban and hence substituted with patka but hardly anyone at that time objected, then after few decades cutting of hair was common thing.I read an article dating back to 1995 where the writer had expressed concers regarding sikh boys cutting hair and being accepted easily among sikh society.

Honestly patka looks ok for kids but not for adults. Patka is an invitation to be ridiculed. I remember in punjab especially in villages youngsters used to stop wearing patkas as to show they r no longer kids and wore turbans or parnas at home or while doing sports. A grown up wearing patka would be bullied or taunted, but today public figures like harbhajan singh and monty panesar wear patkas full time.

Guest SarblohKhalsa.Net

personally i dont like the look of a patka anywayz also it dont look good on a adult, but for sports its ok i think... bc sometimes u gotta ... for example i play ice hockey and we gotta wear a patka so ma helmets fitz , so its kinda good in that way but i wouldnt wear it on a regualr basis