Akaali

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=2642

Anyone care to explain this shabad??

DMnw ]

dhha(n)naa ||

Dhannaa:

gopwl qyrw Awrqw ]

gopaal thaeraa aarathaa ||

O Lord of the world, this is Your lamp-lit worship service.

jo jn qumrI Bgiq krMqy iqn ky kwj svwrqw ]1] rhwau ]

jo jan thumaree bhagath kara(n)thae thin kae kaaj savaarathaa ||1|| rehaao ||

You are the Arranger of the affairs of those humble beings who perform Your devotional worship service. ||1||Pause||

dwil sIDw mwgau GIau ]

dhaal seedhhaa maago gheeo ||

Lentils, flour and ghee - these things, I beg of You.

hmrw KusI krY inq jIau ]

hamaraa khusee karai nith jeeo ||

My mind shall ever be pleased.

pn@IAw Cwdnu nIkw ] Anwju mgau sq sI kw ]1]

panheeaa shhaadhan neekaa || anaaj mago sath see kaa ||1||

Shoes, fine clothes, and grain of seven kinds - I beg of You. ||1||

gaU BYs mgau lwvyrI ]

goo bhais mago laavaeree ||

A milk cow, and a water buffalo, I beg of You,

iek qwjin qurI cMgyrI ]

eik thaajan thuree cha(n)gaeree ||

and a fine Turkestani horse.

Gr kI gIhin cMgI ]

ghar kee geehan cha(n)gee ||

A good wife to care for my home

jnu DMnw lyvY mMgI ]2]4]

jan dhha(n)naa laevai ma(n)gee ||2||4||

- Your humble servant Dhanna begs for these things, Lord. ||2||4||

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

i have a feeling the english translation might be misleading here. where's Papi when you need him. rolleyes.gif

why does it seem like the poet Dhanna is praying for all these worldly things?

maybe he's comparing the hindu arti-stuff to his version of arti.

hamaraa khusee karai nith jeeo ||

My mind shall ever be pleased.

that line's a puzzler. maybe he's saying that whatever Maharaj gives him, he'll be pleased.

yup, so i don't really know what i'm talking about. i was waiting for someone else to come along and explain, but no-one has :lol:.

~l~

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki fateh!

Yea, alot of english translations are misleading, because the essence of the shabad lies in gurmukhi, the english language can't capture the prabhaav of the shabad as its a totally different language with a different history, context, geography, etc. Gurmukhi, Sanskrit, Urdi, etc. are eastern languages and have a different tone/interpretation on certain things.

I just posted it as a quick reference, here's another view on it:

ਇਸ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਬਾਰੇ ਵਿਰੋਧੀ ਸੱਜਣ ਜੀ ਲਿਖਦੇ ਹਨ: ਉਕਤ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਅੰਦਰ ਭਗਤ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਤੋਂ ਗਊ, ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ, ਘੋੜੀ ਆਦਿ ਮੰਗਾਂ ਮੰਗੀਆਂ ਹਨ। ਇਸ ਕਿਸਮ ਦਾ ਇਕ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਭੀ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਹੈ। ਇਹ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਉਸੀ ਦਾ ਅਨੁਵਾਦ ਰੂਪ ਹੈ, ਪਰ ਇਹ ਸਿੱਧਾਂਤ ਗੁਰਮਤ ਸਿੱਧਾਂਤ ਦੀ ਵਿਰੋਧਤਾ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ। ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬਾਨ ਦਾ ਸਿੱਧਾਂਤ ਇਹ ਹੈ:

ਸਿਰਿ ਸਿਰਿ ਰਿਜਕੁ ਸੰਬਾਹੇ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ, ਕਾਹੇ ਮਨ ਭਉ ਕਰਿਆ ॥

ਕਾਹੇ ਰੇ ਮਨ ਚਿਤਵਹਿ ਉਦਮੁ, ਜਾ ਆਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਪਰਿਆ ॥

ਸੈਲ ਪਥਰ ਮਹਿ ਜੰਤ ਉਪਾਏ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਰਿਜਕੁ ਆਗੈ ਕਰਿ ਧਰਿਆ ॥ {ਗੂਜਰੀ ਮ: ੫}

ਅਕਾਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਅਣਮੰਗਿਆਂ ਰੋਜ਼ੀ ਦਹਿੰਦ ਹੈ। ਪਰੰਤੂ ਉੱਦਮ ਦੇ ਸਾਧਨ ਕਰਨੇ ਮਾਨੁੱਖੀ ਪਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਹੈ।

ਪਰ ਜਿਸ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦਾ ਹਵਾਲਾ ਵਿਰੋਧੀ ਸੱਜਣ ਜੀ ਨੇ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਵਿਚ ਤਾਂ ਰੋਜ਼ੀ ਦੇ ਤੌਖ਼ਲੇ ਕਰਨ ਵੱਲੋਂ ਰੋਕਿਆ ਹੈ। ਇਹ ਤਾਂ ਕਿਤੇ ਭੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਿਹਾ ਗਿਆ ਕਿ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੋਂ ਮੰਗਣਾ ਕੁਝ ਭੀ ਨਹੀਂ। ਇਹ ਤਾਂ ਠੀਕ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਉਹ ਅਣ-ਮੰਗਿਆ ਦਾਨ ਦੇਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਪਰ ਫਿਰ ਭੀ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੋਂ ਦੁਨੀਆਵੀ ਚੀਜ਼ਾਂ ਮੰਗਣ ਦੀ ਮਨਾਹੀ ਕਿਤੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਕੀਤੀ ਗਈ। ਸਗੋਂ ਅਨੇਕਾਂ ਐਸੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਮਿਲਦੇ ਹਨ, ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੀ ਰਾਹੀਂ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੋਂ ਦੁਨੀਆਵੀ ਮੰਗਾਂ ਭੀ ਮੰਗੀਆਂ ਗਈਆਂ ਹਨ। ਹਾਂ, ਇਹ ਹੁਕਮ ਕੀਤਾ ਗਿਆ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਦਾਤਾਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ ਕਿਸੇ ਹੋਰ ਦੇ ਦਰ ਤੋਂ ਨਾਹ ਮੰਗੋ।

"ਮਾਂਗਉ ਰਾਮ ਤੇ ਸਭਿ ਥੋਕ ॥

ਮਾਨੁਖ ਕਉ ਜਾਚਤ ਸ੍ਰਮੁ ਪਾਈਐ, ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੈ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਮੋਖ ॥ਰਹਾਉ।੫੦॥" {ਧਨਾਸਰੀ ਮ: ੫

"ਮੈ ਤਾਣੁ ਦੀਬਾਣੁ ਤੂ ਹੈ ਮੇਰੇ ਸੁਆਮੀ, ਮੈ ਤੁਧੁ ਆਗੈ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ॥

ਮੈ ਹੋਰੁ ਥਾਉ ਨਾਹੀ ਜਿਸੁ ਪਹਿ ਕਰਉ ਬੇਨੰਤੀ, ਮੇਰਾ ਦੁਖੁ ਸੁਖੁ ਤੁਧ ਹੀ ਪਾਸਿ ॥੨॥੧॥੧੨॥" {ਸੂਹੀ ਮ: ੪

ਸਿੱਖ ਦੀ ਸਰਧਾ ਤਾਂ ਇਹ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦਾ ਹਰੇਕ ਕਾਰ-ਵਿਹਾਰ ਸ਼ੁਰੂ ਕਰਨ ਲੱਗਿਆਂ ਉਸ ਦੀ ਸਫਲਤਾ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ-ਦਰ ਤੇ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਕਰਨੀ ਹੈ। ਸਿੱਖ ਵਿਦਿਆਰਥੀ ਇਮਤਿਹਾਨ ਦੇਣ ਜਾ ਰਿਹਾ ਹੈ, ਤੁਰਨ ਲੱਗਿਆਂ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਕਰੇ। ਸਿੱਖ ਸਫ਼ਰ ਵਿਚ ਚੱਲਿਆ ਹੈ, ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਕਰ ਕੇ ਤੁਰੇ। ਸਿੱਖ ਆਪਣਾ ਰਿਹਾਇਸ਼ੀ ਮਕਾਨ ਬਣਵਾਣ ਲੱਗਾ ਹੈ, ਨੀਂਹ ਰੱਖਣ ਵੇਲੇ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਕਰੇ। ਹਰੇਕ ਦੁਖੁ ਸੁਖ ਵੇਲੇ ਸਿੱਖ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਕਰੇ। ਜਦੋਂ ਕੋਈ ਰੋਗ ਆਦਿਕ ਬਿਪਤਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਮਿਹਰ ਨਾਲ ਦੂਰ ਹੁੰਦੀ ਹੈ, ਤਦੋਂ ਭੀ ਸਿੱਖ ਸ਼ੁਕਰਾਨੇ ਵਜੋਂ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਕਰੇ। ਕੀ ਇਹ ਸਾਰਾ ਉੱਦਮ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਦੇ ਵਿਰੁੱਧ ਹੈ? ਬਾਣੀ ਵਿਚ ਹੁਕਮ ਤਾਂ ਇਹੀ ਹੈ:

ਕੀਤਾ ਲੋੜੀਐ ਕੰਮੁ, ਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਪਹਿ ਆਖੀਐ ॥

ਕਾਰਜੁ ਦੇਇ ਸਵਾਰਿ, ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਚੁ ਸਾਖੀਐ ॥੨੦॥

I wish I had more time to translate the above, but its basically saying that in bani, guru sahib doesn't say its ABSOLUTELY WRONG to ask for anything from Akaal purkh, whenever we are going to undertake a new aspect of life (career, school, family, etc.) we do ardaas in front of maharaaj and that is a form of asking as well, to support us in our cause, we also ask for forgiveness in ardaas and be thankful in ardaas. My two cents.

why does it seem like the poet Dhanna is praying for all these worldly things?

why can't we ask for wordly things, afterall we do need them. if we can't ask for such from our guru then where else would be go for them. the essence of the shabad is ALWAYS in the rahao vaali panktee.

gopwl qyrw Awrqw ]

jo jn qumrI Bgiq krMqy iqn ky kwj svwrqw ]1] rhwau ]

specifically, the 2nd line, whoever does loving devotional worship of the guru will have their affairs solved for good, both in this world and after. read the shabad again, bhagat dhanna is only asking for things he needs to live, not more than what he needs. i think thats the key.

bhul chuk maaf, guru rakha.

Most of the Bhagats pre-date Guru Nanak so they weren't what we now call Sikh. However, they all had very unique Saintly qualities that a Sikh should develop. Bhagat Dhanna was a very innocent Bhagat - he spoke very plainly which is reflected in Gurbani.

From http://rajkaregakhalsa.net/khalsa/bhagatdhanna.htm :

Dhanna expresses his unbounded faith in God with the help of some examples. He tells us that God is omniscient. He brings up the smallest insects even inside the rocks. He provides nourishment to the embryo in the mother's womb. Whatsoever happens in this universe is in His will. Man should, therefore, have no fear. He must have love for and awe of God. He is our nourisher, our Patron Father. That is why Dhanna offers prayer (aarti) in eulogy of the Lord and at the same time requests Him that a householder has numerous needs to be fulfilled ; he prays to God for the fulfilment of these needs. He demands a house to live in, a wife to perpetuate the lineage, a mare of good breed to ride on, and pulses, ghee, flour, salt, pepper, etc. to fill one's belly. A hymn by Dhanna under Dhanasari measure on this subject reads as under:

Lord! Thy servant am I in affliction.

Those that to Thee are devoted,

Thou their objectives dost fulfil (Pause)

I beg for lentils, flour and some ghee,

Whereby may my heart be delighted.

Seek I also shoes and good clothing,

And grain grown over well-ploughed Land.

A cow and a buffalo in milk I seek,

As also a good Arab mare.

Thy Servant Dhanna then begs also for a wife,

a good house keeper. SGGS-695

No man of God other than Dhanna or Kabir has ever supplicated to God with such emphasis for the fulfilment of his material needs. They are fully justified in saying that one can't concentrate on God with empty stomach because the fire of hunger adversely affects both the body and soul. In case one feels unable to satiate one's hunger with food morning and evening even after a day of hard labour, Kabir in such a situation is prepared even to give back to God the rosary he uses for remembrance of His Name.

The Aarti eulogises love for the Lord - in this Shabad Bhagat Dhanna explains in order to repeat Naam any person no matter how holy still needs tandrosthi (well-being). Gurbani explains time and time again to repeat the Lord's Name in our youth because we may not be able to in old age when our body will be weak, our memory forgetful and our energy drained.

Just like the Sikhs today, Bhagat Dhanna didn't just do Bhagti but lived the life of a householder. Since we live in the world and not as ascetics doing bhakti in remote areas we are surrounded with worldly affairs. Bhagat Dhanna isn't asking for rubies or riches - just the basic necessities for a householder to have tandrosthi to repeat His Name. Food (Lentils, flour and ghee), clothes, a cow for milk, a buffalo to help in farming, a horse for transport, a wife and home. A householder especially in those days was responsible for his wife and generations of family i'm suprised he asked for so little!

Such basic necessities, if lacking, creates distraction from a householder's meditation. This wasn't just anyone this was a Bhagat who had a very straightforward relationship with the Lord who was compelled to grant him these basic necessities in the same way He was compelled to manifest Himself when Bhagat ji refused to eat.

various bhagats have a certain theme in their bani

for example, bhagat kabir is notorious for talking against meaningless rituals, fighting with the bhrahmins at the time in benaras.

bhagat farid has a lot of bairaag in his bani. he's always talking about the falseness of this world, falsness of relatives, falseness of this body

• 1 month later...

THe meaning of the shabad is explained nicely within this shabad....

rwgu soriT ]

BUKy Bgiq n kIjY ]

Xh mwlw ApnI lIjY ]

hau mWgau sMqn rynw ]

mY nwhI iksI kw dynw ]1]

mwDo kYsI bnY qum sMgy ]

Awip n dyhu q lyvau mMgy ] rhwau ]

duie syr mWgau cUnw ]

pwau GIau sMig lUnw ]

AD syru mWgau dwly ]

mo kau donau vKq ijvwly ]2]

Kwt mWgau caupweI ]

isrhwnw Avr qulweI ]

aUpr kau mWgau KINDw ]

qyrI Bgiq krY jnu Q^ØIDw ]3]

mY nwhI kIqw lbo ]

ieku nwau qyrw mY Pbo ]

kih kbIr mnu mwinAw ]

mnu mwinAw qau hir jwinAw ]4]11]

But i dunno how to post in gurmukhi, so i guess u can copy this to word or something and change the font there

rwgu soriT ]

raag sorat(h) ||

Raag Sorat'h:

BUKy Bgiq n kIjY ]

bhookhae bhagath n keejai ||

I am so hungry, I cannot perform devotional worship service.

Xh mwlw ApnI lIjY ]

yeh maalaa apanee leejai ||

Here, Lord, take back Your mala.

hau mWgau sMqn rynw ]

ho maa(n)go sa(n)than raenaa ||

I beg for the dust of the feet of the Saints.

mY nwhI iksI kw dynw ]1]

mai naahee kisee kaa dhaenaa ||1||

I do not owe anyone anything. ||1||

mwDo kYsI bnY qum sMgy ]

maadhho kaisee banai thum sa(n)gae ||

O Lord, how can I be with You?

Awip n dyhu q lyvau mMgy ] rhwau ]

aap n dhaehu th laevo ma(n)gae || rehaao ||

If You do not give me Yourself, then I shall beg until I get You. ||Pause||

duie syr mWgau cUnw ]

dhue saer maa(n)go choonaa ||

I ask for two kilos of flour,

pwau GIau sMig lUnw ]

paao gheeo sa(n)g loonaa ||

and half a pound of ghee, and salt.

AD syru mWgau dwly ]

adhh saer maa(n)go dhaalae ||

I ask for a pound of beans,

mo kau donau vKq ijvwly ]2]

mo ko dhono vakhath jivaalae ||2||

which I shall eat twice a day. ||2||

Kwt mWgau caupweI ]

khaatt maa(n)go choupaaee ||

I ask for a cot, with four legs,

isrhwnw Avr qulweI ]

sirehaanaa avar thulaaee ||

and a pillow and mattress.

aUpr kau mWgau KINDw ]

oopar ko maa(n)go khee(n)adhhaa ||

I ask for a quit to cover myself.

qyrI Bgiq krY jnu QNØIDw ]3]

thaeree bhagath karai jan thha(n)aeedhhaa ||3||

Your humble servant shall perform Your devotional worship service with love. ||3||

mY nwhI kIqw lbo ]

mai naahee keethaa labo ||

I have no greed;

ieku nwau qyrw mY Pbo ]

eik naao thaeraa mai fabo ||

Your Name is the only ornament I wish for.

kih kbIr mnu mwinAw ]

kehi kabeer man maaniaa ||

Says Kabeer, my mind is pleased and appeased;

mnu mwinAw qau hir jwinAw ]4]11]

man maaniaa tho har jaaniaa ||4||11||

now that my mind is pleased and appeased, I have come to know the Lord. ||4||11||