9/11

davindervirk

fateh!

i do knew a couple of sikhs shave there hair off for this incident....i would say yes...but know more and more sikhs are realizing and asking why should be we be scared...i personally think why to be scared if guru ji is watching our every step...but there still are sikhs out there today who still does this

GurFateh

I think I'm the first American to reply to this..well alright.

One thing to be understood is that unlike the UK and Candada, Sikhs are not well known, nor do they have any sort of presence in America. They're just some Asians to the general public.

After 9/11, however, due to a huge influence of the media and a lack of influence by the American Khalsa, Sikhs were seen as something different - extremist Muslims, Taliban, members of Al-Qaeda, etc. We were no longer just a minority - we were a target. Especially since Sikhs were getting arrested left and right for their sarup, and the Balbir Singh Sodhi incident, Sikhs were taken back in time to the 18th century - they were no longer considered a friend in their homeland.

I think this was a test of Akal Purakh, to see what we would do under the worst circumstances. Many Sikhs took off their dastars and traded them in for a haircut or a hatr. But other Sikhs wore their sarup proudly, to show Americans and the government especially that we are not a threat, and that we aren't going anywhere.

9/11 was the spark that gave so many Sikhs the boost to go out and spread awareness about Sikhi and about Sikhs living in America. Organizations such as SALDEF, Sikh Coalition, SCORE (previously SMART) and United Sikhs took to the streets, the courthouses, and the House of Congress to make sure that Sikhs were no longer a shadow in the greater American picture.

I think it's going slowly, but we are making better efforts to make ourselves known to the US as a peaceful sort of people. We've been here since 1898, ever since the first Sikh landing in California; we've helped shaped what t he US is today. Tts our country just as much as anyone else's.

My question is do you think after 9/11 most Sikhs are afraid to wear a turban in the western countries?

I dont need to write an essay, a simple answer is 'NO I AM NOT AFRAID OF WEARING MY TURBAN'

Many sikhs has given their life over not loosing their faith in the past, why should this incident make us stop loosing our faith!

I am actually proud of my identity!