Foundation Stone Ceremony Sunday 4th Feb 10am

Because Smethwick have a nice big gurdwara, Soho Road is a really big gurdwara with a fancy glass building on the side, bebe ke are making a really cool castle type fort building. If Bebe Nanaki didnt make a new building to compete then no one would go there.

If only they would invest their money into soemthing that helps society, put that money into classes for children, money towards charitys and funds. But no, these commitee members only care about architectural races.

Because Smethwick have a nice big gurdwara, Soho Road is a really big gurdwara with a fancy glass building on the side, bebe ke are making a really cool castle type fort building. If Bebe Nanaki didnt make a new building to compete then no one would go there.

If only they would invest their money into soemthing that helps society, put that money into classes for children, money towards charitys and funds. But no, these commitee members only care about architectural races.

Whatever.

The world goes on... things are changing SO fast in todays day and age. Its hard to keep up with gristti. Fact of the matter is... change happens all around us. Man does not live forever. Animals dont live forever. Plants dont live forever. Heck there arent many things that dont turn into dust. The Guru ghar in question here seems to be quite old and the sangat seems to be growing ever more - those who have been to the rehansbhais there will see what i mean. So a new Gurdwara building is not a bad thing. Besides, i believe every Guru Ghar should be built from scratch anyway rat her than converting old buildings. And new buildings should BE palaces. Palaces fit for a King. And dont tell me u will never move house in ure life Mr Gurbar Akaal. If we can move to bigger and better houses as income comes in... then why cant our Guru have the same treatment? Our Guru is not asking to be moved but if the sangat wishes to build a palace for their King from start... who are you to put your hoof in?

Do u have the blueprints for the Gurdwara? I know the classes etc that Gurdwara and the organisation run and i think its very good and absolutely brilliant. I think a new Gurdwara the way they want it will be ideal for better classes etc. As for charity... lol, u dont really know the "Bebe Nanaki" jatha very well at all my friend.

Forgive my mistakes. I am not affiliated with the jatha in any way however when one says wrong things, another must put right.

• 2 weeks later...

Fateh Ji,

My friends, it is often too easy to criticise on whether (as sikhs) should we concentrate on collecting money for charity work (looking after the less wealthy, poor and people in need of help, sending money aboard for eye camps, housing.....etc the list is endless) or looking after our Gurdwara's.

Generally in England, extending and or redeveloping Gurdwara's has almost become a fashion statement and there is often a tendancy in us asians to copy each other because our next door neighbours got a bentley then we must also have it or my Gurdwara is better than yours. Some committees don't realy understand what they want or lack direction and tend to develop marvilous schemes for which they don't mind paying architects and engineers up to £ 100,000.00 all because they want to make a name for themsleves. Because of the hiden agenda's too often such schemes end up going pear shape and because we live in the blame culture them and us situation prevail.

I firmly believe that each Gurdwara sahib should be unique - in design, layout, characteristic, treatment to the exterior and the interior..etc, and we all should stop copying each others building style.

I am sure that those of you who know about Bibi Ji Balwant Kaur and the Bebe Nanaki Gurdwara Sahib Ji, Bibi ji has devoted her entire life in serving Guru sahib ji in sewa, simran and kirtan and she has directed by Guru Ji discover Bebe Nanaki Ji's house in Sultanpur (and to build a Gurdwara in memory of Bebe Nanaki Ji where eye camps have been held twice yearly, marriages for the less fortunate are performed and couples given essentail gifts to equipe themsleves for the challenages that lie ahead, accommodation is provided), to establish Mata Nanaki Hospital an Andhpur Sahib (free operations and treatment), Bibi Ji's sewa to the sikh panth and the nation has a whole can not be described or measured only Guru Ji knows.

Returning to the main question I would like to start a serious debate with all readers on you views as to what should our Gurdwara's focuss on? should be improve buildings? or start to engaging with youths - and what level - what should committess do? what do you expect from the Gurdwara?

WJKK, WJKF