Sikh School Teachers

amankaur

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Just something to think about....

Today i was in my human resources seminar we where discussing equality and diversity stuff like discrimination n stuff and i told them about an incident my mates mate had to face at odeon cinema in london they where asked to leave cus he was wearing a kirpan n they said its not safe.

Well anyways then question was, was it discrimination and some also said or is it lack of education and knowledge? When i use to be in school all i ever learnt was christianity and islamic and then i just as a joke said i should become a sikhi school teacher.

Iv been thinking about it though i feel we need singhs n singhnias to become school teachers at school levels to educate youngsters about sikhi and what it really is as half population havent a clue hunna! As we all are aware of whats going on around us and sikhi isnt being portrayed very well about time we did something about it.

Whats the sangats views on this?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Gurfateh!!

I know quite a few Amritdhari teachers in Birmingham, however i don't think students in bham actually struggle to identify Sikhs, but the awareness is good as many people in school do just assume that Sikhs are in the bracket of asians who love to drink and have sessions for example.

Go for it if thats what you want to do and spead awareness, i can perhaps give you info of tjose teachers so you can speak to them and see how they feel about Sikhi and their jobs!!! :TH:

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!

vaheguruji ka khalsa vaheguruji ki fateh

first step wud be sort out the curriculum... the teaching of Sikhism hardly comes up.... particualrly at primary level... ideally some of us Sikh teachers need to get together n rewrite that aspect of the curriculum (hands up....whose with me?!) and then address the reason why some schools think thats its okay for some children.... forgive me.... mainly children from the Islamic faith to be withdrawn from RE lessons.... thus most of these children leave primary school completely oblivious to other faiths n beliefs....forgive me for venting but the system needs work...then again i suppose u have to be in it to change it.... grin.gif

dust of ur sweet charan

first step wud be sort out the curriculum... the teaching of Sikhism hardly comes up.... particualrly at primary level... ideally some of us Sikh teachers need to get together n rewrite that aspect of the curriculum (hands up....whose with me?!) and then address the reason why some schools think thats its okay for some children.... forgive me.... mainly children from the Islamic faith to be withdrawn from RE lessons.... thus most of these children leave primary school completely oblivious to other faiths n beliefs....forgive me for venting but the system needs work...then again i suppose u have to be in it to change it.... grin.gif

dust of ur sweet charan

depends what school you go to, we done it to death at primary and secondary school probably because i went to punjabi majority schools :)

there are several Sikh teachers in canada.. and some that are well on their way to becomin teachers... one'a the profs at my college, is and Amritdhari singh, who wears full bana to school... but nobody says nuttin to him because he has that confidence and ora around him... he's completely comfortable, and everybody around is comfortable... it cud quite possibly be cause the people are educated about it...

buh if da's sumtin yuh waan do... dun let nuttin stop you... wear ur kakkars wit pride and honour, and nuttin shud keep yuh down..

Chardi Kalaa!!

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

curriculum hmmm lol yea it could be in the curriculum and everyone will be up for it..but which one? the one that only gets written and approved by everyone or the one that is actually taught :umm:

if u know what i mean?

school system is also goin through so many changes...its creating problem within the school staff. where are they gonna get the teachers or even the other staff(admins and principals; head masters as u uk peeps would call um)

however...teachers do have many resources available to them to implementing sikhi in to the system easily.

but thn where ARE THEY GONNA GET TIME? lol thz another issue with todays system. there is so much to teach but mostly its just we go over it without actually teaching or learning about it. there isn't much time to teach everything that one is to teach thats in a curriculum.

darn i think im ready to be a teacher lolz i was undermining my knowledges about the system,

but the politics of schools...arrghhh....one thing that upsets me and think the only thing which kinda gets to me and make me not wanna teach yet. lets not go into the talks behind students and teachers (gossip) i mean why do they have to do that? :sady:

just like me ....some of us teachers are just sooo judgmental about others which turns lots of students from coming to school after the required age :lol:

anywho

would be nice to see teachers whom kids can relate to. it would be kool to have Singh teachers. its funny how kids like "male" teachers more thn female. :)

ahh feel much better writing all this down and knowing at least few people here understand it lol

so which areas need sikh teachers up there? or sikhi in th curriculum?

on the positive note...we have great people who really love to teach and wanna make lots of changes to the system. they make huge diffeeence in many students lives.

(im on a roll here writein so many posts in one day aight i think this owuld be my last one)

ok i think im done with my essaay LOL.gif

so how many people actually teach in schools? would be nice to have a wonderful network thing goin on :lol:

bhul chuk muaff karni

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

I'm an amritdhari teacher (albeit part-time) in a majority-white area of the country. I teach ICT at an infant and primary Catholic school where every year we teach Judaism and Sikhi for one term each in addition to our year-round teaching based on Catholicism. I am also responsible for School & community group visits to our local Gurdwara which average about 3 per month. There are relatively few problems in terms of the curriculum covering Sikhi. Every school has options to teach from the major religions of the World and will do so according to their expertise and ability to implement cross-curricular activity.

Being a teacher who happens to be a Sikh is the best form of parchaar that you can do.

Being a Sikh who happens to be a teacher is the best form of propaganda that you can do.

Make your choice :)

I don't mean that to sound as nasty as it does, but you should teach because you enjoy working with children and want to be a part of bringing-up future generations, sharing what you can. Not because you want children to recognise who a Sikh is. Once upon a time Sikhs were recognised and known for their actions and legacies. Why would we want people to recognise us for simply being there?

:lol: PS Sikhs are still known for their selflessness, compassion and universal equality. Depends on who you ask, trust and surround yourself with :lol: Rabb Rakha

At Waterloo, Ontario we have MANY Sikh teachers and educators ... the old secretary of Kitchener Gurughar is a principal at a Catholic school, one singh is a computer teacher, his singhnee is a daycare teacher, another singh from the Gurughar is a teacher as well and Waterloo is mostly "white" ... you can walk around with your Kirpan outside, bana, anything with confidence, people don't say anything, they're very polite and just wanna learn more about Sikhi :e: