Gurdwara's For The Rich Only

Guest _Jathedar_

Guest _Jathedar_

Sadh sangat ji

It has come to light that 2 Guru Ghar in East London are charging for sewa. eg if you request a booking for Guru Kee Langar dee sewa or Sri Akhand Path Sahib

then you are expected to pay a fee of £800 +

Is this what Sikhi teaches us ? I agree that Sadh Sangat should pay what is fair but £800 ? That seems extortionate to me

Let us break this down...(in my opinion what is fair)

Electric used £50

Gas used £35

Water used £30

Fee for Akhand Path dee sewa £151

Only comes out at £266. Yet Neville Road and Singh Sabha Seven Kings have set these fees. Does that mean that the Gurdwara will only be for the rich and well off ?

Will Sadh Sangat be segregated becasue of this ? Will people stop attending the Gurdwara ?

What happens in the case of an Anand Karaj ? Surely we are trying to encourage people to hold these special occasions to be held in Guru Ghar , so will they have to pay more ?

I think Sadh Sangat is being held to ransom and it is not right.

• 2 weeks later...

it is good you brought this issue up...certainly one that needs to be discussed...

however, two things...

one this does not need to be in the gupt section

two, it needs to be discussed with the committee if you want any change or results...it's a good thing you brought it up, perhaps other youth in your area and other youth on this forum can give you suggestions in how to approach the committees in a positive manner and to discuss the issues.

i would suggest that you call the secretary or whatever position they have and arrange a meeting between yourself, maybe one or two other community elders and the members of the committee and ask for clarification as to how they came up with the charge they are charging...you never know, they may have a good reason. However, if after discussing with them, you aren't fully satisfied with the reasoning, then there are other methods of discussing with the sangat...if there is an election coming soon at the gurdwara, you can force this to be one of the issues discussed, cuz people want votes, so they will be open to listening....and other ideas i'm sure the mods and admins can provide you.

i would also recommend that at all times conduct yourself in a calm, respectful manner...that will let the issues highlighted be communicated effectively.

Guest Guest

Sikhi should have only donations. Donation means you ,can afford to give, and want to give. I was going to be charged $500 dollars for akhand Path and after thinking of the "price" was shocked to see that it isnt volunteer anymore but through basically a "Sikh Labor Union" or a.k.a Corruption within the system.

this is by PRITAM SINGH KHALSA {I am never gupt}

yes its so much ................... cos they know we can afford it..

its only when people stop paying then the prices will come down...............

.............. IF U ASK THEM WHY SO MUCH ? yes they will give u a run down but the major reson for it to be so much is..

V A T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AT @ 99 % ....................................................THAT WHY ITS SO MUCH.

OH come on now guys .. we all know the real score its a buiness..

AND WE ARE TOO STUPID TO KNOW WHEN THEY ARE TAKING THE P*SS ....

JUST TO SEE WHO IS CHARGING WHAT, CAN THE SANGAT PLEASE SAY

WHICH GURUDWARA IS CHARGING WHAT SERVICE AND AT WHAT PRICE......

IT COULD BE THAT PEOPLE UP NORTH ARE PAYING LESS THAN PEOPLE DOWN SOUTH..

in london its @ £800......up in bolton its @ £5.25p...

but that could be that they dont earn that much up north / or they are poor/skint flints or even tight. (minde u know there arnt that many jobs up north, and the dole dont include extra for religious donations )

a nice list would help people decide where to hold a parth ( cheapest ---- dearest ).

I think our own neglect of Guru ghar sewa, our collective lack of ability to read/understand Gurbani and our poor understanding of Maryada has lead to the financial exploitation by committees and priests. Fact is, as a sangat most will be willing to pay the high costs because we won’t or can’t perform the sewas ourselves.

In my view, we are reaping what we sow. We could see the large financial bills as a wake up call from Maharaj, maybe we should not have this expectation that the committee or priest own Sikhi.

Sadh sangat ji

It has come to light that 2 Guru Ghar in East London are charging for sewa. eg if you request a booking for Guru Kee Langar dee sewa or Sri Akhand Path Sahib

then you are expected to pay a fee of £800 +

Is this what Sikhi teaches us ? I agree that Sadh Sangat should pay what is fair but £800 ? That seems extortionate to me

Let us break this down...(in my opinion what is fair)

Electric used £50

Gas used £35

Water used £30

Fee for Akhand Path dee sewa £151

Only comes out at £266. Yet Neville Road and Singh Sabha Seven Kings have set these fees. Does that mean that the Gurdwara will only be for the rich and well off ?

Will Sadh Sangat be segregated becasue of this ? Will people stop attending the Gurdwara ?

What happens in the case of an Anand Karaj ? Surely we are trying to encourage people to hold these special occasions to be held in Guru Ghar , so will they have to pay more ?

I think Sadh Sangat is being held to ransom and it is not right.

IK ONG KAR SATGUR PARSAD!

Everything that is going around is seemingly not a by product of Sikhi.

Sikhi is a code of conduct that is second to none! That is how it was meant to be originally as specified by our Gurus from time to time!

This is just one of the many examples of what the political minded and powerful people are doing to twist everything to their convenience.

I suggest that this be taken ahead and SERIOUSLY so that every one has an equal access to the Guru Ghar.

The priests need to be reminded of their maryada too. In case there is any shortage of funds, the management committee of the concerned Gurudwara can meet and decide on righteous ways of collecting funds to run the Gurudwara.

Bhul chuk maaf karnee ji!