Langar On Campus!

kirpadhar

Waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee phateh

sangat jee this is a massive benti from the Leicester University Sikh Society...we are holding a langar on campus on thursday the 29th March 2007 ...thats next week!!!

It is taking place at Percy Gee Queens Theatre Hall from 10.00am to 12.30pm and then 3pm to 5.30pm... and we need as many free people to come and help as possible. Birmingham Uni did one and got 3000 people...we are expecting possibly half of that amount...

also we need langar sevadaars to prepare the langar on wednesday night 6pm and thursday morning will begin preparing for the day ahead at 6am.

Also on wednesday nite at Gur Panth Parkash Gurdwara in leicester at Ashford Road there will be a sevadaar meeting in the eve on wednesday to explain rules etc for all sevadaars.

Please Please Please contact Sabrina Kaur on sabrinakaur@hotmail.com for more information or call 07738123129

This is a massive seva and a great task ...so please apna jeevan safla karo by getting gurus khushian and doing some seva.

Thank you all for reading

Vich Dunia sev kamaeeai, ta dargeh baisen paiyai

Serve in this world and you will receive a place in the court of the lord

sangat jee this is a massive benti from the Leicester University Sikh Society...we are holding a langar on campus on thursday the 29th March 2007 ...thats next week!!!

It is taking place at Percy Gee Queens Theatre Hall from 10.00am to 12.30pm and then 3pm to 5.30pm... and we need as many free people to come and help as possible. Birmingham Uni did one and got 3000 people...we are expecting possibly half of that amount...

also we need langar sevadaars to prepare the langar on wednesday night 6pm and thursday morning will begin preparing for the day ahead at 6am.

Also on wednesday nite at Gur Panth Parkash Gurdwara in leicester at Ashford Road there will be a sevadaar meeting in the eve on wednesday to explain rules etc for all sevadaars.

Please Please Please contact Sabrina Kaur on sabrinakaur@hotmail.com for more information or call 07738123129

This is a massive seva and a great task ...so please apna jeevan safla karo by getting gurus khushian and doing some seva.

Thank you all for reading

Vich Dunia sev kamaeeai, ta dargeh baisen paiyai

Serve in this world and you will receive a place in the court of the lord

Gurfateh ji,

Being in India, I can be of no help. But yes, I wish you all the best and may all who eat this langar go nearer to sikhi..

• 5 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/art...t_feature.shtml

<H1 class=s1>Reviews</H1>You are in: Leicester > Entertainment > Theatre and Arts > Reviews > Langar: A truly multicultural experiencet.gifm_langar_volunteers_203_152_203x152.gifLangar volunteers<H2 class=s3>Langar: A truly multicultural experience</H2>By Tim Sansom, Guest Contributor

Leicester University's Sikh Society organised the second ever University-based Langar, where anyone, no matter what their background is, can enjoy a free meal and find out about Sikhism.

t.gif

t.gifI believe that university life is all about experiencing new cultural customs for the first time, and students had that opportunity when the Leicester University Sikh Society organised the first ever Langar on campus.

Free kitchen

langar_serving_203_152_203x152.gifLangar at Leicester University 2007The Langar or "free kitchen" is a key feature in Sikh life where people can sit and eat together on the floor regardless of issues like religion, gender and status. Whilst preparing and serving the vegetarian food, Sikhs can practice the principles of equality, which is a key element in their teaching.

This Langar took place in the Students' Union's Queen's Hall and by the time that I arrived at the event, the kitchen was in full swing.

The Sikhs were very friendly and showed no obvious signs of tiredness, even though they had been preparing the food at the local temple since 06:00 that morning.

A series of random yet friendly guides helped me through the preparation process for Langar. I was given a raffle ticket in exchange for my shoes. I was helped to wash my hands, and I gained a bright orange bandanna-styled head cover.

I suddenly felt very self-consciousness, due to my hatred of wearing head gear, but I trooped into the kitchen to gather a tray of tasteful food including a chick pea curry, yoghurt and a large dollop of rice pudding.

No frills

langar_head_dressing_152_20_152x203.gifLangar at Leicester University 2007I desperately tried to find a comfortable position on the wooden-panelled floor, but I gradually became more relaxed. This was eating at its most basic form, but it was refreshing. No fripperies, no pretentious ingredients, no pointless dressings, but simple food eaten in a no nonsense way.

I had a particularly enlightened chat with the former president of Leicester University Sikh society.

I learnt more about Sikhism in our 40-minute conversation then I would have achieved from reading a 'Let's learn Sikhism' guide.

We discussed a whole range of issues including equality, status, Sikh gurus, the Golden Temple, and why rice pudding is a popular Sikh dish.

Enlightening

I came out of the Queen's Hall with a sore back but an enhanced mind.

The University of Birmingham had set up the first campus based Langar in 2005, and Leicester University was the second institution to organise a similar event.

Leicester hope to organise a similar event in 2008 and the Sikh Society should be assured that a Langar provides a valuable insight for non-Sikhs about this key world religion.

t.giflast updated: 14/04/07