Thinking Of The Gurdwaras 10-15 Yrs Ago..

what happened...

i remember goto the gurdwara when i was younger, phaat constant..........etc. the things that gets 2 me most is our history.

10 15 yrs ago, gotot he gurdwara alott of pictures of shaheeds, not only from the 80s but throughout history. ie. the singhs that came under the train trying to give imprisoned sangat langar. shaheeds fighting the brits..the kookas, kharkhoos, singh sabha movement..udham singh bhagat singh......u goto a gurdwara 2day u barely find a imprint of our rich history.

what has changed?

what happened...

i remember goto the gurdwara when i was younger, phaat constant..........etc. the things that gets 2 me most is our history.

10 15 yrs ago, gotot he gurdwara alott of pictures of shaheeds, not only from the 80s but throughout history. ie. the singhs that came under the train trying to give imprisoned sangat langar. shaheeds fighting the brits..the kookas, kharkhoos, singh sabha movement..udham singh bhagat singh......u goto a gurdwara 2day u barely find a imprint of our rich history.

what has changed?

I think perceptions have changed as to what constitutes freedom fighters. Nowerdays the labels terrorist or extremists are thrown around a lot and people seem to want to get away from that quite heavily. Besides with the newer "MTV generation" education in general doesn't seem to appeal to them, let alone history. I'm not saying they aren't going to colleges and unis but rather that an indepth interest in history and culture is missing.

Many people also feel these things are in our past and have little relevance to the lives we lead today. In the diaspora, many raised up abroad will relate little to Punjabi politics.

But you do still get some Gurdwaras that do have pictures of the events you mentioned in them.

But another important point is that the youth of today need the information presented to them differently and not as outdated paintings. This probably contributes quite a bit to their apathy to these things.

Guest AkhaliTaksaliSingh

I think it also comes down to understanding of what happened in our history. In today's world, people are too stuck on proof. Science is one of the causes, people choose to accept science becuase they have hard proof, yet people don't believe stories told by our ancestors etc for they can't see it happen becuase they don't feel it was possible. It's a bit like that question by that Singh asking about the Kakaar's when Khalsa was created.

Secondly, TOO many people choose to learn about other religions and beliefs before learning about their OWN Virsa and Dharm. Pictures help explain and describe to children about WHO we are, and who our ancestors are, but since the world today is so advanced, televisions and other materials take larger effect on minds and actions. The other materials such as books, some are written so wrongly, some are outright biased and against our Dharm. Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaj knew MANY languages, Maharaj Jee said we can only know what the opposition is saying about us if we understand what language/ tongue they are using.

Quite embarassing to say that many people in our Dharm and culture don't know what happened, just so we could walk the street today.

:e:

these dai'z to b onist ... our gurudwaras are alll propaa lookin lovely and put thousands of pounds of money into .... and in pratan times the singhs use to b propa pakeh and da gurudwara's state use to b reallly bad now its almost the other way around... the commitie members r courpt dnt help out the youth in ne thing... its a gurudwara a place of worship sometimes i feel as if its a bad thing to pray and do kirtan in some gurudwara's.

bhul chuk maaf karo fateh