Yet, Another Mela. When Will We Wake Up!

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ke fateh

After the recent distubances in the midlands, and the subsequent cancellation of wolves mela. I was hoping the rest of the British sikh sangat would follow suit and ban mela. But here we go again theres a vaisakhi mela happening this sunday in Plumstead, south east london. These mela are not religiously based, but yet they take the name of 'vaisakhi', i know what some of you are thinking - vaisakhi relates to culture! I'm sorry to disagree, culture may have a very small bearing. But the main reason vaisakhi is celebrated is because Guru Ji gave Amrit. the cultural side of vaisakhi wouldn't even be blinked at in this country. Just look at Hola mohalla, its hardly celebrated here. So these mele are just money making idea's for the committees, a place to get drunk and eye up and mix with the opposite sex. Sorry but i don't like the word vaisakhi related to these anti-sikh activities.

sorry if i've offended any1.

wjkk wjkf

I think the day we stop pointing fingers and say look at them they are distorting sikhi! Take the time to think about it, simply because we recognise that they arent doing sikhi related things doesnt mean we take to arms and bring a huge argument. Instead of going online and arguing about it, why not think of, devise a plan on how to increase religious activities to carry out on vasakhi. Instead of just sitting idle at least that way we have a way of physically combatting against it. Hmm what do i mean? Well what do mela ppl do to change pps attitude of sikhi. THey know people like bhangra, how? because its on tv 24/7. So we should really be researching what is it that makes people like sikhi. Find that out you have half the battle. Personally i think the best way to combat it is to firstly set up a good communication link, preferably phone numbers or emails. Once a simple, effective link is established you can hold a keertan session anywhere anyplace, especially in england where there is an abundance of gurdwaras. Arrange older youth to set young kids challenges, a colouiring in book full of sikh warriors and sikh articles. Best drawing wins etc. Sikhi related quizez. Advanced youth could even have sikhudo (sukudo), this would entail sikh numbers. Older youth could be quized on things like name the las 5 jathedars etc etc. Rather than go to melas and cause havoc, instead of looking at other peoples negative aspects we should aspire to make a positive trend. We look at so much negativity that it rubs off and even gursikhs get entangled in this negative vibe. Take this topic for example. So stay in chardi kala, lets make a change rather than ask people to change.

P.s. I hope none of that sounded too violent and no one takes a sword and chases me around the screen (lol)

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ke fateh

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ooops, looks like i provoked an argument. What im trying to say is:

at a vaisakhi religious prog there should be maximum sikhi parchar.definitely no meat, no alcohol, no bhangra.if these kind of mele exist, then fair enough.

types that do exist- for example i once went to vasakhi in the sq at trafalgar sq. the first couple of hrs were fine-kirtan, katha etc.(out of about 6 hrs they gave bout 2 to religious stuff)

then afterwards it was just basically a gig. People were blatently not there for the religious aspect, they were there to get drunk and mess about with the opposite sex, i know this cos i met some mates (gals and boys) and they admitted this to me and they were proud to be doing it.(i know i got some messed up mates,but they still my bro's n sis's, and hopefully 1day maharaj will do kirpa).I don't agree with the taleban jibe cos sikhi is an open, interfaith, respectful religion, i just wish people would stop using the religion for their own means. I agree with 1 earlier brother that mele can educate, but im sorry most mele i bin to don't have langar, don't have anything on 84 and the closest they have to sikhi is the dtf stall!! maybe im going to the wrong parks!!

if you took guru ji, what would they think of their sikhs at these mele?? on a earlier thread it was discussed about guru ji punishing masands for looting sikhs,these mele committees are doin the same, i hear they charge loads for stalls.

A personally think the only reason we celebrate vasakhi is because the amrit sanchar was done then.so plaese don't use the cultural/harvest ploy.

apologies again if i've offended.

wjkk wjkf

TEchnically speaking, vasakhi was set up by guru ram dass ji, this was done to give sikhs a structure and a date where we can celebrate together, in unity. It just happened to be that amrit was at the same date later on.