A Question On My Mind : Getting Attacked During Akhand Paath

Guest Papi

personally, i'm not a big fan of akhand paaths, i think sehaj paath are MUCH better.

and this 48 hour rule for akhand paath seems to be made up not too long ago.

if we look the amount of akhand paaths being done today, this world should be sach khand by now, but its far from it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally, i'm not a big fan of akhand paaths, i think sehaj paath are MUCH better.

and this 48 hour rule for akhand paath seems to be made up not too long ago.

if we look the amount of akhand paaths being done today, this world should be sach khand by now, but its far from it.

There is no fan, you either follow gurbani in any event or you dont. Akhand Path is simply reciting the Gurbani over the 2/3 days and nothing wrong with that. Gurbani in any form of event is Gurbani, it wont change the meaning.

What do you think is the problem behind reciting Gurbani in this context i.e. why isnt the world SACHKHAND by now?

Guest Papi

i can see how that came off all wierd. i coudln't write it properly

all i was trying to say was that this 48 hr rule for example doens't fit. i mean, i've seen people do paath soooo fast cause they are "behind schedule" that an average person can't follow along!!! thats why i would always support sehaj paath, where can do paath as slow as we like and understand while we read bani :devil:

now, why isn't this world sachkhand yet? simple. first we dont listen to gurbani, if we do then we dont even try to follow it. thats the main reason. bhai gurdaas ji said that we can't reach anywhere in our spiritual journey unelss we do kamai of guru shabad

i can see how that came off all wierd. i coudln't write it properly

all i was trying to say was that this 48 hr rule for example doens't fit. i mean, i've seen people do paath soooo fast cause they are "behind schedule" that an average person can't follow along!!! thats why i would always support sehaj paath, where can do paath as slow as we like and understand while we read bani :devil:

now, why isn't this world sachkhand yet? simple. first we dont listen to gurbani, if we do then we dont even try to follow it. thats the main reason. bhai gurdaas ji said that we can't reach anywhere in our spiritual journey unelss we do kamai of guru shabad

oh right great more understandable now....I knew the answer, but I just wanted to see if you knew it as you posed the question and you did its right, If one does act upon and do what the Gurbani says then we are lost and also to remember when reciting bani we should do it with fulll faith (full sharda) in comparison to what you said that in Sehaj Path it is recited slowly and (BIG) hopefully with full shardha.

I found this for the first one, 1964 incident:

The sangat of Poanta Sahib had requested head of Tarna Dal (not Nihal Singh, but the one before him) to visit the Gurdwara. They complained that the residing masand was abusing the Gurdwara premises through drinking, raping women that came alone, and making prostitutes dance inside. After several such requests Babaji decided to visit Poanta Sahib accompanied by 13 GurSikhs. They left, from Gurdwara Haria Welan Hoshiarpur, riding horses and horse drawn carts. When they arrived near Gurdwara Poanta Sahib, two GurSikhs carried Babaji's message for the masand requesting initiation of a Akhand Path at the Gurdwara. The masand did not give a definitive answer, instead assured to respond before the next morning. Meanwhile the masand confided with the local police chief, one of his corrupt friends who endorsed and permitted his evil acts.

Babaji started the Akhand Path next morning which proceeded uninterrupted for 2 days. On the 2nd day, the masand came with the police. They arrested Babaji who was outside at that time and fired at the GurSikhs inside, who were conducting the Akhand Path. The GurSikhs had no guns. For they had not come with the intent to fight, but rather to hear the sangat's concerns. As a result they were brutally massacred. Eleven died and two survived. As each Pathi was shot while reciting the Guru Granth Sahib, another simply pushed his body and continued the uninterrupted recitation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib. Nihal Singh, 21 at the time, continued with his choar sewa (even when he had been shot 3 times) until the last GurSikh was shot. As the Akhand Path was interrupted, Nihal Singh finally fell. The only survivor was the youngest GurSikh, a 11 year old, who was found hiding behind a nagara (drums). Besides him all others were presumed dead. It wasn't until the bodies were being loaded up in a cart that a small child saw Nihal Singh breath and informed the local sikhs. The local sikhs who had gathered by now, screamed to get him some medical attention. Fortunately they succeeded in their efforts. He received medical attention and survived with Vaaheguru's grace. He was subsequently honored by many gurdwaras as "Jinda-Shaheed" Jathedar. The masand was finally removed. Akhand paths are held each year in the commemoration of this event.

obviously there was a reason why the gursikhs wanted to carry on the uninterrupted akhand paat. im sure they had more gyaan, and followed a stricter maryada then all of us. stop raising dodgy questions and as some menbers like to put it just jap naaam and all will be ok

Guest Hardeep_S_Khalsa

Blessed souls like Bhai Randhir Singh use to sit throught an whole akhand paath. Also back in the days if one wanted to recieve amrit, they had to sit through out an akahd paath. Even at some gurdwhara now, if you are one of the pathi singhs doing a raul, they must also sit out through an akand path, even after their raul has finished.