Sikhi Comic

wjkk wjkf

Make the Singhs look like hardened warriors - not pretty boys!. Guys who have been through the hardest times and fought grim battles against all odds and have seen it all. Thats what Singhs were like during the 1700's!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want, make some reference to a few things that need addressing in the community. Firstly lack of training, this was a part of everyday Khalsa warrior life that is often neglected today. People hide behind a facade of spiritualism but this is only one half of the story (i.e. miri piri). Hence some people see Sikhs who look really soft and take advantage in various ways. I recall reading a Persian account of Banda's time and the Moghul said words to the effect of "...and when the Sikhs exited the fort in their fakeers dress [to fight the Moghul soldiers], the Imperial troops were terror struck" - I doubt this would have been the case if they were the hippy type. In another account I read, the guy [a Moghul commnader] talked about how the SIkhs killed four war elephants that was sent against them.

Also you could make a point about superstition. Today many people seem to have equated faith with blind unquestioning belief. I hear from some people that they expect some sort of miraculous events to take place for Khalsa rule to be established. When Sikhs established their rule last time itr was through politics and warfare - not any miracles. So living in reality is a point.

It may be important to highlight that it wasn't all sucess and that a few times the Khalsa faced heavy losses, vadaa ghallughara, you could show the reaction and some despair after that and the rise to chardi kala.

I've gone on a bit now. Can't wait to see your comic.

Have you read/viewed 300 by Frank Miller? If not I advise you to get a copy for some conceptual ideas.

Don't stifle creativity Punjabi link!!

And it isn't only nerds who read comics...lol

When movies are made - the first part is creating a storyboard, which is in fact very similar to comic drawings....so it is excellent that members of the community are developing their skills in this area....you understand?

Besides, given the "dumbed down" nature of many of our brothers and sisters nowadays it is a good idea to give them some roots in different formats....plus I appreciate cool artwork....

hut ja mundaya!

When movies are made - the first part is creating a storyboard, which is in fact very similar to comic drawings....so it is excellent that members of the community are developing their skills in this area....you understand?

Besides, given the "dumbed down" nature of many of our brothers and sisters nowadays it is a good idea to give them some roots in different formats....plus I appreciate cool artwork....

hut ja mundaya!

Yeah, but your viewers don't view storyboard of a movie before or after watching a movie. It is good that people are using their skills to reach out youths, but a lot of kids today would rather watch tv than read a book. I think creating a movie or cartoon show would be more effective way to reach out to the youth.

hut ja mundaya!

Yeah, but your viewers don't view storyboard of a movie before or after watching a movie. It is good that people are using their skills to reach out youths, but a lot of kids today would rather watch tv than read a book. I think creating a movie or cartoon show would be more effective way to reach out to the youth.

Encourage the development of artistic creativity dude. I mean that 300 film was one of the biggest grossing films this year and it started off as a comic. Same as SinCity, Batman...the list goes on. Who knows, maybe some of those Sikh youth reading the comics today will grow up and make a similar movie one day! We already have someone making a Sikh computer game so it isn't unfeasible or even unrealistic. One step at a time, we have so much catching up to do.

hut ja mundaya!

Encourage the development of artistic creativity dude. I mean that 300 film was one of the biggest grossing films this year and it started off as a comic. Same as SinCity, Batman...the list goes on. Who knows, maybe some of those Sikh youth reading the comics today will grow up and make a similar movie one day! We already have someone making a Sikh computer game so it isn't unfeasible or even unrealistic. One step at a time, we have so much catching up to do.

I don't think the Sikh community is that behind. We already got some Sikh actors, actress and directors. We already have stories in our history books that we can translate into making movies. The resources are there, but the question is do we want to make an effort of using our resources to reach out to the youth?