Shud Paath

Fauja

Even Taksaalis don't really do that huna?

The Siharis and Onkars are just there for gramatical purposes (and to balance out the number of letters on each line)

Eg: How would u pronounce:

shs qv nYn nn nYn hih qoih kau shs mUriq nnw eyk quohI ]

Here, it should be pronounced qohI and grammatically translated as quhI

actually u pronounce evry symbol -go 2 a taksali singh hus had full santhiya

charanjeet singh -patti in baba thakur singh jis time and babajis sevak gives full santhiya at slough everyday 6-8pm

guroo tegh bahadur gurdwara leicester and go 2 damdamitaksal website 4 mre info

You do pronounce the sihaares and other symbols. This is why we NEED to get santhia to learn how to read gurbani properly. If the siharee wasnt to be used, it wouldnt be in the word.

There is a way of saying the siharee properly but will take time to learn and sometimes you will have to sit there for 10-15 mins and maybe say the same word over and over again till u get it right. But this is gurbani and we need to make the effort.

Please use the taksal websites to find your nearest teachers. I know there are taksali singhs teaching in slough, smethwick (and across birmingham and wolverhampton), leeds/bradford and leicester. There ae others also around the country but u will need to contact the taksal websites for more info. Santhia is VITALLY important for all sikhs. Please please make the effort to learn!!

^^totally agree, siharee's would not be there if they had no need to be pronounced

i have been learning Shudh Gurbani Paath from Bhai Baldeep Singh and he is gooooood! (GurKirpa)

and sometimes in the middle of a lesson he will make us do 35 Akhri plus sounds

and yeah it sounds funny when we're sitting there going "a aa o oo s(i) seeeeee" lol but it makes sooooo much difference and you can recognise the change. :WW:

Here's the common sense of why we pronounce every laga matra (letter)

1) if somene were to ask u to write jap(u)ji sahib on paper off by heart, would you be able to do it exactly how it is written in Guru sahib's beerd. well if u don't pronounce every letter, how will u remember its there (like the so called silent siharees n onkars at the ends of words that we dont pronounce) when it comes down to writing it?

2) guru sahib got us away from doing pointless things so why would he put the sihaars n onkaars n so called (silent) letters there if they had no point, it would just be there for no reason, but in fact adding or excluding letters often changes the meaning of the entire word or even the entire sentence

3) when Guru Gobind Singh sed all bani off by heart at Takth Damdama Sahib after the war was over, he did not write the bani. He had two sikhs of his write the bani, namely Baba Deep Singh and Baba Mani Singh. Neither of these two sikhs had previously memorized all the bani so even they did not know where the laga matras went. Now if Guru sahib only spoke the words and Baba Deep Singh n Baba Mani Singh wrote them down well then how come they added sihaarees and onkars at the end if they are supposed to be silent.. obviously Guru Gobind Singh sed the siharees and onkars n other so called silent letters, which is why they wrote it down.. thats why the laga matra are in bani in the first place.. because thats how guru sahib used to say it.. they wrote down every single letter they heard come out of Guru Sahib's mouth

Remeber this is Dhur Ki Bani (Bani sent from above) .. so who are we to say something is silent, when is written right there in front of us, is nah like there's instructions on the first page saying dont pronounce so and so.. say it like its written.. don't miss even a letter.. cuz that single letter is a bakhshish of guru sahib..

I like to look at it like this.. say we have a math formula Ax +Bx = Cx .. well if we sed the x's were silent n only did A + B = C.. we would get the wrong answer.. just like in bani.. i treat bani as a formula to attach myself to guru sahib's feet (through his loving words).. if i miss even one part of the formula, i might not get the answer or might nah get all of the correct answer, maybe some parts lol..

i tink u get the jist of it.,

he pronounces everything but only to himself kinda thing.. like he knows he has to pronounce them so he kinda says them but there isn't a WHOLE lot of emphasis on it \

so if u closed ur eyes n tried ta follow along n see the shabad in ur head, u wouldn't be able to cuz u wouldn't be able to make out if there is a siharee at the end of a word or if its just a mukta